WELCOME, enosant! And HELLO to all lurkers!

by OldSoul 11 Replies latest jw friends

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Welcome ! ! !

Well, enosant, you made it here. There are many nominal Witnesses here, many who have left, many who are leaving and many who've been thrown out. Admittedly, there is some teeth gnashing going on here, but given that our families have been stripped from us by policies of a multi-billion dollar Corporation that operates under the guise of religion I don't think that is an unreasonable reaction.

Kick back and enjoy the fresh air. Feel free to talk about whatever is on your heart and mind, or feel free to be silent. Wow! Freedom of expression!

Hello, lurkers!! Stop in and say hi. If you want to really get the best from this forum, log in and start testing your viewpoints. Prepare to have them challenged, disagreed with, and—in some cases—roundly whipped and sent to bed without dessert. Perhaps you might disagree with others here, but everyone is free to express themselves as long as it is done respectfully.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yep, sounds good!

And don't forget the shiraz!!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Alright now I'm curious...what is shiraz?

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

[clinking glass] Shiraz!

mrsjones, apart from being a city in Iran, shiraz is also a breed of grape, from which Aussie's make a nice wine.

Did I get that right, ozziepost?

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

W H A T !!!!!!!! You don't know shiraz???? Oh, you poor thing, you don't know what you've been missing!

Shiraz

by Toni Paterson Master of Wine

Shiraz is the most widely planted grape variety in Australia. It currently represents 40% of the total red grape crush and constitutes one fifth of all wine grape production in Australia. It is without doubt Australia's favourite red variety, both domestically and internationally.

However Shiraz has not always enjoyed the popularity that it does today. Until the mid-1900s, Shiraz was grown purely for fortified wine production. Its ability to get very ripe, along with its inherent rich flavours made is perfect for this wine style. When the red table wine boom began in Australia, Shiraz was overlooked whilst the refined and sophisticated Cabernet Sauvignon became the wine of fashion.

Shiraz reached its lowest point when the South Australian government implemented a vine pull scheme to replace old, low yielding Shiraz vines with the more fashionable Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. Thankfully, some growers resisted, giving us the iconic old block Shiraz styles that Australia is now renowned for.

Shiraz underwent a renaissance when the international world began to focus on Australia. Never before had Shiraz as opulent, as powerful and as seductive been seen. Ripe fruit, a fleshy mid palate, soft tannins and a kick of American oak became the template for Australian Shiraz. And the regions of focus were the Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale and the Hunter Valley.

The beauty of Shiraz is that it can flourish in a range of climates and slowly cool climate Shiraz came into focus. The cooler regions of Central Victoria, Coonawarra and Padthaway became known for structured wines that had black cherry, pepper and spice characters rather than the chocolate and stewed plums found in warmer climates.

Shiraz can be made into a range of styles, defined by the terroir of the region and the winemakers' artistry. In an attempt to allow for regional characters to be expressed, many winemakers are moving away from 100% new American oak, preferring the use of older barrels and/or French oak. The result is a plethora of new styles with finesse and complexity.

Never before has Shiraz enjoyed such stardom. With its soft ripe tannins, it can be crafted into wines suitable for immediate consumption. However it real character is seen in wines with longevity that show layers of intoxicating complexity with age. Shiraz deserves is status as Australia's flagship grape variety. Find yourself a 10-year-old Barossa Shiraz and you will easily see why.
    © Toni Paterson 2002

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Is it sweet or dry? I like sweet wines. Sounds good. I'll mention it to my husband and see if we can find it here and try it out. Cheers!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Sorry, it's not sweet.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Welcome Enosant! Glad you made it here!

Josie

• Purza
    Purza

A warm welcome to all the lurkers!

And don't forget the shiraz!!

I absolutely LOVE Aussie Shiraz! Its the best!!!

Purza

• delilah
    delilah

YUP....Wolf Blass Brown Label shiraz.....Thanks Ozz....must go to liquor store.....

Oh, WELCOME Enosant....and others....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit