IS THIS WHY ELDERS ARE SO EGOTISTICAL??

by chuckyy 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• chuckyy
    chuckyy

I HAVE THIS THEORY.

SOMEONE ONCE SAID TO ME.....' iTS NO GOOD COMING INTO THE TRUTH IF YOU ARE A SENSITIVE PERSON.'

I HAVE FOUND IN MY EXPERIENCE AS A FORMER ELDER THAT A LOT OF ELDERS HAVE VERY LARGE EGOS. MY THEORY IS THIS:

TO BECOME AN ELDER A PERSON GENERALLY HAS TO BE AMBITIOUS BY NATURE. THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE BUT IT IS FOR THE MAJORITY.

ON THE OTHER HAND, IF YOU ARE A PERSON WHO IS NOT OVERLY AMBITIOUS AND YOU DONT REALL Y CARE ABOUT POSITION, YOU ARE UNLIKELY TO EVER BECOME AN ELDER.

THE DIFFICULTY WITH THIS IS, THE GENUINLY NICE PEOPLE ARE NEVER ELDERS WHILST THE AMBITIOUS, PERHAPS NOT SO GENUINLY CARING PEOPLE DO END UP AS ELDERS.

DO YOU AGREE?

CHUKKY

• under74
    under74

I wouldn't have ever classified my grandfather as ambitious but I think he was in order to get eldership. I actually think it was the only type of authority or rank he could get outside his family. The sense of accomplishment and authority he certainly wouldn't have got it in any of the jobs he had. And trust me this isn't to blame his employers....my grandfather always thought he was better than everyone and didn't have to follow rules...AND still does.

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

I noticed that many elders didn't have alot of education and worked laborer jobs such as bricklayer, construction, roofer, etc. The Kingdom Hall was a place where they could be important and bossy, and these types craved that kind of prominence and power they could not get anywhere else. In my father's case, he likes to pressure the cargroup to go to lunch after service and he pays. This seems to be another way of being controlling them and buying their loyalty. There is a lot of rivalry and "swinging their antlers" among elders.

• anglise
    anglise

Hi Chukky,

I would have to agree that a large percentage of the elders are egotistical, but not all.

I would imagine it is because they believe the WTBTS rhetoric about being "spirit appointed" and "princes in the earth" etc. Such words would easily bolster the average JW elder ego, especially those who do a menial type job and have no standing in the workplace.

Added to that is the way many in the cong idolize the elders. It is all a recipe for the type of bullying hierarchy that exists in most congs.

Having said that there are some who are really kind, loving gentle people. Sadly they either burn out or are sidelined by the rest of the body.

Anglise

• avishai
    avishai

power attracts the corruptible.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

this has always been an issue where i've been torn. i've known some genuinely nice elders, that really thought they were helping, and sometimes really did help. and then i've known a lot of @ssholes also. i think it mainly depends on what kind of a person you are to begin with.

luv, jojo

• Gopher
    Gopher

The WT Society's teachings also enforce compliance with the elders. They constantly quote the scriptures about "showing honor to those taking the lead among you". Those who are appointed to these positions supposedly meet qualifications that others didn't, so those others had better keep their place! Otherwise you won't get privileges, and if you don't keep your place you might face two of these men in a small room at the back of the hall.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I can agree to a lot of that. Its a staus thing as well. They like being noticed and being authoratitive. A bit like the Pharisees i would imagine.

• Jordan
    Jordan

The Elder's are like Politicians, most of them go into it with their head screwed on, genuinely wanting to make a difference, or make things better. But eventually they either get corrupted by the power.

EDIT: I said "head screwed on" about the elders... LMAO! I meant regarding the dubs, not screwed on in general, otherwise they wouldn't be part of the borg...

• skinnyboy
    skinnyboy

Definately agree there, the elders in my old congregation loved the power! The most morose dumbass blokes around, given this perceived power, shit yeah they abused it! And for the Cheshire set here, does anyone remember from the mid 80's early 90's perhaps a Circuit Overseer called Tom something or other? he looked a bit like Benny Hill, but less amusing. He was the most obnoxious arrogant SOB i have ever met, far worse than anyone i have ever met "in the world" He lambasted the congreagtion, called us all spiritually weak the whole week he was there! I remember my dad doing an impression of him and he was hilarious! He was originally from Bath, and all he harped on about was how wonderful the congregation was in Bath, most people in our hall were muttering "well eff-off back there then" under their breaths! He was a prick!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit