Did Rutherford love his wife?

by VM44 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• VM44
    VM44

Did Rutherford love his wife?

If he did, why did he reside in Brooklyn, while she lived in California?

If he did, why during the times he did visited California he resided at Beth Sarim in San Diego, when his wife, Mary, resided in the Los Angeles area, where his son Malcolm also lived?

The conclusion is, No, he did not love his wife!

What do you think?

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

I am interesting in people's views as to how Rutherford thought and behaved.

Trying to get into his mind to see what made him tick. Not an easy thing to do.

--VM44

• deeskis
    deeskis

I think he had ISSUES!

As 1st Corinithians 13 defined:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails...................

He failed me, and a lot of other people on this board. whether he loved his wife is ancient history, but I think not!

• freetosee
    freetosee

Hi,

This interview gives just a little insight on Rutherford relationship to his wife:
    -DR. JENNIFER HENDERSON INTERVIEW WITH JERRY BERGMAN ON WATCHTOWER ATTORNEY HAYDEN COVINGTON-

The once vice-president of the WTS H. Covington is discribed as having “…really idolized Rutherford. For example, I knew that Rutherford’s wife had a stroke and that she wasn’t in too good of health (she died in 1962). There were rumors about his philandering. So, I asked him about that. I remember he was laying down when I asked him about the philandering rumors, and he got up, obviously very, very angry…very angry… and he looked at me and said, “If your wife was paralyzed, what would you do?” Number one, I thought I’d better not pursue that line of questioning. It was not welcome. Number two, he seemed to be saying that, yes, he did have paramours, but …”
    http://www.watch-tower.com/watch-tower/www.freeminds.org/history/covington2.htm

It always astonishes how the heroic WT leaders conduct themselves and act towards others!

freetosee

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.watch-tower.com/watch-tower/www.freeminds.org/history/covington2.htm

Thanks for the quote, freetosee.

It's hard to say if he loved his wife; he might say he did in his own way; not that I'm buying that.

Notice how the WTS dances around the fact that when living in California that Rutherford and his wife did not live together under the same roof. Ostensibly, they were both in bad health and that is why they spent so much time in California.

Blondie

• luna2
    luna2

Seems to me that if he loved her, he might still have lived with her (or even nearby) so he could see and talk to her once in a blue moon. Didn't seem to have much love or concern for his son either. He apparently saw to it that they were provided for (by the WTS) but that's about it. I have no proof or research to quote...just my impression.

• snarf
    snarf

Did he provide for them? Very interesting thought. I would have to say "no" because if you love someone, you want to spend time with them, especially if you are in the same state.

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

The verdict of history is clear: No. He did'nt love his wife, I mean.

But then he did'nt love anybody.

Except himself.

Cheers

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Here are some pointers:

• Rutherford was an alcoholic
    • He considered himself "above the law of the land" when Prohibition outlawed the possession and consumption of alcohol.
    • He believed himself to be above the laws of the land and even his own laws that he forced his followers to obey
    • He was gave scathing sermons regarding the church and government
    • He considered himself to be the sole provider of doctrine and no one should ever question him
    • He considered women to be lesser than men as shown by some of his comments:
      • women were only "a stack of bones and a hank of hair." (September 15, 1941 WT, page 287)
    • Neither his wife nor son went to his funeral
    • It is very possible he had affairs with more than one woman
    • He had easy access to women through the adjoining door from his room to the next
    • He found manipulation easy ie getting a branch overseer to shave his beard

So what we have is a raging alcoholic who thinks his law is the only law, women are lessor beings and he had no problem shutting people who crossed him out.

In an era when divorce was rarely done his wife left him and took his son. There seems to be no record that he ever had anything to do with either of them after that despite the fact he frequently lived in Beth Sarim which was not far from where his wife and son lived.

Did he love his wife?

I suspect he was glad to be rid of her so he could do whatever he pleased without a wife and child to be responsible for.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

He who can't take care of his own household, can't take care of the Lords household.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit