Shunning: Is it really a bad thing?

by thinker 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    She blinked slowly, had this creepy smile on her face...over the years her voice has taken on this inhumanly airy lilt, kind of like Snow White on Xanax.

That is a fantatistically accurate description. My dad used to get that smile all the time, particularly with bible studies where they asked something he thought wrong or stupid. Its like a "i know something you don't know you poor deluded fool". I've noticed over the years I've adoptred that expression too - it happens when I know I am losing an argument and haven't anything sensible left to defend myself. Cue the creepy condescending smile.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I believe in shunning. I make it a practice to shun anyone who is an asshole. Once I decided the vast majority of JWs were assholes I decided to shun them, and I advised them of their status when I DA'd.

If the organization has taught me anything worthwhile, it's that "bad associations spoil useful habits". It just took me a while to realize the principle is best applied with them in mind.

W

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Very insightful post and interesting thread.

Of course this is by no means an excuse for the cruel cultic WT policy. But to many it objectively does a favour, obliging them to move on and distancing themselves from the org instead of lingering for years in a desperate marginal situation.

I dreaded the idea of being df'd and subsequent shunning when I realised this was where I was heading to. I had many very dear JW friends who were more than family to me. I can still remember the heartbreak when it came. Yet it was clear-cut enough for me not to look back.

As Nietzsche put it, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

• thinker
    thinker

Hello All,

Well I was 'unshunned' again yesterday with a phone call. I tried to be polite, but firm; and I let her know that my wife and I feel this crisis (which started this contact) is over and we'd just like to move on with our lives. I hope she gets the message because I'm not very good at being rude, even to people who deserve it.

Please, please shun us again.

thinker

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/100193/1.ashx comprehensive article here just went up on the news wire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit