What was the nastiest house you got invited into?

by Virgochik 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

We actually has a study with a disabled elderly couple living in a trailor. It was wall to wall filth, rat infested and smelled awful. I was a child, but Mom and Dad brought me along anyway. They had me keep my legs up on the couch and my feet off the floor. Another study lived in a low-income shack on a Lake. It was dirty and mildewy. They had space heaters and blankets up as curtains. The bathroom was scary and the whole place was smelly, damp and had some kind of bugs running across the floor. Anybody else get invited inside a scary place, and had to be polite?

• slugga
    slugga

I knew a brother who had fist holes in some of his doors. He would loose his temper over something and then punch through the doors

• luna2
    luna2

A pioneer sis had a study with a gal who had some mental as well as physical disabilities. Her place wasn't as bad as what you guys have described, but it wasn't clean either. The floor in the kitchen was sticky, as was the table top (where we studied). The place smelled bad too...a combination of mildew, grease, cat spray and dust. It wasn't unbearable, but it wasn't pleasant. Not sure it was all her fault, though, as it was an old building in desperate need of repair and renovations.

There was one little house we were invited into that smelled like wet, dirty dogs. It was over-powering. There was animal hair everywhere...like they didn't have a vacuum or never washed the blanket draped over the back of the couch. The husband was some sort of executive and I wondered how that worked out for him going into the office with animal hair all over his suit and carrying that doggie smell. I could smell in on me and I was only in their place for a half an hour. *shivers* I couldn't wait to get home and take a shower!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

When I was SO I would go on studies with the Pio sisters. There were some pretty bad. One I remember in particular was a wood frame house on peer and beam. There were a half dozen mangie dogs living under the house and the only place to go in and out was a hole in the living room floor. There was dog mess all under and in the house.

Also a terrible roach infestation. Tiny german cockroaches. They were unafraid of humans and would crawl all over the place.

The fleas in the house were really bad too. The sister sprayed us with OFF before going to the house. The fleas looked like coffee grinds all over the place. Dishes were piled in the sink and they only washed a dish when they needed one.

The place smelled really bad, I was holding back gags the whole time.

The pioneer sister kept the study to 15 minutes because that was all she could take at one time. She worked with the lady trying to help her learn how to keep house but I dont know what happened as it was about the time I left.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

When I was pioneering in Winnipeg, I was invited into a guys house. The house was small, and the guy evidently only ate TV dinners, and there was a huge pile of the aluminum divided plates that stood at least 3 feet high, and many of them still had some food left in them. There were flies buzzing everywhere, and he also had 3 dogs, and he apparently never let them out to go poo, because there was a pile of hundreds of doggie poohs neatly piled in the corner. Everything was filthy. The smell was so rancid and putrid. It was hard to breathe. You could see into the bedroom, and the bed had what used to be white sheets, but hadn't been washed in lord knows how long, and were now a dark greyish, brownish, greenish black color, and loaded with dog hair and urine. Piles of newspapers were everywhere, and mayo jars and food were just sitting out, flies sitting on the stuff. The guy was desperate for company, so I stayed as long as I could. I left him the literature for free, I wish that I could have afforded to give him money or something, I felt bad for him. After I got home, I told a Sister about it, and she told me I should call the city on him. I wouldn't do that, as I would not know what they would have done to him. I did go back about a month or so later, and he was gone, and the place was empty and boarded up. I hope he ended up getting some type of help, and I hope that he didn't get separated from his Dogs. They were probably the only things that he really had.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I saw plenty of houses like others are describing... during the study I would see roaches all over the walls and floors, junk piled up and that horrible rotten-cooking-grease smell mixed with wed dog.

That guy who collected the TV dinners and dog poo... sounds like he had some sort of OCD disorder that made him hoard and collect things.

• seawolf
    seawolf

I went on a study with a woman and there were roaches EVERYWHERE. Well, the next day at the Thursday night meeting a roach came running out from the lapel on my sportcoat abnd I caught it out of the corner of my eye and smashed it on my sportcoat. Good thing I hated that sportcoat but I never went back to that study's house....

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

indescribable it was that bad. Dog shit everywhere - on the carpet - smell so badly. Clothes everywhere. Rotting food on the table - just awful

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I knew several JWs with homes like you have described. One sister was DF'd for havng a filthy home. I wonder what sin that was under?

It is amazing that no one ever bothered to help them clean up their homes. I did that once for an older woman who was blind and stopped to visit to make sure things stayed fairly clean. When she moved, she gave me a nice, used car with her non-JW daughter's blessing.

Blondie

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I had been in some gross homes in field service in my time, but none as bad as you guys have described...

I did have a non-JW friend later on though, who was the worst housekeeper I had ever seen. I loved her dearly, but for a stay at home Mom, her home was almost unliveable. She would have piles of 20-40 dirty diapers piled all around the house. Wherever she changed the baby the diapers just stayed. It was just filthy beyond belief. Garbage of every kind piled up, rotting food... uck. I would offer to babysit her kids so her hubby and her could have a "date night" then I could clean her house while she was gone. To her credit after some time she did get better. Maybe by being friends with a neat freak? Or not, I don't know. I was glad for her kids though...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit