Lo' and Behold - I start hearing Kingdom Melodies in the coffee shop.....

by AK - Jeff 30 Replies latest jw friends

• deeskis
    deeskis

I can still appreciate the kingdom melodies, always liked singing. Haven't sung those ones for many years now.

some months ago while visiting my parents I found my daughter helping her JW grandmother to compose a kingdom melody cell phone ring tone! they love it...

ya gotta laugh..........

great wedding photos Jason, gave me goosebumps.

D

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I have been praying all day now that I did not get anyone humming those damn things......LOL

Jeff

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Man! I can remember so many GOOD sounding religious songs! I use to love them...until after I became a witness...need I say more.

Here's one of the songs I liked:

Day by Day

Day by day
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Day by day
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Day by day
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Day by day
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Day by day
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day
    Day by day by day by day

I apologize that I do not know who has the copyright,
    but I believe this was in the Broadway play "GodSpell"

http://www.hamienet.com/midi-7342.mp3

(I hope all those *&^% pop-ups don't come up!)

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Woohoo! Another old JW demon slain! Congratulations.

• wombat
    wombat

It's over 30 years since I've been in a K.H. But one song still haunts me. Every time I drive past a K.H. I've just gotta sing it out aloud - no matter who's in the car.

We're Jehovah's Witnesses,

We speak out in fearlessness,

Our's is the God of true prophesy,

What He foretells comes to be.

Can someone please tell me if that is still being sung please?

(I d/a'd in '73)

• deeskis
    deeskis

Hi Wombat

as far as I know it is. That's the song my parents got my daughter to compose on their mobile phone for a ring tone. Now all their friends in the cong want it too!

I also liked "keep your eyes on the prize". I can still appreciate a nice song, but I agree with an earlier comment that most of the songs are about obedience rather than praise.

Best wishes D

• wombat
    wombat

Deeskis....Now I am going to be humming "if you keep your eyes on the prize" for days to come. No thanks for that.

I'm not rubbishing JW songs. I have since joined a Japanese faith with a Buddhist/Zen type background. Their songs really don't translate well from Japanese.

But their song book does include Amazing Grace which I enjoy with full gusto.

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

Every now and then I get the song "Forward You Witnesses" stuck in my head.

"Forward you Witnesses ever strong of heart

It's true that in God's work you too must have a part

Go tell far and wide God's New Order is here

something, something, something ...be here"

BTW - Didn't I see a post on this site or maybe an article listing the fact that the author of those lyrics was a German witness who collaborated with the Nazis during WWII timeframe? He gave them names of other Witnesses and thus survived the war???

If so, I find the reference to the "New Order" quite interesting. My understanding was that Hitler referred to his version of what the world should be as a "New Order" and that is why Witness changed their terminology at one point and started saying "New System of Things".

The kingdom songs may not be evil in and of their own right - but to me they represent everything that I have tried so hard to leave behind. They trigger thoughts and feelings that are tied up with guilt and doubt. I feel that they are tools used to assist with the brainwashing of the rank & file. Because I feel this way I doubt I will ever be able to appreciate anything about them...

I JUST REMEMBERED - for the longest time I only lip synched during the songs at meeting. I couldn't bring myself to actually sing the words. That was when I was on my way out. It was my own private superstition...if I sang the words I was really accepting the JW mindset...it seems very silly to me now. And very sad...

• deeskis
    deeskis

Wombat

I'm in an amateur singing group, and we do lots of stuff around Christmas, - Nursing homes, local community group parties, Carols by Candlelight on our village green etc. Amazing Grace is one of our favourites, I sing it with two others in a three part harmony, always brings out the tissues!!

This Christmas my youngest, ten year old girl was involved with us. We sang the Boney M medley Mary's Boy Child/Oh my Lord. I held back and just did a little backing vocals. She brought the house down. Going on to bigger things me thinks!

BTW we were in Queensland last week and Saw Barnsey at Twin Towns, What a voice, it was a big sing-along...........loved it!

Best wishes

D

Hope you didn't overimbibe in that "overproof Bundy" over Christmas

• wombat
    wombat

Deeskis....If you are an ex-jw I am really impressed. Being in an amateur singing group carolling to bring pleasure to others. That's really getting on with life.

I can picture your 10 year old....I think that I would have had moist eyes.

I heard that Barnsey was pumping at Twin Towns. Maybe your daughter is the equivalent of his Tin Lids. He just refuses to grow old.

Mate, you gotta support the old Bundy. It's Queensland. (Even though some Dutch crowd now own it.

Here's a map of Queensland to cheer you up.

Cheers......Wombat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit