The NWT....

by Sunspot 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Is It Really a Scholarly Translation?

(Excerps taken from)

http://www.xmark.com/focus/Pages/jehovahs.html

To this question the Watchtower has led its followers to believe that although the backgrounds of its translators are not made known, the translation will stand on its own. It does not.

***The WTS translation committee is guilty of inventing non-existent Greek grammar (and then follows these made up rules only when necessary to support the theology of the Watchtower) and inserting words into Scripture that change the meaning of God's Word.

The 1985 edition of the Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures states for its readers the guidelines and goals endorsed by the translation committee. The Society claims that, "We offer no paraphrase of Scripture. Our endeavor throughout has been to as literal a translation as possible where the modern English idiom allows for it or where the thought content is not hidden due to awkwardness in the literal rendition" and that" To each major word we have assigned one meaning and have held to that meaning as far as context permitted" (pp. 9-10, 1985 ed.; pg. 10, 1969 ed.).

However, based on these claims for its translation of the Bible, the committee has failed miserably.

We then see a list of cited scriptures (in the article) that the WTS "bible scholars" have tampered with....and that Phil 2:9 comes under scrutiny...

"An examination of Colossians 1:16, 17 and Philippians 2:9 demonstrates through the addition of words that the committee has not presented "as literal a translation as possible. "

***In both verses cited one finds the word "other" added. (Christ created all "other" things, meaning he is also a creature, a created being.) Thus we find divine attributes of the Lord Jesus Christ removed, namely that He is the creator of all things and that He possesses the name that is above every name.

Finally, they said, "To each major word we have assigned one meaning and have held to that meaning as far as context permitted," fairs no better than the previous statements. The translation committee has again let their theological bias bend their rules for translating.

So basically...HOW are the JWs....who depend on this messed up, screwed with, and bastardized and extremely biased version...to understand ANYTHING related to the Christ ...AS THE ORIGINAL BIBLE WRITERS INTENDED????

The FACT they they are purposely and deliberately TAUGHT things BY the WTS---that were WRONG when they were written and the WTS KNEW IT....and yet they will loudly defend these flaws, faults and errors as they boldly claim to have THE ONLY "food from God" through these obvious phony "spiritual leaders" that lead them.

This "food from God" is obviously tainted and has caused the pitiable JWs to be spiritually sick. We can't blame the JWs, the ones who come here to defend what the WTS says and does... for not having the proper understanding of much of anything, including Phil 2:9-10, if they are reading the NWT....but there it is. For those of us who have turned to true Christanity....we have no choice but to feel sorry for these JWs who are still being successfully duped and are quite trapped in this cult.

Their "leg to stand on" has long ago turned to dust.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Many 'reputable' translations have used dozens of actual Bible scholars to translate thier versions. These scholars usually have come from various belief structures. This protects against biased leaning in the translation, favoring a certain doctrinal position.

How could the 'Freddy Translation' ever assume lack of such bias? NO matter what they say, it could not. It does not.

It retains a place on my shelf - but not one of high honor I am afraid.

Jeff

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

The NWT is nothing more that a biased bible version written for the purpose of supporting the strange WT teachings. Upon leaving the Org. I bought a New International Version of the Bible and found that in the New Testament alone, the WT had made changes to over 200 verses. They added words in, put in brackets, removed words and just plain changed the words to mean something else. I verified all the errors by using their own book called the Greek Interlinear Translation of the Bible. My hubby says usually only elders have this book. But since he was a MS, one of the elders gave him a copy he had. Great book - shows all the WT bible text manipulations!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I verified all the errors by using their own book called the Greek Interlinear Translation of the Bible. My hubby says usually only elders have this book. But since he was a MS, one of the elders gave him a copy he had. Great book - shows all the WT bible text manipulations!

Actually the Kingdom Interlinear Translation was publicly available. I have not heard of many witnesses having one lately, but I am sure they are still producing it. I have one. Anyone know if the KIT is still in print?

Jeff

• inquirer
    inquirer

Is there anyone on here that LIKES the NWT, apart from me?

I think the NIV is extremely biased, how that is one of the best selling Bibles, I'll never know. How people can read a Bible that says "thee" and "thou like the King James Version is beyond comprehension.

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

The KIT came out in two seperate editions, one in ' 68 and the other in ' 85. Both editions have been allowed to go out of print and are no longer available from the WTS directly. You may get one of the editions in a second hand shop, or on Amazon.

Cheers

• inquirer
    inquirer

moggy lover,

I got my KIT DIRECTLY from the WT Bethel a couple of years ago.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Inquirer,, the thees and thous are easily ignored by anyone that has left the WT indoctrination against them behind. Although not my favorite version of the bible the KJ red letter is in our home and I have no desire to spend hard earned '$ for another copy of a 2/6000 year old tome.

There are sentence structures and phrases that are/were impossible for me to fathom so I find that of more concern than a "thee" or "thou".

carm

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I went into the org. in 1992. I got the KIT from an elder in 2002. At that time when I saw it in his home, he told me it was out of print. But, he had another copy. I am going by what that elder said that you cannot order it anylonger. But if you know someone at Bethel, maybe you can get it. He could be mistaken though. If you get a chance and want to do it, I recommend comparing to the NT in the NWT.

I don't use the NWT any more but I have one so I can show active Witnesses how it was tampered with. Any bible that deliberately changes 200 verses to back up their teachings is one I cannot trust. Plus in my own opinion, it always read kind of sterile and unfeeling. Some of the words did not really convey the emotion they should have and flowed badly.

I grew up reading the King James and because I am used to it, and I love Poetry, I love it. But for many, it is hard to read. My hubby hates it. But I usually use the NIV for study and another favorite of mine is the Ferrar Fenton bible. This one is really easy to understand and is a very good translation. Also, I recommend going to www.biblegateway.com to compare other bibles translations. They have good commentaries too. I go there sometimes but for me, there is nothing like the feel of the bible in my hand. I have many translations but the KJ, NIV, and Fenton are my favs.

• Robert_V_Frazier
    Robert_V_Frazier

inquirer:

Is there anyone on here that LIKES the NWT, apart from me?

I hope not!

I think the NIV is extremely biased, how that is one of the best selling Bibles, I'll never know. How people can read a Bible that says "thee" and "thou like the King James Version is beyond comprehension.

I think you must be confusing the NIV with the NASB. There are no "thees" or "thous" in the NIV. Nor is it "extremely biased". It was done with the deliberate intention of minimizing any doctrinal or denominational bias, and it does a good job on that score.

Robert V Frazier

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit