Phinehas executed a man for getting married...

by OldSoul 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I wonder what the Midianite women had that Israelite women didn't have?

Technique!

W

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

A willing spirit?

• blondie
    blondie

Deuteronomy 22:22-29 ***

"In case a man is found lying down with a woman owned by an owner, both of them must then die together, the man lying down with the woman and the woman. So you must clear away what is bad out of Israel.

"In case there happened to be a virgin girl engaged to a man, and a man actually found her in the city and lay down with her, 24 YOU must also bring them both out to the gate of that city and pelt them with stones, and they must die, the girl for the reason that she did not scream in the city, and the man for the reason that he humiliated the wife of his fellowman. So you must clear away what is evil from your midst.

"If, however, it is in the field that the man found the girl who was engaged, and the man grabbed hold of her and lay down with her, the man who lay down with her must also die by himself, 26 and to the girl you must do nothing. The girl has no sin deserving of death, because just as when a man rises up against his fellowman and indeed murders him, even a soul, so it is with this case. 27 For it was in the field that he found her. The girl who was engaged screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.

"In case a man finds a girl, a virgin who has not been engaged, and he actually seizes her and lies down with her, and they have been found out, 29 the man who lay down with her must also give the girl’s father fifty silver shekels, and she will become his wife due to the fact that he humiliated her. He will not be allowed to divorce her all his days.

it-2 p. 1158 Virgin ***

According to the Law, a man who seduced an unengaged virgin had to give her father 50 silver shekels ($110), was to marry her (if her father permitted), and was not allowed to divorce her "all his days." (Ex 22:16, 17; De 22:28, 29) But an engaged virgin, being viewed as already belonging to a husband, was to be stoned to death if she did not scream when sexually attacked. Her failure to scream would have denoted consent and thus would have constituted her an adulteress. (De 22:23, 24; compare Mt 1:18, 19.) The fact that an engaged virgin was regarded as being ‘owned’ by a husband also explains why Joel 1:8 could refer to "a virgin" as wailing over "the owner of her youth."

• xjwms
    xjwms

Blondie:

WOW, ... you come through again.

details, ...Details, ... DETAILS. You are a great teacher.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Even in the texts which condemn ethnical mixity in marriages (e.g. Deuteronomy, Ezra) I don't think capital punishment is advocated.

Numbers 25 explicitly mentions idolatry which is another matter, cf. v. 1ff: "While Israel was staying at Shittim, the people began to prostitute itself [a term which often implies idolatry beyond sexuality] with the women of Moab. These invited the people to the sacrifices of their gods, and the people ate and bowed down to their gods. Thus Israel yoked itself to the Baal of Peor, and Yhwh's anger was kindled against Israel."

Btw, I was just thinking that Phinehas' act which is qualified as zeal by the narrative might also be qualified as terrorism by modern standards.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies
    A willing spirit?

ROFL!!! nice one OldSoul! No Apologies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit