how long did it take?

by mjs mouse, ben 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Es
    Es

welcome to the board.....every now and then i go to say "the truth" even on here when im posting, sometimes its a real conscience effort to not say it. But i would say it took me a good year.

Enjoy your stay

es

• Spectre
    Spectre

I never called it that not because I didn't believe it, but because I thought it sounded stupid. I'm picky about some words. The only other one that I never used that I can think of right now was "lofty".

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I really can't remember when I stopped saying "the truth" but I definitely don't say it anymore.It really annoys me when I hear someone say it,like saying it makes more true.

When a jw says "the truth",what they are really saying is "the current teachings of the watchtower bible and trap society".

Btw,welcome to the board

Goldminer

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

I use it still, but I envision it this way: The Truthâ„¢ (All Rights Reserved, Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.).

When I think of it that way, it makes me giggle. Actually, I am a guy, so I chuckle. Who am I kiddin'? I giggle.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I was raised in it too, never baptized and I never called it the "Truth", not once that I can ever recall, that just didn't sit well with me. I have told my Dub family not to say "the Truth" in my home, call it the society, the WBTS, whatever the freak you want, but don't call it the Truth.

By the way, I never liked the name Jehovah, never said it, just always said God. I remember being questioned about that and just shrugging, inside I was just thinking, jabbering that name over and over again makes one sound like a flaming nimrod.

• moshe
    moshe

I read a JW-expose' book in Dec. 1987 and told my wife a month later I didn't believe it was the "Truth" any longer- sent my exit letter about 4 months later- got my divorce papers a year later from my JW wife .

Now the big one was when I stopped believing that Jesus was the truth in 1996. It took me four years to admit to that one publicly. I converted to Judaism in 2001- nobody ever asks what I think about Jesus now.

shalom,

Moshe

• oldflame
    oldflame

It took me about as long as to read a couple of links at freeminds.org and as soon as I was done reading ? I was done period. I was 2 weeks from being baptised.

• gumby
    gumby

The word "truth" to an ex-jw is used the same as "the organisation". Many ex's refrain from using it as it makes them feel as though their saying it's still the truth.

Most reword or quit using the phrase at the time they realise it isn't the truth.

Gumby

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

When I first started looking exJW sites I went to another forum and posted a comment. I included a reference to 'the truth' and was immediately flamed by the other board members. I felt really welcomed there! LOL

But it made me concious of it. Now I just hate hearing the term. I think its very presumptious to claim what you have is the truth.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Ha, you could use the old rubberband on the wrist trick. You know, where you snap it and hurt yourself each time you catch yourself saying "the truth". Seriously though, when you say it, correct with something you'd rather call it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit