10 Nutty Beliefs!

by Tina 46 Replies latest jw friends

• troubled
    troubled

Tina,

I just read this thread, and I can see areas that I definitely need to work on and think about. I do tend to worry, catastrophize, and emotionally overreact sometimes. Thank you for posting it.

And thank you, Larc, for referring me to this interesting thread.

By the way, what's the name of the Ellis books are you refer to?

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Hi Troubled,

This is larc's wife.

Ellis' has written many books.

You might want to start with his
    "Guide to Rational Living," - a classic written in the mid-70's, and one I definitely know larc would suggest.

Last year, he wrote a book called,
    "Overcoming Destructive Beliefs, Feelings and Behaviors." I haven't read it yet, but do recall that it got rave reviews in the New York Times, and other booklists.

A thought - you might want to type "Albert Ellis" into Amazon's search, bet you could find some used editions and save yourself some $$.

Larc will probably give his recommendations, a little later.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi troubled!
    Funny you found this because I was thinking of it myself in doing some personal re-assessments.
    Thanks Zazz,Ellis ,jmo,is a must read.Anything he's written is excellent!
    Glad others find it as helpful as I always do. From time to time,I have to go back to that list. We're all works in progress :> luv to all.T

Vive Bene
    Spesso L'amore
    Di Risata Molto!!!

• larc
    larc

Troubled,

I am glad you found this thread and read it. Regarding Ellis's books, the two that my wife mentioned: I haven't read the newer one, but from what my wife wrote, I think it would be a good place to start.

Tina,

I know what you mean by us being works in progress. Sometimes, I need to go back for a review myself. Old habits are hard to break.

I remember when I used to explain Ellis's ideas to my students, I always felt real good afterwards. It helped me by explaining the ideas to someone else.

I do have one suggestion for all of you. If someone close to you says, "You make me mad." Do not respond by saying, "I am not making you mad, you are making yourself mad." While this is a true statement, it does not work. I tryed it once...just thought I would save you all a little trouble.

• waiting1
    waiting1

yeah........kinda like spittin' in the wind, eh?

If someone close to you says, "You make me mad." Do not respond by saying, "I am not making you mad, you are making yourself mad."
    It's a true statement....but so are the consequences of spittin' in the wind.

Glad to see your post, Larc. Hope Ohio weather is doing ok? Looks like a storm might be coming your way. Stay warm!

waiting

• larc
    larc

Waiting,

I am doing right fine. Thanks for asking. The weather here in my room is quite comfortable. Anything short of a tornado outside is fine with me. After all, that is why God created furnaces. hee hee.

I haven't been posting as much lately, because I am getting involved in some heavy duty research. I am working with a young, hungry for publications, professor. Since I am retired, I don't have to do this. It is sort of a hobby for me.

Take care.

• larc
    larc

Brought it back, because there are some good ideas here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit