What Bible Characters Fascinated You?

by MissBehave 25 Replies latest jw friends

• lowden
    lowden

Please don't cut my hair....i'll lose all my strength!!! Oh REEHEEHEEHEAALLY!

Peace

Lowden

• MuadDib
    MuadDib

When I was younger I was intrigued by the story of Jehu. He was so badass. Drive his chariot anywhere he damn well please. After I got a little older I was really intrigued by David's military strongman Joab, who killed Abner and Amasa (his only competition for the post) and also Absalom when his hair got caught in the tree (actually, Absalom is an interesting character too). The story of Solomon's succession struck a new chord with me after I'd read a little history and politics - what he basically does is send his assassin Benaiah to kill off or otherwise eliminate everybody who could pose a threat to his regime (Joab, the high priest Abiathar, his own brother Adonijah, Saul's last powerful relative Shimei). He knocks off the last remnants of the previous Bronze Age dynasty to assure his own. Pretty savvy. Kind of interesting how God's chosen people seem to fall prey to the same dynastic court intrigue that affected other Bronze Age governments, isn't it? Almost as though there was nothing really special about them at all.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

I was never endeared to any Bible character to be honest, they were always colourless, emotionless, boring stories to me, even as a child with the Bible Story book. I had absolutely no interest in any Bible characters I thought they were all a bunch of pompous twats.

Even at a youngish age, i was highly sensitive to the injustices in the Bible. During the family Bible study i experienced a growing but silent indignation at the treatment of people like:

• Achan who stole a robe and some gold and whose whole family got massacred for it.
    • Isaac who had to go through the terrifying ordeal of carrying wood up a mountain, and then at the last minute bound up by his father believing he was going to be murdered viciously.
    • Lot's wife who merely turned around as was brutally murdered by being turned to salt.
    • Uzzah who was killed on the spot for trying to stabalise the Ark of the Covenant.
  • EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Bad girls

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

None of them really. The WTB&TS painted most of them as so holy that they farted marble. I grew up thinking that their level of holiness or relationship with God was something that I could never attain to. Then I became a Christian, and I realized that they were just plain people with hang-ups like mine.

Abraham was afraid. Isaac was a momma's boy. Jacob was a con man. Joseph was a brat. Moses was insecure. David was a philanderer as was Solomon. Peter was impulsive & prejudiced. Paul had a temper. John & James were momma's boys and brown nosers.

The other thing that I determined was that women are, for the most part, portrayed in a positive light in the Bible. Sarah, Rebbekah, Rachel, Zipphorah, Rahab, Jael, Naomi, Ruth, Abagail, Esther, Mary (Mother of Jesus), Mary Magdalene, etc.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I thought that Bilbo Baggins was pretty cool. The way he freed the Jews from the evil influence of Sauron and his demons. Wait, wasn't that... Oh, yeah, nevermind. I guess I'll have to go with Rapunzel.

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit