I'm just numb! :-( I need to vent!

by caz 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• caz
    caz

I have just witnessed for myself one of the most hypocritical scenes ever before in my life!!

My sister's ex husband, ( father to 3 boys, 12, 15, 20 years) commited suicide a few days ago.

He has been a Jehova's witness all of his life and and also suffered from Bi polar disorder for most of it also, particularly bad in the past 3 years.

2 weeks before his successful attempt, he tried to kill himself but was revived, sent to hospital and convincing everyone, ( his sons and hospital staff) that he was "ok", he was sent home the next day.

My sister, although herself having been 'disfellowshipped' 3 years ago, rang several of the elders in the hope that they would lend some support to Andrew, her ex husband and hopefully help him during this very low time in his life.

Not one!!! Not one single elder visited him, almost ashamed they were!!

Not one of them offered any support to his children even though the 20 year old was now in charge of 'looking after' him!

Yesterday we had the funeral and after much deliberation behind the scenes, the elders decided that even though he had died by his own hand, they would 'take over' the funeral, which they did.

The elder preciding over the sad event talked about how imperetive it was that they form a comfort zone for these children, support them, give them spiritual guidance, help care for them, make sure they can attend meeting etc!

I want to know, where were they when Andrew had first attempted to take his life, where was his spiritual support? NO WHERE!

At the funeral, most of the attending witnesses refused to even look at my sister, let alone speak to her, they organised their own 'wake' knowing full well that she and the children had organised one elsewhere, they announced at the funeral where this wake would take place but didn't even mention the original one!

They just took over even though none of the boys had attended a meeting in several months.

I haven't got time right now to write the whole discusting story but this is a brief outline.

CaZ

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Brass balls. Sorry to hear of your loss. They seem to know how to take a devastating emotionally draining tragedy and turn it worse by far. And they think these guys should be put in charge in the "new order"... Ha

Sherry

• Soledad
    Soledad

Agape christian love.

Not.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Welcome caz -

Sad situations like the one you mention are not all that rare among the witnesses.

They lack anything close to common love. Theirs is a conditional love - based on how much work one does in the sects ministry.

They are not trained to care for legitimate mental health issues - and the results are often as this. They are insular and that adds to the problem.

Many here have experience in the area you mention - I have not. But be sure that my heart goes out to you. Most of us have left over seeing such callous lack of concern and real love. Sorry you had to deal with it so up close.

Jeff

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Hi Caz and welcome to the board! I'm so sorry for what you've been through. The jw's really know how to take a bad situation and make it worse. I feel your anger. And it's completely justified. The elders are notorious for ignoring the emotionally distraught and only swooping in at the last minute like they've been there all along. It's bullsh*t!
    Please feel free to continue to talk. There's lots of support here.
    tall penguin

• juni
    juni

Good evening Caz,

There are so many here that have had similar responses in times of need. Our family did when we asked help for our daughter. Elder we talked to went on vacation and never got back to us. First off, they are not qualified to give help so they don't know what to say. Secondly, if it doesn't relate to attending mtgs., service or any other thing that deals with following the rules of the Organization they don't have a clue. I detest pushy people like those sisters you mentioned that went ahead w/their own plans after the funeral and left his wife and families out of the picture.

They made a horrible time worse by their self-righteousness. I just don't know what more to say as I'm seeing red already. I wish the best to you and your sister and your families. Juni

• kid-A
    kid-A

Very sad story, but not unheard of in the WTS. The society encourages JWs to avoid seeking professional mental health professionals and instead rely on "prayer" or talking to the "elders".....these are the real results of this policy.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

From my experience, elders tend to get lost in the right and wrong of a situation, rather than going, hey someone just died, maybe someone needs or unconditional love.

Actually, jws as an organisation tend to be that way, more focussed on legal issues than compassion and common sense. Does it go back to "judge" rutherford?

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Sorry to hear it (((caz))) and my very best wishes for your sister and your nephews ! ! !

Welcome to the forum.

~Merry

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I'm so sorry to hear your family is going through this. You WILL get support here. People WILL listen here.

And I'm glad you posted (your first) so welcome

And feel free to vent all you need.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit