So what was your worst Watchtower Moment

by TresHappy 26 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

We could all say every bit of our experience in the WT was the worst. I hated field service - I used to call it the Agony Hour. I'd like to know how many people hated field service as much as I did!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Ah Field Service™ - very unpleasant but not as bad as some other stuff.

I was raised in a congregation™ with a mixed territory™ from inner city housing, expansive mansions with permanant gardners to terraces and hovels packed with uni students and suburban housing of varying degrees of niceness.

As a married man I moved to an outter suburban congregation and it was quite a shock. Instead of 'covering our territory™' every three months as I'd grown acustomed to, at Elizabeth we were knocking the same doors every two to three weeks - it was a low socio economic area and people were well and truly sick of us. lol.

One Saturday morning I was directed to door knock a house where the guy had only the previous Monday had me agree never to set foot on his door step again. Of course, being an honourable gent I refused to break our agreement.

The rot set in for me about this time. My mad pioneer partner left Elizabeth Congregation just as I moved in and his parting words were "I'm leaving - anymore than six months here and you won't be a witness". Well I hung on for two and a half years before loading up the car and heading for Sydney.

I didn't mind having a door slammed or being pelted with fruit or even shot at but the relentless boredom of knock knock ...no thanks, knock knock .. no thanks .. had me wonder about the pointless waste of time.

• blondie
    blondie

Field service was nothing compared to going to a kingdom hall where several sisters were deliberately not talking to you; would not tell you how you offended them; and were telling other people not to associate with you.

I would rather go to the doors, non-JWs were more likely to converse with me and even invite me in for a coke of a cookie.

Blondie

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

LOL at Blondie,

That is so true - it was sometimes good to get out 'in the world™' and meet real christians. Old ladies who'd invite you in for tea, biscuits (cookies) and a nice bible discussion.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

my worst individual MOMENT was sitting thru the watchtower lesson where the " new light " on the generation of 1914 change was studied.. looked around at everyone just eating it up while my blood turned to ICE.

going to the meetings during my ex's disfellowshippment for 4 years and no one talking to me at all.. one elder would come up to me every meeting and say " hi! how're the kids?"...... never anything else.. it was a running joke between me and my oldest dd.. here comes bro *** with to encourage us!! then he'd say " hi how're the kids?" and we'd about die laughing.. ( it was either laugh or cry)

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

I don't know about worse but most epithianic (if the word didn't exist it does now) moment was attending meetings with my fist girl Amy. We were fairly new to the congregation and for the first few months of Amy's life we sat about centre of the Hall with her in a special blue bag by

my feet.

Amy was the only baby in the Hall and as she got bigger and need feeding and changing more often we moved to the seats of the damned at the back to assist a quick getaway to the feeding/changing room or in case she disturbed bible study paradise with a moan or burp. One learns a lot in those seats lol

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I'd have to say the worst moment was when my mother was disphellowshipped. We had other surrounding issues which I've discussed here before.... http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/100383/1729561/post.ashx#1729561

That period of time contains my absolute worst Watchtower moments...

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Thanks for the link ((((((((((misspeaches))))))))))

teary eyed unc

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

My worst moment as a JW was when I was 21 and at a judicial committee meeting trying to get reinstated. There I was, this very young woman with no self esteem, sitting facing 3 older men whom I didn't even know, telling them how sorry I was for having been "immoral" when I was 18. I had been coming to meetings for a year already, sitting by myself, totally shunned. I hadn't seen or talked to my family in 3 years and I was so lonely and depressed. I wrote a very repentant letter saying how wrong I had been. But that wasn't good enough for them, they weren't convinced I was repentant. Much to my shame and embarrassment, I started to cry and asked them in this little girl voice, "If Jehovah, knows I'm sorry, how come you don't know I'm sorry?" They told me to wait longer, to prove myself. I went home and cried my eyes out and considered suicide. I can't believe how young and naive I was then and how easily I gave away my power and self -esteem to let men I didn't even know judge me!

Cog

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

Field service, I hated going door to door as I am quite shy by nature..... This always made me so depressed, It gave me alot of stomac pains due to the stress of it...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit