Bethel Coach Trips--Is there a Dress Code?

by LDH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

http://www.bethelcoachtours.com

31. Is there a dress Code?
    The Society suggests a dress code be set up for the trip because everywhere we stop we give a witness. We want the trip to be comfortable and memorable for everyone so we have set forth guidelines that are reasonable and still allow room for personal preference. Please let your desire to bring honor to Jehovah’s name be reflected in how you dress. All clothing, casual or touring, must be clean, neat, and modest. Before packing, please read the June 2002 Our Kingdom Ministry Question Box on page 2, which considers "What standard of dress and grooming should we observe when visiting Bethel homes and branch facilities?". Of course, when we are visiting the Society’s facilities baptized brothers and sisters and their children should dress in meeting clothes. Suits and dresses and comfortable shoes.

Dress code for bus trips? The following dress is appropriate when traveling on the bus en route to New York:

Loose fitting sweats are fine and well suited to traveling long distances and sleeping on the bus. If jeans are worn they should not have holes or worn-out spots in them. The crotch should not be down around the knees and look as is they are about to fall down around the ankles. Never go outside the bus barefooted. Shorts (not cutoffs), slightly above the knee and loose fitting, are acceptable, i.e., walking shorts. Hair styles (men and women) for baptized brothers and sisters should reflect the spiritual person and not worldly fads. We are not bashful and will ask you to change into something more appropriate if necessary. The friends are very conscientious about their appearance, so this is seldom necessary.

muah ha ha.

I wish to God someone would tell me how to dress, after I paid for said trip. LOL.

Lisa

• lilybird
    lilybird

They are so special(NOT)..do they really think anyone cares how they dress anyways...??????

• Mulan
    Mulan

I never went on any of the Bethel trips, but we went to the Special Conventions in Poland in 1989 and were not given instructions on any dress code, other than neat and clean apparel. So the wife, in the couple we travelled with, and myself and their two daughters, all wore pants, not jeans, but nice pant outfits (this was for the tours, not the convention of course). Gradually some of the other women did the same. The Bethel representatives (and their mothers, sisters, etc.) wore dresses everyday, but never said a thing to us about how our clothes were not appropriate. There were about 5 groups, touring in our area of Poland, same buses every time, and ours was the only one with women in pants. They did look at us funny, but we just wanted to be comfortable.

Later there was a comment in the KM about how some "sisters" wore pants during tours in the off hours, and that was not correct apparel. I remember laughing about that, and feeling a bit embarrassed too. What's the deal with that? The men didn't have to wear ties and jackets.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In little old UK , it is only ever a day trip to the Bethel . It is a given that one dresses for" a meeting" whenever visiting Bethel or going on a cong. trip to the British Museum.

Why? I guess they think it looks smart and gives a good impression (after all you are not there to enjoy yourself) . In fact it makes them look conspicuously silly

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

It's not only the Bethel tours. My firm has a couple of offices in collar counties and they have a dress code for the women which sounds a lot like the dress code for the tours. Women are required to wear skirts or dresses w/ hoes and heels at all times. There were a number of women in the downtown office that pitched a fit when they tried to bring that to the office. It was the Norma Rae moment. All the women stagged a sit in with our signs that said "UNION". They finally gave up. The whole 1950's mentality drives me insane. The upside is at least our firm changed the policy. However, the WTBTS will never do that! How horrible would it be for women to dress in pants, OMG, then next thing you know they will start stating an opinion and thinking for themselves. Better nip that in the bud.

• blondie
    blondie

I know several who went on these and other than telling people to wear meeting clothes when touring bethel, there are no dress codes; different company though. In fact I know of 3 other companies that do not have a dress code other than the one the WTS has for its facilities. Maybe someone has been naughty.

Reminds me of how the WTS now is "demanding" that the rank and file wear meeting clothes and a name badge when going out to eat after the convention. None of this changing into comfortable clothes after 8 or more hours in "meeting clothes."

I wonder if you have to wear meeting clothes and a badge in the pool at the hotel?

Blondie

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

LOL at Blondie -yes it is getting ridiculous - at the Service Meeting Thursday went through KM insert re the District Convention - absolutely stressed that meeting clothes were to be worn even when dining out after the days session AND - wearing the lapel badge. It is getting more and more restrictive and controlling

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

And then there will be an insert saying, "you all are setting a bad example, because you are wearing your meeting close and wearing your badges but you are not acting like Witness". There is just no pleasing these people.

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

Yeah, that's a good witness;

I bet the R&F will smell lovely after about 12-13 hours in the same outfit.

• Woofer
    Woofer

I remember being soooo embarrassed wearing my lapel card to the restaurants after the assembly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit