Phinehas executed a man for getting married...

by OldSoul 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

It just dawned on me: The way an Israelite got married was by taking a woman into his home/tent. When Zimri did that with a Midianitess, he was killed by Phinehas for it. Where was the standard set forth that they could not marry Midianite women on pain of death? Maybe it was there and I just missed it...

OldSoul

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Wasn't Moses married to a Midianitess as well? Or was there a double standard even back then? Of course, Moses took his wife before getting the law so I guess that made it ok.

I wonder what the real motive of Phinehas was. Was he really that offended by Zimri marrying a Midianitess or was he jealous that he wasn't getting any?

I always thought he was out of line and thus guilty of murder.

W

• blondie
    blondie

Never mind.

• blondie
    blondie

Did the Bible say they were married? Or is the act of taking her into his tent the same as a marriage proposal?

Fornication is not a captial offense under the Law; only adultery, because marriage/engagements are a property issue not a sexual morality issue.

Blondie

• Scully
    Scully
    Fornication is not a captial offense under the Law; only adultery, because marriage/engagements are a property issue not a sexual morality issue.

Which is interesting because the WTS spins it such that fornication is a capital offense and is a sexual morality issue. The account of the Israelite and his lady-friend being run through with a spear whilst engaging in intercourse was turned into the Dramaâ„¢ that scared the bejeebers out of me when I was a teenager.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

The way an Israelite got married was by taking a woman to his tent/home. If he took her into Phinehas' tent I could understand how it played out, 'cause that just isn't cool, but it seems from the text like it was Zimri's tent. So why did Phinehas go bustin' in on a brotha' like that? Zimri was on his honeymoon!

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Fornication is not a captial offense under the Law; only adultery, because marriage/engagements are a property issue not a sexual morality issue

Absolutely.Unless your name was King david of course.What a crock of lopsided shit the whole thing is.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    I wonder what the real motive of Phinehas was. Was he really that offended by Zimri marrying a Midianitess or was he jealous that he wasn't getting any?

That totally explains why Phineas on the drama tape groans so heavily!

• Scully
    Scully

Wasn't that after the decree that Israelites could not marry non-Israelites?

I wonder what the Midianite women had that Israelite women didn't have?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You know, I coulda sworn that Moses married a Midianitess (Zipporah).

Not so sure about the other claims in this thread...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit