Why on earth do they need all those books?

by Lady Lee 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Yes I know the standard answer - they want to sell books but hang on a minute.

Something that has always bothered me is that the average JW is incapable of explaining some of the most basic teachings without a WT book in hand.

After all those years, all that time, all those meetings, why is it so hard to understand and teach to someone else?

When you stop to think about it the early Christians weren't walking about with books and magazines. They didn't even carry a Bible cuz it wasn't even written yet. And very few people would have known how to read anyway.

So if the early Christains could explain these things why can't todays JWs?

I think it was Russell who said:

If the six volumes of Scripture studies are practically the Bible topically arranged, with Bible proof-texts given, we might not improperly nam e the volumes -- the Bible in an arranged form. That is to say, they are not merely comments on the Bible, but they are practically the Bible itself.

Such gall. And Russell was supposed to be humble??? Right. We knoa all the reasons they give but if no books were the norm in the first century then there is no need for them now.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

LL,

I remember the lead singer of R.E.M. Michael Stipe once being asked why he needed the lyrics to the bands songs on stage after having been performing them for years, his reply was, "Well many of them don't make any sense, and its hard to memorize stuff that doesn't make any sense."

I rest my case.

• Laborde2005
    Laborde2005

Jehovah's witness's use so many books because there is so many things to learn about the bible. All of the information can not be put onto one sheet of paper, it has to be laid out order so that it can be taken in easily. Thats like asking why a student needs so many books for college. There is so much information to take it, it has to be put in many different volumes and different books. As for the person who said that they need a watchtower in hand, it may have been a new witness who did not know many things about the bible. I personally know many witnesses who can answer any question a person has and tell them the scripture to look up with only using a bible. And the books are not sold, they are given out for free.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Laborde, welcome to the forum. Hope to hear more from you.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

By the way, Laborde, how about one book? The Bible.

• gumby
    gumby
    I personally know many witnesses who can answer any question a person has and tell them the scripture to look up with only using a bible. And the books are not sold, they are given out for free.

That's right....the publishers are "obligated to buy them. Then.....if the householder does offer any dough after they are asked for a contribution, the society gets ther money a second time around. Real theocratic like....eh?

LadyLee....I remember when the most I enjoyed service was when I used only the bible. I was councilled not to do so but instead follow theocratic instuction and use the offer the "Slave Class" suggested.

The reason other churches do not offer books when ministering, is because the answer to them lies in christ.....not a bunch of doctrine revealed in their books published by an organisation.

Gumby

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

First welcome to the board

I personally know many witnesses who can answer any question a person has and tell them the scripture to look up with only using a bible

Can you:

• explain 1914?
    • the prohibition on blood?
    • why no holidays?
    • 144,000?
    • who is the mediator between man and God?
    • why you go door to door?
    • why there are so many pedophiles in the WTS?
    • What is the scarlet colored wild beast
    • why it was OK for the WTS to get a library card from the UN when any other JW would not be allowed to get one
    • why at the same time the JWs in Malawi were being persecuted and beaten and raped for not buying a 25 cent government card the WTS condoned JW men in Mexico bribing officials to get a card saying they had been in the army?
    • why do JWs shun those who have left and are branded as enemies when Christ says to love your enemies?

I could go on and on and on but that's a good start.

Remember nothing but the Bible. No references. No other books. Just the Bible

• Carmel
    Carmel

....thread killer...!

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Laborde, welcome to the board.

You gave a good response to the question.

If I may ask you one question, why is it necessary to have so many rules when Jesus said there are only two?

steve

• searcher
    searcher

The reason that the JW's have so many books (apart from, as was already said, the money) is that that there is no point in JW's learning anything by heart. They need the latest book to stay current, otherwise they will be preaching something learned before the latest doctrine change, oops, I mean before the latest New Light™ Flashed™.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit