Helping a Family Cope with JW Mind Control.

by Winston 17 Replies latest jw friends

• bajarama
    bajarama

(4) Emotional Control includes using any guilt they may feel about their thoughts, feelings, family or their past. Any problems individuals may be experiencing are to be seen as the fault of the one who has the problems. Fear is built up in the minds of the members by warning them of the dangers of the “outside” world and the enemies that surround them. Fear of losing the approval of the other members is a key factor in pressuring the members to continue. The members are indoctrinated to fear questioning the leaders or being made to leave the group as they are told they will have no future if they are outside the safety of the group. There is no legitimate reason for leaving and those that do must be shunned. Without the protection of the group they could be exposed to possession by demons.

Yup, that about covers all religions I've ever heard of. So there all cults one way or another.

baja

If God real and truly loves me, why won't he return my phone calls

• AlanF
    AlanF

To Winston:

It appears that the woman has already largely been taken in by the JWs, so the husband needs to handle this with kid gloves. JT and Larc made excellent observations about the need to avoid triggering the "persecution" complex that JWs quickly warn new 'bible studies" about. It would be extremely counterproductive for the entire family to get together and confront the woman or even try to convince her of anything. A low key approach is usually best, once the victim has been stung.

Since the man is already 'studying' with the JWs, I think it would be best to take advantage of it and help him ply the JW 'study conductor' with legitimate questions that he knows the JW can't answer. The best ones depend on his general knowledge about everything, and on which JW publication they're slogging through. As it becomes evident to all participating in the study that answers are avoided, or are simply not there, the woman may see it and then see for herself that something is wrong with the JW religion. If she can't see it, there's not much to be done, since she's already probably 90% of the way to being a JW.

You'll have to post a good deal more information about the man and his wife, and what they're studying, and then various posters can come up with good questions to pose.

AlanF

• Francois
    Francois

Agree that this approach may cause the "persecution tape" to start playing.

Experience suggests that the best way to defeat the JWs is to get them to do it for you. That is, get as many quotes from their own publications that reveal just how far off base they are and use them to best effect. One of the very best places you can get such information is the following:

.. http://www.intrex.net/tallyman/the_list.html

This may have been suggested for you above, but I haven't read all the other posts as yet.

Good luck,
    Franc

• Winston
    Winston

AF,

Since the man is already 'studying' with the JWs, I think it would be best to take advantage of it and help him ply the JW 'study conductor' with legitimate questions that he knows the JW can't answer. The best ones depend on his general knowledge about everything, and on which JW publication they're slogging through.

Yes I think that's a good point, I think it's the new book "Knowledge Something or Other".
    But maybe in the future I Will find out what the next couple of lessons will be and post them and anyone who like could raise some good questions that he could use, they'd have to be simple because he's not really into the Bible he just trying real hard to help his wife.

You'll have to post a good deal more information about the man and his wife, and what they're studying, and then various posters can come up with good questions to pose.

That sounds like a plan.

Former elder turned apostate (by WT definition)[:)}and proud of it!

• Grunt
    Grunt

I admire the guy and his family for being willing to get together and talk about this with someone who is an ex-Witness. I think it is a good idea to warn them about possible shunning and conversion attempts. No child should ever be left alone with a Witness as they will do their best to indoctrinate them "to save their lives." A grandmother in my family was telling a grandchild that "Just because your parents have turned on Jehovah, you don't have to. You can't listen to your parents when it comes to religion as they are going to be destroyed and I don't want you to be." Of course the child was upset and asked his mom and dad about their being destroyed. Last time Grandma will be alone with that child, which is sad but smart.
    Having a Witness in a non-witness family is about like having a drug dealer, pushing, always pushing their intoxicating view of eternal life on earth vs. destruction and the children are the easiest targets. The rest of the family has a right to know the dangers and to know just how they will be viewed by the Witness member. They should also get to have the basic views of the Witnesses put before them and analyzed so the information the Witness puts before them doesn't fool them. Nothing like a little Watch Tower History to help see them for what they are. Whenever I am discussing the Witnesses to non-Witnesses I never make them special, but always speak of them and the Moonies and other groups. The similarities are easy to see and explain.

• trevor
    trevor

pandora,

You asked about the title of the book by Steve Hassan. The posting I did was a summary of his comments which I had typed up and have on file.

RedhorseWoman did a post on this on May 2nd 2001. If you put up a new thread asking here to look it out and repost, she may help out.

The book is called 'Empowering People to Think for Themselves.' Chapter two of 'realeasing the bonds.' Freedom of Minds Press. Somerville MA.

'The bite Model' B.I.T.E

• detective
    detective

Hi,
    you can get Steve Hassan's website at www.freedomofmind.org

His latest book is Releasing the Bonds: Empowering people to think for themselves. (Or something very close to that title). I also read his first book but the title escapes me at the moment. Releasing the Bonds addresses the Witnesses as a cult whereas the first book does not classify them as such. If I remember correctly, I think he credits Randy Watters for giving him the info on the dubs that allowed him to assess them and label them a destructive cult.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Detective, you're correct about the title of Hassan's 2nd book. The 1st book is Combatting Cult Mind Control.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit