Can JW beliefs contribute to suicide?

by TD 30 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

…It may sound like a strange question, but aspects of JW behavior that are incomprehensible to outsiders actually make a morbid kind of sense when viewed through the lens of JW doctrine.

For example, about 10-12 years ago there was a single mother in my wife’s congregation. During the course of conversation, she learned that my wife’s grandmother had recently passed away. The exchange subsequently went like this:

"I’m so sorry to hear that. Was she a Witness?"

"No, she never came into the truth."

"Oh good! It’s better this way."

This makes no sense to an outsider until they understand two things:

1. JW’s believe that no one dying at Armageddon will be resurrected.

2. JW’s believe that "unbelievers" will not survive Armageddon

Taken together, these two beliefs result in morbid extremes. In the JW world, a hardened criminal who dies one day before Armageddon has the hope of living again in paradise whereas a life-long philanthropist who dies at Armageddon is gone forever.

Therefore it’s understandable why there could be a bright side to the death of an "unbelieving" but beloved relative and this perfectly explains this woman’s behavior.

Sometimes I wonder if JW doctrine may explain other incomprehensible things as well. A year or so later, this same woman, together with her young child jumped off of a high-rise building.

Even now this still bothers me. --A whole lot. (I was working in the vicinity) Human behavior is complex and there’s not always a single, unique reason for anything, but I honestly think this poor woman thought she was leaving her troubles behind and jumping into paradise.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    A year or so later, this same woman, together with her young child jumped off of a high-rise building.

OMG that is so sad!

I believe you are correct, human behaviour is complex and we can never really know what was going on in this poor woman's mind HOWEVER

We know of far too many JW's or former JWs who have committed suicide. I'm certain that the WT doctrine, as applied, contributes to higher levels of anxiety, stress and suicide or suicidal feelings than among other groups.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I knew of two people from two different congregations that I went to who have committed suicide and other JWs from both same areas who have died under questionable circumstances and with other suicides cases in the organization that is as possibility.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I personally know of four cases (out of the seven cases I personally know of) where the suicide victim left a note including that they didn't believe they would ever be good enough to survive Armageddon and they could only hope Jehovah would forgive them for killing themselves. I have had to struggle my way out of rationalizing my own suicide this way.

I think there is definite connection. In the case of suicides among DF'd/DA'd (three of the four), unless you know someone who was involved with the family you'd never know that they had been a Jehovah's Witness at one time.

AuldSoul

• vitty
    vitty

I heard of an elderly couple who flew to switzerland to have assisted suicide from a doctor, because its legal there. i didnt know them personally but it was in the news.

Their neighbours commented how shocked they where, because they were such devout witnesss

• Scully
    Scully

During a bout of very deep depression, where it was an overwhelming task just to get out of bed in the morning, I felt so guilty about not having been to meetings or out in service. It was compounded further by Brothers™ and Sisters™ offering Encouragement™ that if I didn't snap out of it, I was more or less condemning my children to death at Armageddon™. There was a point when I considered suicide, mainly because I wanted to save Jehovah the trouble of destroying me himself. One of the saddest things I realized was that for JWs, death is a viable option.

• If a person must choose between having a blood transfusion and saving their life, they are better off dead.
    • If a woman must choose between being raped and being left alive, or screaming and being raped and murdered, they are better off dead.
    • In Malawi, if JW had to choose between carrying a 25¢ identification card and being executed for treason, they were better off dead.
    There are so many other things that fall into this scenario, that made me understand that all the WTS wanted, besides your money, was your very life.
  • atypical
    atypical

I definitely think that jws feel death gives you a better chance of making it to paradise. When I was a kid, I use to hope fervently that I would die in some kind of accident because I felt I couldn't make it through Armageddon (I didn't like doing personal study, so I thought that would get me in the end). Really hardcore jws might tell you that suicide guarantees you will not be resurrected, but more liberal ones say that Jehovah would make allowances for the disturbed mental state that would allow someone to kill themselves.

TD, I am afraid to reveal too much about myself, but I know of the sister you mentioned. That was a shockwave in the valley when it happened. I did not know her myself but I know people in her congregation. I personally lost sleep when I heard about the matter. Since you are in the area, you may also know of a very well known and respected elder who killed himself just a couple years ago. I don't want to say his name, but he was admired and looked up to even by most elders, having been mentioned in a KM in the 70s. His death is actually one of the things that got me thinking deeper about things.

• Michelle5480
    Michelle5480

I think there is no question about it, we're so heavily laden with guilt that its the only real feeling we can be expected to have. Sadly Ive seen it as well. When God himself says your not good enough how can you feel any other way.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I know their teaching got me way too close to suicide. When you are reminded daily that you are not good enough for God then what is the point of trying to be better. I would never be good enough. Death seemed like a good way to prevent everybody from dealing with my problems

My sister (never baptized) decided that since she could never be perfectly good, she would be perfectly bad. She has just trashed her whole life.

• kristyann
    kristyann

I have always heard that a lot of JWs commit suicide... but I don't know any personally. I do know, however, that when my boyfriend was involved with the Watchtower organization, and also right after he got out and was having all kinds of trouble about it, he cut himself, and attempted suicide twice. Also, his younger sister is a very depressed girl... she seems very disturbed, and their mother said that she used to always find notes in her room that wrote about suicide, death, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit