To what extent do JW believe in Ghosts/demons/wicked spirits

by gaybeat 13 Replies latest jw friends

• gaybeat
    gaybeat

I'm pretty confused by the fact that My mom says JW do not believe in Ghosts, yet a sister commented about seeing things flying inside a householder whom performed witchcraft. To me it was sort of hinting to Ghosts or demons are visible to the eye or maybe it was Bats? Also I remember one time in bible study, someone was saying how wicked spirits were bothering a family, and so they had to burn all their books on Harry Potter, and other ghost stories and after that the spirits stopped.

So the question is do JW believe they can see wickedspirits?
    Or was she just referring to Bats, and trying to confuse everyone?

• kls
    kls

Jws believe everything that goes bump in the night are demons . Everything is caused by demons ,even zits

• gaybeat
    gaybeat

So you could say that they believe in Demons as Ghosts, and they can see them?

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

exactly. they just dont call em "ghosts" because it sounds too childish. as if "demons" doesn't...

• damselfly
    damselfly

I questioned this as a child. Why do JW people that demons exist but not ghosts? I was told that ghosts are just demons "pretending" to be ghosts to trick people Therefore to believe in ghosts was wrong but demons are perfectly fine to believe in. Spirits didn't exist either, unless they were demon spirits.

Dams

• Jordan
    Jordan

The worrying thing is, they put every single mishap in their life down to demons, they don't like to consider the possibility that perhaps they fucked up somewhere along the line.

• carla
    carla

Funny thing is they seem to believe so much in 'demons', yet they don't believe in guardian angels or any sort of 'good spirits'. Whatever they may be called. Only the negative.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

JWs extend their belief in the supernatural to almost ridiculous proportions. Not only do they attribute so-called "supernatural" events to demons, but they also credit demons with some pretty mundane activities. Hypnosis, dowsing, and even tire rotation (don't ask) have been credited to demons. Demons put obstacles in the way of their meeting attendance, by making their cars break down and their children sick. They make your relatives oppose you when you study. They run web sites, and make naughty movies.

But, really, this is a natural extension of their belief system. You see, if you believe in God and Jesus, and all of the activities that JWs attribute to them then you come to the inevitable conclusion that Satan and demons are as believable as Jesus and Jehovah - if there are no demons, then there is no God, either. After all, if Satan hadn't tempted Eve, then there would be no ransom sacrifice. If Satan hadn't persecuted Job, then the issue of universal sovereignty wouldn't have been highlighted. Satan is an essential part of JW beliefs.

• Jordan
    Jordan

Tire Rotation? LMAO... I had one dub return a Rental DVD to the shop, he made a passing comment about it not working and demons being the reason it didn't work in his DVD player. Now if that had been anybody else who said it, I would've laughed it off, but I got a scary feeling he was being serious, and truly believed it.

• Balsam
    Balsam

I was thinking perhaps death is not end of life, but the soul spirit or what ever continues on. Then this beloved family member who has passed tries to let his family, who is still in the flesh, know they are alive and not truely dead. Then the JW family member starts screaming DEMONS are after them. How discouraging would that be to the loved one who passed on. Here they though they were going to be asleep in the grave and instead are quite alive but can't communicate in the normal fashion with those love. But to be called a DEMON is the ultimate insult. I am sure that JW's have scared off many a dead loved one trying to comfort their left behind loved ones. Just a thought. I always felt rather sad that JW felt they knew all there was to know about the afterlife even when they knew nothing at all.

Anyway anykind of supernatural event is considered DEMON's which is totally middle ages thinking. Even if it was totally something that could be explained scientifically. I think of all the Harry Potter books, Smurfs, records, gifts have been detroyed by JW because they were sure DEMONS were everywhere tormenting them. God forbid DEMONIC music.

Balsam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit