San Francisco Anyone?

by Tina 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Tina
    Tina

Greetings!

Pardon this off topic please.
    I thought I could get some good input here.
    I'm sending my son on a mini-break (vacation) for his birthday.
    He's always wanted to see San Francisco. He's 26. (yes,Im still a mother hen too :>) He has just a few days so what would you recommend as a 'must see'? What will really give the 'flavor' of SF? (Of course he's going to see Alcatraz, criminal justice major that he is ) What do you or did you find appealing?
    Any suggestions? Tips? Not to be missed places? I lived in Belmont for a bit yrs ago,but was kinda young and Gramps didn't take me into the city much. Thanks in advance! luv,Tina

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

I love SF!

It's sort of tacky, but fun if you love garlic, The Stinking Rose Restaurant.
    Fisherman's Wharf
    Chinatown
    day trip to Napa Valley (ride a double decker bus and drink wine all day and get to cross the Golden Gate Bridge)
    I only spent a couple days there myself so I'm probably not up on the less touristy spots.

It was the only big city I wouldn't mind living in, very interesting and cosmopolitan.

Anne

"When caught between two evils I generally pick the one I've never tried before." Mae West

• Tina
    Tina

Thanks Ann!
    BTw Welcome aboard. I've been enjoying your posts!
    Rocco thinks he might like to live there as well. One of the reasons he wants to see it.(among a few other cities he'll visit in the future) I booked a room for him at the SanFrancisco Hilton today so he should be in the heart of it. Thanks for the suggestions! hugs,Tina

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Hi Tina,

I have not been there to sight-see for many years, but when I did get to look around I always enjoyed Golden Gate Park. Among other things there was a Japanese Garden that was just beautiful. The Golden Gate Bridge is also awe-inspiring. The cable cars run up and down some of the more scenic streets.

There is also a look-out on top of the highest point in the city that one can drive to, but I do not remember how to get to it. Someone else here probably can direct your son to it. The view at night is great

Hope he enjoys his visit.

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Eccl 1:14, 15

• rem
    rem

Hey Tina,

My wife and I live right outside of SF and I work in the city quite often. Your son is the same age as us. Maybe when he comes out here we can hook up and we can show him some sites in the city? We show visitors around the city all of the time! And maybe your son can show a couple of exJDubs how to party? :)

rem

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so."
    ..........Bertrand Russell

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

My favorite things to do in SF:

1) Visit the DeYoung Museum/Legion of Honor in Lincoln park.
    ----GREAT veiws of the Golden Gate and the bay, really, very beautiful....
    ----Great art to see (see The Thinker)....
    ----just over-all a beautiful place, a fantastic photo op, and I just like it there!! :)

2) Union Square, and all the roads leading to and from Union Square..I like walking them, and if I have money, shopping them! Fun people watching..Also, the theater district is near by and you can catch a show!!!! Great food around there too! (oh and the St Francis Hotel is there....a cool place to see, and has nifty glass elevators that are fun to ride at night and see the city lit up)

3) Of course, you must drive(or walk)across the Golden Gate Bridge, through the 'rainbow tunnel' (I know it has a real name, but the one I made up when I was 4 is so much better!) Take in the sites as you go over, being sure to look up at the cables now and then.....but it is when you get to the other side and look back that the view is best. I could sit in Sausalito all day and watch the sail boats, the fog, and the SF skyline.....Beautiful!

4) I like the Palace of Fine Arts. Nice place to have a picnic and stroll around some very cool buildings...

5) Do not go the the Cow Palace. Bad area, with possible active JWs attending DC. ;)

I love SF! Clean air and lots going on and interesting people and art, and music, and views, and it is just a beautiful place, to me!
    I always wanted to live in SF for a year before I got married. Oh well!

I hope your son has fun here! (be advised: Housing is Expensive!!!! I mean, seriously expensive. I live 40 mins from SF in Sunnyvale and it is crazy expensive here, too, but not quite as bad.

Regards,
    LisaBobeesa

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Sam!
    Good suggestion,thank you! hugs,T

Rem,
    How very kind of you. I'll be printing out this thread to show him. (he already said thank you,how nice!) I'll let you know what he decides . Thanks for the generous offer! hugs,T

Wow Lisa,
    Thanks! He's going to appreciate your suggestions here.
    He'll laff when he sees your advisory about the Cow Palace lol. That was cute :D
    I agree,I've looked at the newspapers to get a handle on housing etc. It IS expensive to live there. At least he'll be able to see it anyway! It is such a beautiful city. Lucky girl! You live close to it.
    Thanks again Lisa!hugs,tina (still giggling about the cow palace comment)

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Oh, and one more thing!!!

Try to catch a concert at the Fillmore. This place is great, and when you just walk in the lobby, you step back in time to 1968! It is a must-see if you are into music (think Janice, Jimmy and Jefferson Airplane). The history is amazing. These days I think they play a lot of alternative stuff, so depending on your tastes, you may or may not find a show you would like. But still, it is a neat place to see, and a great place to see a concert.
    Peace,
    LisaBobeesa

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

the coldest winter i ever spent was a summer in
    san francisco......
    m.t.

I am sure your son would enjoy going to the meetings and witnessing the worldwide brotherhood we have

• Tina
    Tina

Hey Lisa!
    I didn't know the Fillmore was still around!1 I recall it's heyday and the artists you mentioned. The Dead,Family Dog,quicksilver messenger service etc etc...yep what a slice of histort there! Thanks!

Hi ny,
    lol,I don't think so. They hurt him so terribly,that he still hasn't dealt fully with it. And anyways he's considered DA'd since he joined the Army right after he left. Tina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit