Outline for Special Talk "Is God Still in Control" for April 30th 2006

by Elsewhere 43 Replies latest jw friends

• benext
    benext

Always good to know I'm not missing anything.

• dozy
    dozy
    Could someone tell me please, why, if this should be covered in 45 min it takes all day? Is this like a one day convention or what? This is not a rhetorical question.

Carla - I think you are confusing the Special Talk (45 mins) with the Special Day (1 day (actually about 4 hours)). The Special talk is just a 45 minute talk that replaces the usual public talk.

I always find "Special talks" to be a bit boring (including the ones I have given). The speaker tends to "play it straight" and deliberately misses out the illustrations and "flavour" that makes a talk more interesting.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Dozy is right Carla.

Every Sunday there is a 45 minutes public talk. This outline is special because it's new and will be heard at each congregation on the same Sunday. Typically each congregation schedules whatever outline it wants from the available list for a Sunday meeting. After this outline is heard on the 30th it will become a regular cyclical talk outline and be heard from time to time in the local congregations.

The Special Assembly Day is a one day assembly lasting approx. from 9:50am to 4:30pm give or take. Including a 1 1/2 lunch.

• blondie
    blondie

Carla, you must read the responses. He went to a special assembly day which lasts all day, morning and afternoon. When the special talk date falls on an assembly day or during the circuit overseer's visit, the special talk is rescheduled for a following Sunday. The WTS does not want the rank and file to miss the "special" talk given by the visiting Bethel speaker at the special assembly day (or the circuit overseer's special talk on Sunday during his visit, or the district overseer's talk on the Sunday of a 2-day circuit assembly).

*** km 9/04 p. 3 Announcements ***

The special public talk for the 2005 Memorial season will be given on Sunday, April 10. The subject of the talk will be announced later. Those congregations having the visit of the circuit overseer or an assembly that weekend will have the special talk the following week. No congregation should have the special talk before Sunday, April 10, 2005.
    Blondie
  • blondie
    blondie

As to 1914, I don't anticipate that they would mention 1914 in a special talk. I know that many public talks don't focus on the fact that the "public" are there but since many of these people will be the same target audience as were at the memorial, I expect this is probably the only talk all year that might have a larger number of non-JWs present.

A truer indicator is what appears in the written publications of the official doctrine of the WTS and any adjustments.

Blondie

• carla
    carla

Thank you all for answering in this thread and the other one as well. Yes, I know the difference between a 'special talk' and the assembly, Dopey however told me twice he was going to a 'special talk'. And then the thread with the special talk came on and I didn't know there was an assembly locally. Apparently he does not know I know the difference between the two, hence the confusion. At any rate by the end of the week he will have enough hours in the wt to amount to a part time job.

• oldflame
    oldflame
    I find it very interesting that in this talk they say Jehover "remains very much in control of matters affecting the earth" yet at the same time they say that Satan rules the world on their web site.

I have also alway's found this to be very contradictive. It reminds me of our President.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

I have also alway's found this to be very contradictive.

----------------------------------------------------------------

not really. Supposedly, Jeh-hoggie can step in WHEN he wants to, but he chooses not to. I will never forget how a CO once put it: "Think of a playground. Jehovah is the teacher, in charge at all times. Satan is like a brat in a sandbox, and soon Jehovah is gonna give him a SPANKIN' he ain't gonna forget!".

Advocating child abuse. ugh.

-silent

• steve2
    steve2
    At any rate by the end of the week he will have enough hours in the wt to amount to a part time job.

The analogy to a job is a good one, Carla, but I'd add the following to make it a perfect one:

A dull, repetitive, heavy-labour job in which you the worker have next to no rights and have to do pretty much what you're told to do, when you're told - and to cap it off: The salary's piss poor. Give me a gutter-sweeping job anyday to the "chore" of spending extra time in the company of the never-ever-satisfied, sad-sack witnesses.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

THANK YOU Elsewhere and anonymous contributor! I have printed this out and told my wife that I thought she could probably follow along better if she had the outline to read while the speaker was talking.

She thanked me. Then several minutes later she asked, "Isn't this the outline for the Special Talk?" When I answered, she asked, "How did you get the outline for the Special Talk before the talk has even been given?"

I told her, "You'd be amazed how much accurate information there is available on the Internet."

She thanked me again, for thinking of her. I think she put it in her meeting bag to take with her this Sunday. There are a few Kingdom Halls nearby, and I think I am going to make a limited distribution in the parking lots of each tonight and tomorrow night.

"Special" this, WTS!

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit