How do you introduce a cat to a dog

by looking_glass 18 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I have a GF that has a 5 year old dog. Very sweet and easy going. She is traveling a lot over the next two months and the person who was suppose to watch her dog has all of a sudden backed out. I told her that I would watch the doggie if no one else could. And from the looks of it, I will be watching the dog. However, I have a cat. In the past when we tried to introduce my 3 year old cat to her dog, my cat was not having any part of it. I have gone on line to see what suggestions are out there, but them seem less then practical. Any one out there have any suggestions or a plan of what worked for them. Help!!!

• misspeaches
  • Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Cat meet Dog.

-Eduardo

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Ha,ha,ha Orb. Actually it was more like cat try not to claw face off of dog. The dog is about 75 pounds (part pit bull part white german shep) and my cat is about 10 pounds of pissyness. My cat has twice scratched the dog in the past. It was tramatic for me and the dog. The poor doggie was whimpering in the corner by the time it was over. My life would be less complicated if they could just tolerate each other.

Thanx Peaches. I have read similar things. I am just wondering if anyone out there has practical applications. I guess my real problem is patience. I would love for my kitty and the doggie to become best friends and then go skipping off into a field of lilies of the valley, but it appears that is not my future. Woe and angst! The idea of having to juggle rushing between my condo and my GF's condo is not really that appealing, so if these guys could get along that would be great.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

With a side of biscuits and gravy, and perhaps a bowl of iced tea?

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

Here's the deal LG....

I have a bassett hound and a pitbull...both very good dogs. If necessary, go get a baby gate...they're around 20-30 bucks american dollars. and then there is this...and trust me on this...i am quoting my vet directly...

''If the cat is laying on his/her back while being ''attacked'' by the dog, then leave it alone. If the it's a play thing, the cat will get away at its own will. If not...trust me...you'll know.''

And I figured out when to say NO! A lot of people mistake play for fighting.

Basically...let them introduce themselves to one another through a door, or a babygate prefarably...(sp?)...

It's funny b/c the signals for dogs and cats are completely mixed up.

Just trust them to get along. If it gets out of hand, you'll know.

And don't take kitty meowing as something you need to move in on...when they ''SCREAM''....then it's time to move in.

luv, jojo

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

About 14 years ago I brought home two kittens and had to introduce them to my Australian Shephard. It was a frightful event. It took two of us to control the animals. One went in and leashed the dog. Then the other brought the kittens-in-a-box into the house and to a back bedroom and closed the door.

Next calmed the dog down.

Then brought the dog - still on a leash - to the kittens. The dog behaved but the kittens hissed and spat. (It was scary but kind of funny, too!) I knew if the kittens kept at it, the dog would retaliate and then there would be no more kittens in my house.

Soo... I kept them apart that first night. Kittens locked in a bedroom with a 10-year-old. (The kittens were for him and he was delighted!) The dog stayed in my room with me.

During the day I left the kittens in the bedroom with food, water and litter box. At night I brought the dog into my room, closed the door and let the kittens roam around the house to they could get used to the scent of the dog and, of course, leave a little of their scent (NO SPRAYING) throughout.

Then I started with just a few minutes intermingling in the evening. By the end of a week or so they had free reign while we got ready for school and work and for a few hours in the evening. I still separated them when noone was home and during the night, too. I kept the dog whereever I was at home so she wouldn't get jealous and anxious.

As I recall, it took about 2 weeks until I felt comfortable letting the all stay together when I wasn't home.

There are some funny, funny stories from those first few weeks. I smile when I remember them...

Good luck with this little project.

-Aude.

• Gadget
    Gadget

I followed the same procedure as Audesapere, and it took a few weeks to settle down for them to tolerate each other.

And don't take kitty meowing as something you need to move in on...when they ''SCREAM''....then it's time to move in.

If you do intervene make sure your wearing some protective clothing. My armoured motorcycle gloves were not tough enough, the cat's teeth pierced straight through them and into my hand. My welding gauntlets were the only things that worked for me, and they protected my for-arms too.

• vitty
    vitty

I tried to introduce a cat to our dog. After weeks of the cat running from bedroom to kitchen worktop and the dog chasing it I gave up. It didnt work, the dog was playful but the cat was having none of it.

Goodluck

I think the best suggestion was the baby gate, at least you can monitor them without them getting hurt!

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

THANKS!!! I will get the baby gate, that is a great idea. Now the idea is for the cat not to kill the dog. Like I said, the dog does not frighten me, it is my cat. She is very teritorial. I have seen it and the poor dogs in my building have seen it. She is nasty. And she has all her claws still, so once she gets going it is painful to make it stop. Wish me luck over the next month or so, I may be writing from the hospital.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit