The story of my life (part 9- 1975: the date comes)

by onacruse 30 Replies latest jw friends

• TopHat
    TopHat

At one time I thought I had found the truth in WTS

Don't we all want in our heart of hearts a better world, so when someone comes to you and proves that a better world is due in your lifetime and using Gods word, you want to believe them.

In 1975 I wasn't attending meetings regularly...I had fallen away so to speak. I guess I never did believe WTS and GB...I put my life in Jehovah's hands at that time and still do today. Although I started attending meetings and going out in field service again in 1988. BUT again in 1999 I stopped going to meetings and never went back.

However I still have faith in Jehovah because I always believed in God's word., NOT the WTS

• joelbear
    joelbear

i knew the big A wasn't coming because too much had to happen first, Peace and security wasn't being declared Religion wasn't falling and the great tribution also had to come, i figured these events would take more than a few months.

• Legolas
    Legolas

I can only imagine what it must have felt like on that daying waiting for it to start and then not come!

I am waiting for part 10!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Around 1973, my cousin got married to a fellow who is currently the foremost elder in the area. A while ago, he gave a talk about how the whole 1975 fiasco never happened.

Well, shortly after, I was at his house for his 25th anniversary get-together. He played an audio tape from his wedding. At his wedding, a relative (also an elder, but now passed away) sung a song for the happy couple that he had written himself. One of the lines was "if you can make it through to 75, you can make it for a thousand years".

So much for the denial of the 75 fiasco.

• bennyk
    bennyk

I can honestly say I never believed the hoopla regarding 1975. Put too much stock in Matt. 24:36.

Will reluctantly admit I dishonestly tried to explain away the GB's false prophecy when speaking in Field Service post-1975.

Vitty, you brought tears to my eyes. Don't do that!!!

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

The sad thing is, if one did not look forward and plan for the oct 1975 thereabouts date, it labeled you as untrusting and weak. Yet, one month past and you happened to still think the end was about to happen...a person was often labeled as jumping to conclusions. This, at least, was true in my congregation. Thank, whom ever, I only accepted that for no more than a couple of years after '75. I only remember being so very, very disappointed and hurt, so, decided to take control of my own life and refused to be or feel guilty. YES! Life then began. And I was to know real happiness after the org.

• onacruse
    onacruse

bennyk:

Put too much stock in Matt. 24:36.

Interesting that you admit that. It became a major part of my committee meeting, in an odd sort of way. If I fail to capture that part of my "judicial proceedings" in a subsequent post, please feel free to remind me to so do.

Will reluctantly admit I dishonestly tried to explain away the GB's false prophecy when speaking in Field Service post-1975.

Also an interesting admission.

Thank you for your honesty in these regards.

Craig

• bennyk
    bennyk

"Put too much stock in Matt. 24:36" is simply an explanation for my pre-1975 reluctance to view 1975 as anything of particular significance. I once announced to the FS cargroup that the 1975 Doctrine was to be rejected because of the scripture, and got a "trimming" from an Elder (but nothing more, because I was still young and unbaptised [also, no apology post-'75 ]). And there were quite a number of people who couldn't muster enthusiasm for the WTS' chronological fantasy (although less than will now claim to have remained undeceived ).

I didn't actually LIE regarding the '75 Expectation, but I certainly did BEND the truth -- and in so doing found myself in plentiful (if not necessarily good) company. Life is full of regrets...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

This is the first I have read in your series and thankyou. I will now go back and read parts 1 to 8

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I will now make the effort to read part 1- 8.Thankyou

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit