Suicide after convention

by chasson 34 Replies latest jw friends

• chasson
    chasson

Hi maximus,

few comments on this watchtower:

Openly provide your physician with any helpful information you can, including recent changes in the teen's life that might be contributing his or her listlessness

Good advice. When a JW go to the doctor. he looks straight in his eyes and says nothing. This is the same infantil instructions than the KM before convention: "Drink water when weather is hot, etc..." JW are really babies.

Make sure that the doctor spends enough time listening to the symptoms before making a diagnosis

Are they even on day went to psychanalist ? Do they think that the guy listen you 20 minutes and said after that: "You have a psychosis".
    A psychiatric's diagnosis can take 6 month sometimes. Room, i think you are right, this kind of counsel implie that the Watchtower's writer think about a conventional doctor not mental health professional.

For instance, if the doctor feels that your teen is clinically depressed, you might want to ask why he ruled out other diagnoses

And if he says that all is ok, you can go directly on door to door.
    And do you think that a jw dub will understand the answer of this kind of stupid question ?

make sure your teen gets a proper amount of rest, nutrition, and exercise."

Ouarf. exactly the good advice that my mother give me each time i have her on the phone. Is my mother the FDS ?

Still, the Bible contains principles that can help us to comfort sufferers. More than that, it contains God's promise that he will soon heal all of our maladies (Psalm 103:3)

Perhaps this is the "soon" in this claim that is the cause of lot of depression among JW ;-)

This is accompanied by a picture of the depressed girl on the cover, now smiling and holding

The same as some old advertising for washing powder.

Hey, old member of the GB, when you have nothing to say: shut-up. This is sometimes the best help in the depression: Be here and shut-up.

Bye

Charles

• juswonderin
    juswonderin

Chuckd
    Since there have been so many cases of seriously depressed and ill people in the organization, I would like to suggest that the elders would recommend psychiatric counseling....that is if they have any common sense. I mean if someone breaks a leg, they go to a doctor to have it set, right.

However, I have personally seen a family in complete derision because of counsel which encouraged them to get rid of anything which could have the demons attached to it. It was a horrible situation, and the only thing this family (read Woman-ment. ill) needed was direction to the nearest mental health facility. I could write volumes about this one, but suffice it to say......some elders would point an ill person in the right direction, others would not.

• sf
    sf

Hello Chasson,

{{{{{{hugs for you}}}}}}

I agree with this:

"when you have nothing to say: shut-up. This is sometimes the best help in the depression: Be here and shut-up."

Take care, sKallyWagger

• Prisca
    Prisca

Bon jour Chasson,

I am sorry to hear about the elder suiciding. Depression of all kinds can affect anyone, of any station, of either sex, for any reason. Perhaps his situation as an elder pushed him to the brink, maybe he felt he couldn't fulfill his duties as an elder and be true to himself.

Today's elders are expected to carry out a huge workload, in addition to their normal obligations of family, work, money etc. It is a wonder that more elders don't choose that one-way road to escape.

• JW83
    JW83

You're all right - witnesses do ignore depression and see it as a sign of weakenss. Also, the whole witness thing can lead to depression - see Apocalypse Delayed by M James Penton (pp 288-292) if anyone's interested in how ideology can lead to suicide. I had two psychologists telling me to leave the witnesses years before I left. I wish I'd taken their advice a lot sooner! Fred Hall can keep living in fairyland - I've had elders tell me to grow up when they knew nothing about family relationships etc. They are just not competent to deal with harsh reality outside 'new system' thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit