Suicide: Bearing the Burden - Maximus to Jayhawk

by Eusebius Hieronymus 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Eusebius Hieronymus
    Eusebius Hieronymus

Maximus has requested that I post the following, for Jayhawk especially, and for others who are the living victims of the tragic act of suicide.

While all suicides are devastating tragedies, JW suicides are especially hard to bear, depending on the viewpoint of the survivor. One person may be shattered, while another merely accepts the possibility of a resurrection of a loved one. Almost invariably, the deceased receives some kind of mental judgement from survivors who are not related but are at least casually acquainted.

For the person with a JW background, suicide is almost invariably tinged with concerns about judgement from local Witnesses. And worse, judgement from Jehovah. "How does God feel about this act?" That often becomes a most plaguing question. Yet it is clear that those who take their life are so disturbed that they act out of pure compulsion, their perception of reality so distorted that responsibility is most certainly reduced. Surely such an act can be viewed with complete compassion.

We can never get into the mind of one who commits suicide, but we do learn from individuals who have attempted it but were thwarted. I’ve had all too much experience with both. From the living, I have learned that invariably the pain of hanging on has become worse than the pain of letting go. No choice is seen but death that snuffs out pain like a candle extinguished.

Those who attempted suicide but were thwarted somehow, tell us that whatever the problem, it became the central focus of life, the only thing that existed. One cannot conceive that life will ever get better. That pain is too great to bear.

The survivor invariably feels betrayed. S/he is abandoned, rejected. The very natural thought is: "How could he do this to me? Didn’t he think of US? Wasn’t my/our love enough?"

And so we search for whys. Was he angry? Why? Why? With it come the if onlys. "If only I had realized how sick he was. If only I had come home earlier." Suicide seems like an accusation, not just a loss.

It’s all well and good for a survivor to understand this intellectually, but one still feels confused emotionally. Simple answers don’t heal broken hearts. It’s important to understand the puzzle may never be answered or resolved, because the truth now lies in the grave. One simply has to accept that, and go on living.

How do you work your way through recovery? The process of mending a broken heart is painful and slow. You must accept your feelings, draw from your inner resources, and develop positive attitudes toward the past, present and future. The journey of healing starts with small steps leading from darkness to hope, from death to a renewed commitment to life.

You may feel robbed of pleasant memories; bad memories may prevail. That’s very common. Before you can get in touch with good memories, you must own and deal with negative images. As the hurt gradually becomes less intense, positive feelings will surface and start to linger.

Acknowledge your anger. You may find yourself angry at God for having allowed this to happen or at others for not preventing it. Some persons have found it helpful to write a letter to the deceased expressing angry feelings. Ultimately anger needs to be healed through a willingness to forgive.

Turn guilt into forgiveness. Survivors blame themselves for what they did or did not do. They have the sense of something left unfinished, something suddenly interrupted. Guilt goes hand in hand with feelings of powerlessness. It can paralyze and demoralize us, or we can transform it into self-forgiveness and a greater capacity for loving those who are still around us.

Healing takes place when you realize that you cannot judge your yesterday with the knowledge of today, that love alone may not be enough to save another’s life, that there are limits to your power and responsibility, that you were not the only influence in the life of the deceased.

Accept the loneliness. Loneliness is the price we pay for loving. When a loved one dies, part of us dies too. That can last a lifetime, because no one can replaced the loved one. Aching pain is always ready to pounce. Yet loneliness can help you realize the depths of your love. You can become more sensitive to the losses of others and to the pain others experience.

Experts tell us that suicide is a devastating blow to self-esteem. Rationally or irrationally, the survivors may feel judged by the community for having failed. The shame many survivors feel keeps them from acknowledging the suicide and talking about it—an important part of the recovery process. You must rebuild confidence in yourself.

Reach out to others. You can choose to let your brokenness defeat you, or you can decide to get up and get going. Once you have the courage to place your hurt, your sensitivity, and your compassion at the service of others, you have discovered the key to help yourself. For when pain is used to reach out to others, it becomes creative and transforming love.

Take heart! Suicide leave deep scars on the survivors, but there is no turning back. You can’t change the past. But you can change your outlook.

Let go of blaming yourself or the deceased for unhappiness. Live for yourself, and learn to take responsibility for your own future. That is essential when JW-dom is in the equation, because JWs are completely content to let someone else do their thinking—a pattern that must be completely broken if you are to climb up out of the cultic pit.

You can come out with keen appreciation for the solidarity you have experienced with others, and with a deep awareness of the beauty and the fragility of life. And you can begin to see life not so much as a problem to be solved, but as a gift to be joyously embraced every day.

With thanks to Father Arnaldo Pangrazzi.

"I know now what I must do.
    Find you with me, you who have died and left me,
    and face you and your leaving,
    and hold you with me long enough, this time,
    to say my own goodbye to you in my own way,
    taking as long as I need to take."
    --Alla Bozarth-Campbell

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

"Maximus has requested that I post the following, ..."

E.H., who are you? Moses? Speaking for the "burning bush"?

If Max can control himself from falsely accusing me, he is in no danger of having his sensitive ears hurt by "street language".

Geez, a little "f.u." and he goes bananas.

I personally want Max to come back.
    Please, pretty please?

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

Eusebius,

Thank you for posting this. I would very much like to put it up on the web, with Maximus' permission. I have a couple of essays on JW suicides up on my website already and want to create a sub-section, and this would be perfect to add to it. With appropriate credit, and without editing, of course.

I would e mail this to you personally, but your e mail is locked. Please, when you speak to Maximus, tell him that Esmeralda is worried about him and is available through e mail to offer him support if he needs it. I am imaginging that he is overwhelmed right now. Happens to everyone and he needs to get his strength back to continue the vital work that he has been doing. He is a treasure, to so many of us.

I know how burnout feels. I am sending him all good wishes and lots of love. I hope he finds peace within himself amid all the turmoil around him. Please pass that message on to him?

I appreciate you bringing his post to the forum, and Max, if you're reading this, know that you are loved, and respected.

Esmeralda

• Anchor
    Anchor

This post may represent Maximus' response to Jayhawk's unspeakable loss of a father, but the concepts presented are applicable to all of us who are struggling with loss. The organization, the Society, Watchtower, whatever, has been a thief and a robber. Things have been stolen from us.

We've been cheated.

All the pretty pictures of little girls with hibiscus petals in their hair, petting lions. Not pie in the sky when you die, like the communists or Marxists taught, WE were promised pie any day now. Armageddon is near. Preach harder and faster and you can bring it on. Slack off and you delay it.

Now we grow old. We decay. Thanks, Metatron, for little pieces of hope that we can stave off death by scientific life extension. Sigh.

Note to elders who will attend the November and December schools: Bring lots of No-Doze, drink lots of coffee to stay awake. I've had a preview. How do you spell BORING. Any real change in the organization is years away. I predict the biggest elder exodus the organization has ever seen after the new school.

Anchor

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

MAD,

Actually it would be Aaron speaking for Moses, not Moses speaking for the Burning Bush. Get your bible aliterations straight dude.

Plain and simple, suicide sucks for the survivor, it's a permanant solution to a temporary problem solving deficit. I work in the arena of suicide prevention. There are no easy answers.

Yeru

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Well written for a good purpose.

Thanks and my sympathys for anyone who has been a surviver.

I'll defend your right to say it, but it doesn't mean I beleive it.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    The journey of healing starts with small steps leading from darkness to hope, from death to a renewed commitment to life…. Before you can get in touch with good memories, you must own and deal with negative images. As the hurt gradually becomes less intense, positive feelings will surface and start to linger.

HI Max! For you and I, and others who understand,

The beginning:
    Hope is dashed, it vanishes
    Confidence does not rescue, it is nonexistent
    Complete dependence on others
    Life is scary, which explains the alternative

The lowest point:
    Bleak despair rules
    Fear is unrelenting
    Sleeplessness steals away any escape
    Life is scary, which explains the alternative

The glimpse:
    Battle after battle nothing changes, until one day
    Bleakness surrenders a single fleeting moment of hope
    Hope is dashed before it can be savored
    life is scary, but you wonder why the change

Turning the corner:
    Battling harder with the help of friends
    Bleakness surrenders more fleeting moments of hope
    Hope begins to rise from the ashes
    Life, you begin to feel it again

Home stretch:
    Tears flow realizing positive change is real
    Assessing the reality of life opens your eyes
    Reassessment uncovers long overlooked treasures
    Life is worth living

Results:
    Realize communication your body and soul had long been speaking
    Acting in harmony with both
    Acceptance
    Living

--------------------------

MA:

Please can the sarcasm. Be a friend to friends.

• Anchor
    Anchor

• CPiolo
    CPiolo

Max and E.H.:

Thanks for the insightful post. My first wife tried to commit suicide twice, and an ex-girlfriend threatened suicide, having called me long after we had broken up to tell me what she was going to do --jump of the Golden Gate Bridge. Thankfully my ex-wife never succeeded and my ex-girlfriend didn't follow through on her threat. But to know the pain such an individual must be feeling to even contemplate such an act would, I imagine, be beyond most people's capabilities unless they'd been in a similar place themselves. As Yeru said, there are no easy answers, and as the post so well expresses, those left behind are often wracked by guilt and shame.

Marvin:

I enjoyed the poem. Are you the author?

CPiolo

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Eusebius,

good post, nice words.

Marvin: good words indeed, thanks.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest