Why is what JW's believe in bad? what do they believe in?

by vaporize 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    well i just want to know exactly what JWs believe in which differs from every other christianity? i know a few i guess like bdays, christmas etc. But i want to know everything..so i can judge for myself. Could someone please help me out coz i gues ive been gettin a lil stressed about it all. I dont see why people are saying RUN RUN RUN from a JW...i dun see whats so bad about being one..but maybe i dont know everything...so please if you can tell me how JW's differ from the rest. Thank you

If you think that the difference between JWs and the rest of christianity is bdays, christmas and things like that, there are clearly many,many things you don`t know. Stick around, you might learn something. The JWs are wrong about almost all of their interpretations of the Bible, possibly with the exception of the dismissal of the Trinity-doctrine (however, Jesus is not Michael the archangel). Just read around the threads, not with the "why are they so negative to JWs" in mind, but searching for truth. Seek, and you shall find...

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Vaporize-

Boy that is a can o' worms you opened here, huh?

I can only answer as to why I 'Ran, ran, ran.' The reasons are deeper than I can relate in short post, but here are the highlights;

• I was taught that Jesus loves children - then I found that Jehovah's witnesses 'policies' allow for child molesters to roam about unknown in the congregations, and they can go door to door endangering those whom they supposedly are teaching the 'Truth'
    • I was taught that the United Nations is a ferocious wild beast in Revelation - and that no one should join an organization that was out of harmony with God and the Bible - then I find that the Watchtower organization not only became a member of the UN NGO organization, but renewed that membership ten years in a row - she became part of the harlot that rides that wild beast - then she hid it, lied about it, and continues to this day to keep her members in the dark about this violation of her own stated morals
    • I was taught that the witnesses comprise the greatest family on earth -that they love one another - then I observed them turn their backs on former members and actually treat them as dead - destroying families, causing some to even commit suicide over the loss of a lifetime of friendships and having a feeling that even God hated them
    • I was taught that there was absolute proof of thier claim to be God's exclusive people - and that that selection was made by Jesus in 1919 - then I learned that the basis for all the Chronology they proclaim has no foundation - and that even when learned scholars have made extensive effort to 'work within the system' and make the Governing Body aware of such things they have been disfellowshipped to keep them quiet
    • I was taught that the Bible was the foremost book for us as witnesses - but then I learned of hundreds even thousands who have been disfellowshipped for reading and questioning matters from a Bible perspective - even a promiment member of the Governing Body was disfellowshipped for his role in making the Bible centerpiece in his life - I also learned by carefull review, that the NWT is a flawed and doctrinally biased rewrite of scripture - that Jehovah's name was incorrectly inserted in the NT portion - and that even translation influence was at times derived from a man who was known to be a spiritualist [demonized in Wt terms]
    • I was taught that the Bible forbids the use of blood - and that prohibition would extend to medical uses also - then I learned that witness law is so twisted that it basically allows use of all parts of blood, if used as fractional parts - but those who use it in transfusions witll be disfellowshipped for sinning against God - but the organization has at times authorized the trasfusing of products like "Hemopure", which is bovine Red Blood Cells processed to break the hemoglobin apart from the cell wall - therefore making it a blood fraction, although the hemoglobin represents 97% of the Red Blood Cells

In short, I left due to ethics far more than doctrine, although I do believe that they are quite tangled together in most cases. I spent 40 years believing the witness religion was the absolute "Truth". I lived it, loved it with all my heart. But when finding that it was just another religion trying to mislead, lie, and control others, I could not stay.

Please stick around, read, consider carefully what you find. I hope you don't use your whole life up, then find out what we did.

Jeff

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

It's what they don't believe in! Ask them what you can't do, and why. Ask them why you have to shun your parents if they were once baptized, ask them where it said not to celebrate Christmas, ask them.... everything!? Don't go in blind. They taught you their beliefs. You, probably, didn't know much about the bible in the first place. Now, you ready to say they are right? Study with more than one religion before you take that dive!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

It's what they don't believe in! Ask them what you can't do, and why. Ask them why you have to shun your parents if they were once baptized, ask them where it said not to celebrate Christmas, ask them.... everything!? Don't go in blind. They taught you their beliefs. You, probably, didn't know much about the bible in the first place. Now, you ready to say they are right? Study with more than one religion before you take that dive!

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

They claim to have "the truth". They demonstrably don't. When you call them on it, they banish you from all contact with cultist family and friends.

Find out the truth about "the truth". It'll save years of heartache, and it's the right thing to do.

GBL

• heathen
    heathen

Yah , even if you start one of those home "bible studies" the main thing you will be learning is WTBTS dogma . You are not allowed to disbelieve anything they tell you and if you do they will mark you as a trouble maker . This is also like being shunned . They love to defame people behind their back so you may never even know you were marked . So much for all that love bombing they hit you with at first . If I were you I would definately look around this board and various others ,since you can only find the facts here . These people will lie to your face .

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Oh and by the way, if you tell a Dub you are visiting web pages that are critical of JW's they will tell you that we are all evil Satanic demon posessed apostates bent on shipwrecking your faith in the Watchtower. They might even show you a scripture out of context to back this up. For many, this line of BS can strengthen their resolve that the Witnesses have the truth - it can become like a self fulfilling prophecy.. unfortunetly for dubs its garbage reasoning and not even Biblical.

We have the facts. Weigh the evidence. Don't be a sucker.

GBL

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    If you consider the social dynamics of a congregation objectively however you can soon cut through the warm fluffy veneer and left remaining is a core of shallowness and fear

Brilliant!

The first time I attended a meeting at a KH, this one happened to be the Westerville Ohio congregation, I was very impressed with the apparent friendliness and warmth of the people I met there. I was "won without a word" so to speak. It took many years to see the cruelty and pettiness of most JW's.

You ask, what is so wrong with being a JW? I'll answer that with a question: What is so wrong with not being a JW? JW's are absurdly hypersensitive to any criticism of their religion, yet at the same time they believe that everybody except for them is soon going to die in a bloody apocalypse for no other reason than the fact that they aren't JW's.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    if you tell a Dub you are visiting web pages that are critical of JW's they will tell you that we are all evil Satanic demon posessed apostates

ROFL! I was labelled that pretty soon after I left. The way they looked at me when I walked by them on the street, you`d think I was Lucifer himself, horns and everything.

• inquirer
    inquirer

@Vaporize, (regarding the post by Confession )

My family has been involved for four generations and more than sixty years. I myself served as a JW elder. I've only come to recognize that the organization is not what it purports to be for approximately the last seven months.

As mentioned by another contributor, key to the entire JW belief system is that there exists a "channel of communication" from God to the entire planet. They use the scripture at Matthew 24:45-47 to support the concept. I won't quote a lot of scriptures here, but I will do so with this one--since it's integral to understanding JWs...

"Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? Happy is that slave if his master on arriving finds him doing so. Truly I say to you, He will appoint him over all his belongings."

At one time they recognized the founder of the WT Society, Charles Taze Russell, as the Faithful & Discreet Slave. But in time came to believe that it was actually a "class" of Christians. This coincided with their developing belief that only 144,000 from the earth would actually go to heaven, where they would rule as Kings and Priests during Christ's "Thousand Year Reign." They found a scripture that mentioned a "little flock" and "other sheep," and concluded that the little flock was the same as the 144,000 mentioned in Revelation. The upshot? Only a very exclusive (and usually quite elderly) few still living today believe they will go to heaven when they die. The rest have an "earthly hope." And so those who profess to be of that 144,000--and are still presently alive are recognized as part of the Faithful & Discreet Slave class. Supposedly these ones, scattered throughout the earth are those who are dutifully looking after Christ's interests here--but in point of fact, it was always the Society's President--and more recently it's "Governing Body" of men in Brooklyn, New York, who have created and expressed its policies--and have compelled adherents to follow them.

Also important to understanding JWs is their belief that Armageddon is imminent. While other religious may also believe this, the JWs in particular have set definite dates for this event many times in the past. Originally it was believed to be coming in in the 1870s, but after that time came and went, the year 1914 was settled upon. It too passed by. 1915, 1918, 1925...I may be missing a couple of them, but one-by-one the prophsied years came and went--all, of course, without Armageddon occuring. After such an extraordinary series of failed prophecies, it is almost unbelievable that they AGAIN predicted a date beginning in the mid-60s. 1975 would be it. And that was thirty years ago. Even more unbelievably is how so many JWs continue to hang in there with the organization after such buffoonery. I was one of them. Today, JWs simply believe that Armageddon is "right around the corner." They come up with "new light from Jehovah" whenever they are in a position to re-explain a prophecy that was not realized.

They do not recognize Christ as Almighty God, but as God's son, who had a pre-human existence, being the first creation of God.

They do not subscribe to "immortality of the soul," believing instead that when you die, well, you actually die. They do however believe there will be a resurrection of the dead (for those who are not put to death during Armageddon.) Those of the "little flock" of 144,000 "anointed ones" will go to heaven. The "great crowd" of "other sheep" will have the opportunity of everlasting life in a paradise on earth.

They do not believe in literal torment in hellfire, but that those who refuse to conform to Jehovah's ways after they are resurrected--or those who live right up to the time of Armageddon who are not JWs--will experience the Second Death. This means that they will never receive a resurrection. Dead forever.

Regarding "modern day society," they have no problem with advancing technology, actually taking advantage of such organizationally, but instead constantly stress the need to have no unnecessary association with those who are not JWs. If they are unbaptized or are not regular meeting attenders, they are "worldly" and "bad association." They also emphasize not getting caught up in "the things of the world." They are warned not to spend time with their computers or television--or any form of recreation--if it might detract with having a "full share" in the door-to-door ministry.

Regarding "lesbians and gays," they recognize the Bible's comments on homosexuality as evidence that those practicing it will not "inherit God's Kingdom."

Regarding "various jobs," they have had much to say over the years. A Witness cannot be a Police Officer or be involved in the military. They cannot farm tobacco. As I write this, I find it pointless to keep listing them. The truth is, that the potential for the organization's finding fault with your career or job is limitless.

Regarding 'strength of belief.' Strong. Very strong. Someone else mentioned "cognitive dissonance." I agree. Many people want to believe in something, and the WT Society does a magnificent job of giving this to people. One of their most impressive feats (in my opinion) is how they've managed to "self-santize." They've done this through disfellowshiping those who do not remain loyal to the organization and begin to speak of it to others--and through demonizing such ones as evil "apotates," not even worthy of being prayed for. To the degree that an organization can keep its flock from finding where the bodies are buried--to the degree that they can keep presenting them with positive images, with purposeful work--to that degree they may be successful in receiving strong loyalty and belief.

Everlasting life in a paradise on earth... The world is passing away... Don't listen to opposers; they are only trying to mislead you... We love you; listen to us as God's spokesman... If you listen to opposers, you are opening your mind to Satan's "evil slave" and apparently have a weak or wicked heart condition... Oh, and if you DO listen to opposers, we may disfellowship you and brand you an apostate, effectively cutting you off from your entire family and community of friends you've known your whole life... Want to listen to opposers now??? I'm suggesting that the fantastic hope held out--combined with the gruesome penalties for even listening to opposers--does a pretty remarkable job of inspiring loyalty and strong belief.

You cannot pick and choose what you want to believe, but must accept the whole range of teaching as taught by the WT Society. You may not secretly entertain belief in a doctrine not sanctioned by the organization. Would you drink a glass of water with even a drop of poison in it?

Yes, a lot of what you've read is very negative. But it's not because of their basic Biblical teachings. It's because of legalism and authoritarianism. It's because they have placed themselves in the position of "conscience" for all their adherents, effectively usurping a person's own Christian conscience. It's because, in their fervor to keep the organization central in the lives of the flock, they are willing to ruin the lives of such ones.

I really enjoyed reading that post you did a while back on JW beliefs! That's pretty accurate! ...Actually it's all true!

Vaporize, I can testify that what he is saying is all truth! You can't go wrong with that! Get a good read of this, print it out if you want! It's in "book quality" form. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit