Name responsibilities that sisters could have had at the hall

by JH 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I remember one year for the Memorial, my Mom had the honor and priveledge of making the unleavened bread. It was crispy and looked like a wheat tortilla. Funny thing was, after the Memorial it was ok to eat it. I rembember too that the sistas would bring around coffee and H20 to all the bros @ the Quick Builds.

• zagor
    zagor

That depends, if her hubby was an elder she would by default become an eldertess.

In fact you could usually recognise a spirit of congregation as it is shaped by a dominant eldertess.

That's my experinece, and I've been in lots of congregations on 3 continents (AU, US, EU)

• skinnyboy
    skinnyboy

sisters passing the microphones???? Think about it, they might show a bit of skin leaning over, there would be mass-hysteria!

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Until 1937 women could be "deaconesses" (modernly MSs) in the congregations and also had an equal vote in electing the elders of the congregation.

In fact there is no Scriptural reason why Women could not serve in either non-teaching Ministerial Servant roles and Administrative roles througout the JW hierarchy, in addition to of course being more than cable to handle such minor "privileges" as operating the sound, distributing and adjusting microphones, and working the literature counter.

I believe that women will hold these roles in the Organization in the future.

-Eduardo Leaton Jr., Esq.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

In the congregation I attended the sisters were especially subservient. When we were leaving the hall after the meeting for service I noticed that the lights in the hall were on. I asked the sister who was the last one out why she didn't turn the lights out. Her reply? "The brothers don't let us do that." OMG, I was mortified. I told her that there were not scriptures prohibiting women from turning off the lights in the Hall so please feel free to turn them off when you leave.

This made me realize that I was supporting a very archaic and stupid mindset.

W.Once

• delilah
    delilah

Skinnyboy said,"sisters passing the microphones???? Think about it, they might show a bit of skin leaning over, there would be mass-hysteria

Yeah, especially if they were "well-endowed", LOL....can you just imagine??? Elderly brother in his 80's, having a heart attack at the sight of those ?

I once heard a story, don't know if was true or not, but a brother needed to use the washroom at the hall, forgot to turn off his microphone and the entire congregation "heard" him doing his business...

A sister would JUST die if that happened to her....

• JH
    JH

I once heard a story, don't know if was true or not, but a brother needed to use the washroom at the hall, forgot to turn off his microphone and the entire congregation "heard" him doing his business...
    We had 3 microphones at our hall, and the brother in charge for the sound turned the amplification down to zero when no one was speaking into a particular mic, so I doubt this could happen, but strange things could happen........

• Cellist
    Cellist

I had the "privilege" of typing the school schedules. Does that count? The one hall we attended had very nice elders. They were more than happy to share the work, not at all chauvinistic. I had other "priviliges" as well, but I'm afraid of identifying myself if I list them.

Cellist

• lawrence
    lawrence

When I pioneered in an inner city KH, occasionally a sister would have to pick up literature and magazines at the post office, the BOE were convinced they would be stolen if left outside the KH by the postal service- who would steal that junk? Anyhow, the truly dedicated and faithful sister could go to the post office, shlep boxes of literature and postal bags of magazine rolls from the post office into the KH - what a friggin honor! One sister went ballistic about the number of boxes of literature, so they appointed a MORE FAITHFUL and dedicated sister. She was elevated to a spot at the right Hand of God for that.

Occasionally one of the pioneer sisters could open the KH for meetings, when some of us brothers would be late from window washing routes, pioneering, or picking up studies for meetings.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Making babies!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit