Are artist's faces copyrighted?

by Lilycurly 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Oh...now I'm all confused....I also asked on other boards and some say of course, some say don't...I'll do just that and check with the law itself.lol

• under74
    under74
    You cannot use artist/atheletes faces or likenesses without their permission.

Actually you can. I've done it...but I'm in the US. It's only if you're using another artists copyrighted work or the artists/athletes non quoted words that it's illegal.....and it has to be proven illegal in a court Like I wrote before if you have changed anything enough they can't press charges. Also, regardless of all that faces are not copy righted otherwise every photographer would be in court.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Oh....that's right...the papparazzies and photographers on the red carpets and all that...they don't get sued...so it must be okay?

• defd
    defd

man i better be careful. Could I get sued for taking lilys avatar and using it as my desktopback ground?

• under74
    under74

Yeah, but so long as it's not from another artist's drawing. Just look up your local laws to see what the limits are. I can tell you what they are in the US but not Canada...

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

*blushes* Awww! Defd! *giggle*

• defd
    defd

THREAD dont die yet!

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

defd you flirt

I think the main thing is to not take someone elses work and claim it to be your own that is plagurising....

in the music industry bands can do "covers" of other bands songs, but as long as they pay royalty and not claim the song to be their own....

hope that helps

Evanescence

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Hmmm...yes, I know...that's why I'm making a point of not using photographs to make my paintings. But now I'm scared I might get sued by "petty celebritites" lol

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

you could try

photography by :whoever it was

Painting by: Lilycurly

that should work maybe read up on the net about this topic..I dunno

Evanescence

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit