Made-Up Rules Dubs Try To Impose On Each Other

by calico 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Chimene
    Chimene

My ex jdubhub used to always tell me I couldn't have a man visiting in the hosue without a witness, even if my kids were in the same room.......WTF? What am I going to do, (even though NOTHING!) in front of my kids? you can't be serious?! What ever, good riddens!

• uninformed
    uninformed

NO PANTSUITS OR LEISURE SUITS!!!

U

• Mary
    Mary
    My ex jdubhub used to always tell me I couldn't have a man visiting in the hosue without a witness, even if my kids were in the same room.......WTF?

It's amazing how the elders let this little 'rule' slide when it suited them. You know how many times I was alone with an elder? I'd be out for a walk in the early evenings and I'd sometimes stop in at their homes (seemed rude to just walk by their house) just to say 'hi' to them. Even if their wives weren't home, they'd still invite me in.......I most certainly never did anything with any of them, but not one of them EVER got counselled for being alone with me........

• integ
    integ
    they were just manmade rules

See, this is the problem. You say they are just "manmade rules" but I have been told differently. If Jehovah is using the Society as HIS people, then any "rules" that His people may come up with, are actually endorsed by God. So therefore if Gods' "people" make up a rule it is really from Go since He is using them to care for His "belongings".

See what I'm getting at? It's all a big joke.

-Integ.

• rhian
    rhian

I just remembered another one.

If a sister and brother work together in the field ministry, the sister may not speak at the door.

rhian

• blondie
    blondie

Ah, Rhian, maybe in your area. Wherever I went d2d with a brother, I could talk at the door, even go first. No headcovering necessary. The WTS has even had pictures in the publications showing a sister talking to a person with the brother standing by listening. Could be a regional thing.

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

One Hall had white shirts in all sizes available for all Sunday speakers. Visiting speakers were asked to only wear white shirts and if for some reason they didn't , they were given one to put on.

• blondie
    blondie

I can remember the white shirt rule in the 1960's and 1970's. When a CO visited in the 80's, he made a point of wearing a different colored shirt each day he was on the platform to make a point. But one congregation in this area still required white shirts on speakers until 2003.

If you still get the magazines, notice the shirts on the men in the photo of the Gilead graduates. At least 1/3 have colored shirts.

This rule caused the WTS some trouble because they were forced to print the "admonition" below:

*** w89 11/1 p. 30 Do You See Only the Outward Appearance? ***

Obviously, then, the elders in one congregation went "beyond the things that are written" a few years ago by requiring every public speaker in their congregation to wear a white shirt, even though pastel colors were generally acceptable in that country. Guest speakers who showed up with a colored shirt were asked to change into one of several white shirts kept in the Kingdom Hall for just such emergencies. How careful we have to be in order not to impose our personal taste on others! And how appropriate Paul’s counsel: "Let your reasonableness become known to all men"!—Philippians 4:5.
  • rhian
    rhian

Blondie, not just a regional thing -- a CONGREGATION thing. Just goes to show how they can make up rules & try to impose them.

My ex- and I went to this congregation for a while. It was horrible. The body of elders were a bunch of dictators. Finally almost the whole congregation left -- including us (they tried to blackball my ex- so he couldn't be used anywhere because we left...too bad they fabricated stuff against him. If they had just listened to me, I could have given them REAL stuff...but women had no credibility in that congregation, and my complaints and pleas for help fell on deaf ears. They even tried to use the fact that I went to them for help to indicate I was out of control...which reflected poorly on him)...end result was the same, I guess...

they finally dissolved the congregation and broke up the body, sent them to different congregations. None of them were disciplined, in spite of being caught in lies and other types of unethical behaviors, even going contrary to the direction of the almighty organization...

rhian

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Obviously, then, the elders in one congregation went "beyond the things that are written" a few years ago by requiring every public speaker in their congregation to wear a white shirt, even though pastel colors were generally acceptable in that country. Guest speakers who showed up with a colored shirt were asked to change into one of several white shirts kept in the Kingdom Hall for just such emergencies. How careful we have to be in order not to impose our personal taste on others! And how appropriate Paul’s counsel: "Let your reasonableness become known to all men"!—Philippians 4:5.

Blondie, I think this would make a fun thread. We could take the above quote and change it to read of other "man made rules" that the governing body doesn't think are man made rules.

Example:

Obviously, then, the elders in one congregation went "beyond the things that are written" a few years ago by requiring everyone to attend meetings of Jehovah's Witnesses, even though Jesus said that "Where ever two or more of you are gathered in my name, I am there (Or some such sentiment). People, especially those baptized, those studying, the family and children of the former, who were found not attending each and every meeting of Jehovah's Witnesses were badgered & encouraged to tremble in fear of the Great and Powerful Jehovah and his penchant for human blood. How careful we have to be in order not to impose our personal taste on others! And how appropriate Paul’s counsel: "Let your reasonableness become known to all men"!—Philippians 4:5.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit