Really, Do You Look Down Upon Religious People?

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I find myself doing that at times.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I do the ones who try to impose their views and way of life on me and ones who don't mind their own business and ones who get involved in politics and impose laws that prevent me from buying a glass of wine to go with my steak at restaurants or buying alcohol on Sunday and force their own form of public prayer in school, etc.

• minimus
    minimus

JWs are in LaLaLand but even other religious groups can tend to be irritating.

• xjwms
    xjwms

Funny you should ask

I found myself doing that.

I am trying not to do this, but, I find myself just shaking my head, ... no...no..no.

• Cori
    Cori

I've caught myself a few times as well. I work with a woman who is very religious, and tends to be very judgemental at times. I have listened to her speeches, but find myself feeling sorry for her.

I guess thats not too nice...

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I guess that depends on how you define religious people. If you are talking about total fundamentalist (JW's included), faith healing, rolling on the floor speaking in tongues religious people, then no I don't look "down" on them but I see them as pretty misguied.

If you are talking about people with a healthy faith that brings them a lot of peace and joy in their lives, that don't try to convert everyone they meet, don't go on about their faith constantly, and seem to be better people for it, then no, I think those people are great.

• cranwood
    cranwood

yes at times. but i was just like them along time ago.i guess i should pity them

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I spent so many years condemning them all [that is all except witnesses] , that I actually stop and listen and read articles in the paper about them now, with interest.

As witnesses we judged them all as evil. There is some of that. But there is a lot of good there too. I even visit thier bookstores now. And some of their websites.

Don't look down - but I am not looking for the one that will replace the 'truth' either.

Jeff

• colorado5591
    colorado5591

Everybody needs something to believe in.
    When we look down upon religious people , we are no better than those who look down upon us, right?

Many of us were at one time very religious individuals, adamant that we were correct and everyone else was dead wrong and ignorant. We were programed to "look down" upon everyone who did not whole heartedly share our views.
    How did you feel when you found out how wrong you were? Did you look down upon your own self for looking down upon others??
    Despite that we all have many differences, we are all the same, we all put our pants on "one leg at a time". When we adopt the attitude of looking down upon or judging others, our hearts and minds become closed off and it truly hinders understanding our fellow man.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I guess that depends on how you define religious people. If you are talking about total fundamentalist (JW's included), faith healing, rolling on the floor speaking in tongues religious people, then no I don't look "down" on them but I see them as pretty misguied.

If you are talking about people with a healthy faith that brings them a lot of peace and joy in their lives, that don't try to convert everyone they meet, don't go on about their faith constantly, and seem to be better people for it, then no, I think those people are great.

My thoughts, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit