Shunning: Is it really a bad thing?

by thinker 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thinker
    thinker

I met my JW wife about 5 years ago. She DA'd shortly after we met and like most people I thought it was terribly strange and wrong that her family shunned her. For the first two years of our marriage my wife would call her parents on a fairly regular basis. Her parents would accept these calls in a polite, but cold manner. They seemed to have a whole set of rules for this limited contact. My wife could contact them, but they would never contact us. They could preach to us, but we couldn't express our own spiritual opinions. Topics discussed had to be non-religious, except when they felt like preaching. We could contact the parents, but not any other JW family members or friends.

After two years of this my wife simply stopped calling her parents. It seemed silly to keep following these rules and hoping that someday her parents might change. Our life went on and we were very happy despite the shunning and lack of contact.

As you know there are exceptions to the shunning rule. For example, you can unshun someone for business reasons. (I used to think it strange that someone would set aside strongly-held religious beliefs for business interests, but now I see that the WT is more of a business than a religion; so it makes perfect sense.) It seems JWs can also unshun someone for a family crisis (or at least my wife's parents believe this). About 5 months ago something very strange happened. My wife's parents called us! We knew this had to be an earth-shattering event and it was. We learned that my wife's worldly sibling had died unexpectedly. My mother-in-law let it be known that she was unshunning us for "the duration of the crisis". The last five months have been a flurry of unshuned events; with many personal meetings, funeral attendence, phone calls, estate questions, etc... For the first time in five years I really got a chance to know my JW in-laws. It didn't take long for me and my wife to decide that we really don't like them very much. Their behavior includes some very unchristian traits. They lie frequently, they're materialistic, manipulative, and downright dishonest in nearly every way. About a month into the 'crisis' I was longing to be shunned again, but it keeps getting drawn out as they seem to find one reason after another to keep in contact.

Now, I'm normally very patient and I tried to just wait it out; thinking they'd be shunning us again any day now. But after five months of this insanity my wife and I have decided to take matters into our own hands and have started actively shunning them.

The JWs I've met in the last few months seem to be products of the WT organization. They share many of the WT's character traits: materialism, deception and manipulation to control others. I used to think everything would be fine if they just stopped shunning us, but what my wife and I realize we really wanted was a "normal" family relationship; and that would require her family to change their ways and their thinking. If you're being shunned you may want to ask yourself if you really want to communicate with your JW family and friends as they are now. You may find that what you actually desire is a normal relationship; and that may not be possible while they remain JWs.

thinker

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I was longing to be shunned again... Now, I'm normally very patient and I tried to just wait it out; thinking they'd be shunning us again any day now

As funny as this sounds, I've heard others say it. And truth be told, I feel much the same way.

Dave

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Makes you wonder how they would be if they "Weren't" JW's? Would they still have the same personality? Would they still be judgemental? Maybe they picked a religion that fit their personality on purpose? Makes you wonder....... Snoozy..scratching her head...

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I am shunned by most of my former friends now, I knew it would happen when I da'd, and was quite prepared for it. In fact, to be honest, I am quite happy about it. I really have nothing in common with jws any more anyway. I don't share any of their beliefs now, and have made many non - conditional friendships since I left. A couple keep in touch, and I suspect one of them may be considering leaving anyway, but the rest leave me well alone now, and long may that continue.

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke
    They share many of the WT's character traits: materialism, deception and manipulation to control others. I used to think everything would be fine if they just stopped shunning us, but what my wife and I realize we really wanted was a "normal" family relationship; and that would require her family to change their ways and their thinking. If you're being shunned you may want to ask yourself if you really want to communicate with your JW family and friends as they are now. You may find that what you actually desire is a normal relationship; and that may not be possible while they remain JWs.

I think you may have hit the head of a nail that I had not previously seen. So true. I'd like my relationships that I had inside out here, free of the tyranny of the organization. I cannot handle the conversations that I have with these people now. They are always subject to judgement and attempts to bring me back into the fold.

Thank you for seeing something that I hadn't

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think that for some families it actually does disrupt what would be a normal healthy family if it wasn't for the WT rules.

It took me almost 10 years after I left for me to finally say "That's it. I'm not playing the game anymore."

I no longer patiently wait for there to be some reason for my mother to contact me. She was an abusive mother even before she got involved with the JWs. They actually reinorced the abuse she inflicted on her kids.

Interestingly a few years ago one of her sisters got baptized. I spoke with my aunt a couple of times over the last few years. While my mother shuns me, my aunt says if any elder told her to shun her own daughter (she has one who has been dfed) she would tell the elders to take a hike.

My mother and aunt lived in different provinces for most of their adult lives but about 5 years ago my mother moved to the town where this aunt is. Before a couple of years were over my aunt told me "I love my sister but I don't like her very much"

Wow what an earful to me. Most people think my mother is such a wonderful friendly person. But my JW aunt says she is mean, nasty, cruel and selfish. Finally I have someone else besides my siblings who agree that my mother really is not the nice person she pretends she is.

I also have an uncle (ex-JW-elder) who agrees with this aunt and pretty much refuses to deal with her..

It sure makes it easier for me to know she won't be bothering me. But even if she started calling (she doesn't know I moved last year) I like it this way. In fact I prefer it. She is way too manipulative and rewrites history far too often to have anything that even remotely resembles a healthy relationship.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Shunning is the gift that keeps on giving. For me shunning has been a working solution to a bad situation. People who we have been better off not having in our lives have taken themselves out of action, so to speak. Some Witness people kept a possessive contact in order to be abusive and divisive. Those were dismissed.
    I like being shunned by the Witness people of the shunning type. I hope it continues. We have no interest in personal contact with people who would agree with the shunning policy and practice it. I am not open to any business or crisis contact from a person who shuns and snubs us. I'm not open to any contact at all from such a person.
    On the flip side, if there are Witness people who treat me and my whole team good on every level, all the time, I don't have a problem with them.

• thinker
    thinker

Hi Golden girl

Makes you wonder how they would be if they "Weren't" JW's? Would they still have the same personality? Would they still be judgemental? Maybe they picked a religion that fit their personality on purpose? Makes you wonder....... Snoozy..scratching her head...

They converted very early in life, so it's hard to say what they would have been like. I can tell you that my wife is just wonderful as was her non-JW sibling.

Hi Coolhandluke,

I think you may have hit the head of a nail that I had not previously seen. So true. I'd like my relationships that I had inside out here, free of the tyranny of the organization. I cannot handle the conversations that I have with these people now. They are always subject to judgement and attempts to bring me back into the fold.

That's exactly what happened with us. We had a fantasy version of how things would be if they talked to us; all the good things minus the religion. I think my wife has had her eyes opened to how her parents really are.

You all may be interested to know about the funeral. We were told it was going to be a "good witness". The sibling wasn't baptised and he left home at 17 and never had anything to do with religion again. The funeral was at a private residence since a KH was out of the question. The parents PO did the talk and about 2/3 of the attendees were friends of the parents (all JWs of course); the other 1/3 were long-time (15-20 yr) friends of the deceased. The elder talked like the deceased was just a recently inactive JW and made him out as some kind of unbaptised publisher proclaiming the "good news". Long time friends said afterwards how he never talked religion and they had no idea he was ever involved with JWs. Then there was the condensed version of WT doctrine which sounded really strange to all the non-JWs in attendance. All-in-all JWs came off as strange liars to all the 'worldlyings'.

In the aftermath, my in-laws have managed to 'convert' a number of the deceased worldly friends. They started out as completely indifferent to JWs, but now they almost hate them with a passion because of their behavior. I guess they were right, it really was a good witness!

thinker

• Es
    Es

I have to agree when i wasnt speaking to my dad it was the best hehehe now that we speak he calls all the time and wants to do things and i hate it.

es

• Fleur
    Fleur
    If you're being shunned you may want to ask yourself if you really want to communicate with your JW family and friends as they are now. You may find that what you actually desire is a normal relationship; and that may not be possible while they remain JWs.

It took me almost seven years to get to that conclusion on my own. It's almost a year since my grandmother's death, and along with it the first contact I'd had with a JW relative I particularly missed. When she gave me the "come back, and your 'worldly' husband will come right in after you like the lamb he is." I almost threw up on her shoes. She looked like a total stepford wife. She blinked slowly, had this creepy smile on her face...over the years her voice has taken on this inhumanly airy lilt, kind of like Snow White on Xanax. This was a woman who practically raised me but she was a stranger to me now.

I realised then that even if they took me back into their lives this moment, all my family, that I would have absolutely nothing in common with any of them. This is not because I lead a debauched or skanky lifestyle, just because they have nothing to talk about except WT policies. they are facades, not real, flesh and blood people.

I had written a post a long time ago that disfellowshipping had turned out to be a protection for me, and my child especially. The longer I'm out, the more I know that what I've mourned/still sometimes mourn, is normal family, not the JW family that is still out there.

Thanks for your post.

essie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit