Pioneer defends WT involvement with UN

by Shania 26 Replies latest jw friends

• hawkaw
    hawkaw
    The WTS was never members of the UN. (Likewise Witnesses weren't either. The WTS and the JW religion are different legal institutions). Only national governments can be members of the UN. All other organizations can become associated with the UN as NGOs. The WTS sought for and was granted NGO status. The UN website has an entire section on NGOs and their role. To become an NGO, that organization has to agree to the principles of the UN and help promote the UN. That's where the hypocrisy comes in.

Just to be a little more picky. The Watchtower has and always will be a non govenmental organization (ie. a not for profit corporation). To become an "associated" NGO with the UN's Department of Public Information (DPI) the UN has to agree to the principles in the UN charter and to promote (dissiminate information on) the UN and must re-new its associated status annually. NGOs can also receive "consultative" status with the UN's ECOSOC but the WTS never did that.

The UN literature shows this to be a "partnership". The 1991 Watchtower article - Their refuge - a lie! clearly shows this to be a no no.

BTW - well done getting that information to the "sister". That will get some cd going.

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Besides Kennesson's post please note the following:

If you need to find the 1991 article???? A few of us did a lot of reseach on this. Mad Apostate and me did the following threads.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/27169/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/21916/1.ashx

The article is found in the Watchtower magazine of June 1, 1991 pages 15-20 Their Refuge-A Lie!

The threads also provides information on another article that is found in the Watchtower magazine Dec 1, 1976, page 711 article -"Can an Image Bring Peace and Security".

We also provide you links to the scanned original Muller essay that brings the whole 1991 article into context.

You might also want to link to Hooberus' thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/55894/1.ashx on the library card defence.

You might also want to click here http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/un.htm . Besides my essay you have links to the various scanned documents.

Take care,

hawk

• joelbear
    joelbear

the bureaucracy at bethel is so entangled with things that the common witness abhors, they would be totally stunned.

• Shania
    Shania

Thanks for your thoughts. I do know about the ngo status, but knew she would never get it, so I tried to put it in simple terms. Also she mentioned the Catholic religion, but said we are not like them, we are only taking notes, they are involved with the UN decisions. I do realize this all happened 3 or4 years ago, that is why I hesitated from even bringing it up.................I'm sure it all fell on deaf ears anyway.

Sometimes it is not worth your effort because you know witness like this don't care...........all I can say is I tried................

But this lead to a more important agenda for her: "IS THIS THE REASON WHY YOU DON'T GO TO ALL THE MEETINGS ANYMORE?"

So there you have it folks, the real reason your witness friends care about you. MEETINGS!!!!!!!!!!!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I find the idea of Watchtowerites visiting the UN daily to be kept informed to be completely hilarious. I suppose that they have lunch with the Secretary General, and are allowed into the Security Committee meetings.

In all likelihood, they have the cleaning contract. Maybe they go on the occasional tour. A bethel visit to the UN would yeild about as much information as my visit to the post office.

• twinflame
    twinflame

The sad part is that the WTS disassociated themselves. Too bad they weren't disfellowshipped. The utter peak of hypocrisy. The Borg is the Disgusting Thing.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Hawkaw's post is dead on target. To add one brief amendment to those thoughts, according to their published standards for Christians (in the books Organized to Accomplish Our Ministry and Organized to Do Jehovah's Will) it is clear that whether there were Criteria for Association or not, it is an act of deliberate Disassociation to join those disapproved by God. The Scriptures used are Isaiah 2:4 and Revelation 19:17-21.

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc. joined the advocate and mouthpiece of the UN, the UN/DPI. Is the UN/DPI an organization under judgment by God? According to the Organization, yes. But they do not hold themselves to the same standards they hold others to.

Romans 2:1-2 — Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are, if you judge; for in the thing in which you judge another, you condemn yourself, inasmuch as you that judge practice the same things. Now we know that the judgment of God is, in accord with truth, against those who practice such things.

"Whoever you are" says it all.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit