Do you charge your 18+ kids rent?

by tall penguin 40 Replies latest social family

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I've been wondering what people think about this. As soon as I turned 18 and had an income (it was disability but income just the same) my parents began to charge me room and board. Is this common practice? Did your folks do that? If you are a parent, do you or would you charge your children rent?
    tall penguin

• jgnat
    jgnat

I did. I warned them. My sister and brother-in-law thought it was inhuman and cruel and told my teenagers so. Both my adult children were unhappy about it, but got over it. Both got jobs and learned to be self-supporting. Both are very good at managing their money. When my daughter found out how much I was going to charge, she busted out the rent ads. She didn't need much. Just a small place with a yard that would welcome two cats and a rather large but friendly dog.

Within a month, there was no more word about my cruel and inhuman offer.

Now, my nieces and nephews are teenagers. BWAHAHAHAHA.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I started paying rent when I decided I didn't want to go to college anymore.

The rules at our house were if you're in school you don't have to pay rent.

I obviously was not raised a JW! LOL!

On a side note when I learned to drive, I had to buy my first car, pay for gas and insurance...thus I began working when I was 15.

WG

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

ABSOLUTELY -It teaches them the value of money and that it does not grow on trees

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

As I will DA myself at 18, and subsequently move out, I'll never know for sure.

But if I had to pay rent here, that would be the end of my chores, and trust me, I do ALOT around here.

• pratt1
    pratt1

As long as I attended college, I didn't need to pay rent to my parents. when I finished school and got my first job, I then paid rent.

My parents surprised me on my wedding day and gave me back all of the money I paid them in the form of a gift for a down payment on a house.

My daughter will pay rent to me and my wife when she finishes school next year. I will then present her with the money back as a gift whenever she get married or decides to buy property, which ever comes first.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

"My parents surprised me on my wedding day and gave me back all of the money I paid them in the form of a gift for a down payment on a house."
    Wow pratt1! That's awesome. What a lovely idea. Glad to see you'll continue the tradition with your daughter.
    tall penguin

• Jourles
    Jourles
    But if I had to pay rent here, that would be the end of my chores, and trust me, I do ALOT around here.

Errr, don't be shocked when you move out, pay rent, and those chores don't get done....you'll be wishing mom and dad were still around to keep the house up to snuff.

Jourles, of the paid my dues when I was younger and am really paying the piper now that I'm older Class

• xjwms
    xjwms

I had to pay rent

My folks were not well off......and, ... I did a lot to help around the house

• Scully
    Scully

Yes, we do. When they are not in college and are working, they pay rent. That's the deal in our house. It's a nominal amount and it's not that we "need" that money to make ends meet. It's a way to teach the kids about responsibility without them having to get a full dose of it all at once when they move out. The money is kept in separate bank accounts and we plan to surprise them with it as a gift at a later time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit