What Would It Take For Your JW Family/Friend To Get Out?

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

My EX to spend some QT here. Fat fucking chance though.

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

My EX to spend some QT here. Fat fucking chance though.

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

If I asked my mom what it would take she would say, "If they stopped the preaching work then I would know it wasnt the truth!"

• rimbaudbunuel
    rimbaudbunuel

For my best friend - Sex with Gisele Bundchen

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

MsMcducket made a good point. I didn't leave for 5 years after my initial doubts because I didn't want to leave God. In a twisted way, it's masterful how the gb has firmly planted the concept of 'We're not God, we're not divinely inspired, we're just good imperfect men but if you leave our org, you're not leaving us you're betraying God'. It's warped and it works because I loved Jehovah and I wasn't about to turn my back on my creator. Even when I was pioneering, deep down, I knew it wasn't the truth but I could not leave God. When I was finally able to make the seperation in my mind between loving God and crazy ass org then I was free. We can't give up on our family or friends no matter how impossible it seems, I pray for them everyday and I'm not going to stop until they're out. After all, nothing is impossible with God. I was a fanatical, die hard JW, I believed it with every cell in my body, there's no way I would've responded to anything dotrinal or a gb scandal it was the example of real christians - their love, their happiness, that made me wonder. - V Sky

• Frog
    Frog

I believe you have to desperately want to see the truth, or else you never will. Here is a section from Scott Peck's (book), 'The Road Less Travelled', Ch 'Dedication to Reality', p46,47.

The biggest problem of map-making is not that we have to start from scratch, but that if our maps are to be accurate we have to continually revise them. The world itself is constantly changing. We are daily bombarded with new information as to the nature of reality. If we are to incorporate new information, we must continually revise our maps, and sometimes when enough new information has accumulated, we must make very major revisions. The process of making revisions, particularly major revisions, is painful, sometimes excruciatingly painful. And herein lies the major source of many of the ills of mankind.

What happens when one has striven long and hard to develop a working view of the world, a seemingly useful, workable map, and then is confronted with new information suggesting that that view is wrong and the map needs to be largely redrawn? The painful effort required seems frightening, almost overwhelming. What we do more often than not, and usually unconsciously, is to ignore the new information. Often this act of ignoring is much more than passive. We may denounce the new information as false, dangerous, heretical, the work of the devil. We may actually crusade against it, and even attempt to manipulate the world so as to make it conform to our view of reality. Rather than try to change the map, an individual may try to destroy the new reality. Sadly, such a person may expend much more energy ultimately in defending an outmoded view of the world than would have been required to revise and correct it in the first place.

• KW13
    KW13

British Museum

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

For my parents, not a chance. They non-chalantly breezed by 1975 and the generation change didnt even cause a discussion between them. For my wife...I am working on it but I do think she still believes the doctrines though I dont think she enjoys actually being a JW. Who really does honestly??

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

XBHere,

I agree and sympathize wholeheartedly with your post, my wifes parents are I think beyond reform, they have both cheated on each other and done so many things not 'in the truth', but they keep going back for more. My wife also I think believes the theology, but I think by exposing the organization, I may be able to start her thinking at least a little bit, and maybe she can 'investigate' on her own. There is nothing I see positive about the cult like actions of Bethel, and I think some critical thinking of her own may lead her into the same thoughts.

isot (originally a hoosier)

• pratt1
    pratt1

I think my best friend would leave if his son needed blood to save his life.

I don't think he would let him die.

My mom would probably leave if the dubs decided to physically isolate themselves from the world, like opening a commune in some isolated place. Don't think my mom would leave my dad and me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit