Former Bible Study Wants to Talk...

by tall penguin 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Okay, here's the update. I sent an email to my former Bible study after a phone conversation we had where I told her I'd disassociated myself. In the email, I included information about the shunning practice (which she had no idea about). I also gave them the link to Quotes' site.
    I just got off the phone with her husband (who's also studying) and they want me to come down to talk with them. They live 2 hours away from me. I'm heading down there on Monday and I'm terrified. I'm afraid they'll be angry with me since I was the one who originally studied with them, although they continued on studying with a couple in their new location. They've been studying for 3 years now. They're almost finished the Knowledge Book.
    I'm afraid too because I don't have anything "profound" to offer them in exchange for the jw beliefs that I now know are incorrect. The true Christian faith as I've come to understand it is a much simpler one than the jw's present. For some, it's not enough. And my fear is that it won't be enough for them to leave the wt for.
    I've only just disassociated 6 weeks ago and I'm going through my own spiritual journey as well as a major healing as my whole paradigm has shifted. And I guess I just feel rather inadequate about "anti-witnessing" at this time. I'm quite terrified. I feel like their life hangs in the balance. And it's my job to "save" them from the wt. I guess it's the same kind of "bloodguilty" type feelings I experienced as a jw and they're just transferring over to this.
    Any advice? Prayers and warm thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that this family is from China and their English is still limited. So anything I present needs to be kept simple. Also, does anyone have any of the pubs (CoC/ISoCF) in Chinese? I feel like I'm getting ready for a "return visit." Ugh!
    tp

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

Tell them why you're leaving and give scripture and grounds. And if they insist on continue, let them go.

If you get up set every time someone challenges you, let them get angry. Even Christ had enemies..ask the Apostles..fear should not be in our hearts to stand up for the real truth comes forward. And be at peace with yourself..I'm sure Christ will understand.

Never be ashamed of the truth of Christ and the Gospel.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I have a friend that faded. She said had she known that you were not allowed to question anything after you were baptized, she never would have been. During the time she studied she was told to research and make sure that what she was studying was the truth...of course she didn't have access to all the information that is out there now. I would encourage them to:

1. Research the JW's roots

2. Research the U.N. issue

3. Research the child abuse issue

4. Research the disfellowshipping issue

It would be good for you to take some of this info already printed out to show them. Then let them make up their own minds. You can feel good in the fact that you made this available to them and if they decide to go ahead they do so with this knowledge.

Swalker

• Tez
    Tez

I agree with SWALKER, you have to show them how to research and the advantage of this is that you don't have to anti witness exactly, just show them how to find the relevant information, and encourage them to do so thoroughly before they make their final decision. Its an opportunity that very few of us get, so don't be anxious just do your best. The fact they want to talk to you still shows they still have doubts anyhow, even after 3 years studying. Let us know how you get on. Will be thinking about you.

• hubert
    hubert

Look up some stories on this forum about shunning, and print out a couple.

Do they have children? Do they know if their child needs blood, they are supposed to let them die?

Bring them a copy of Crisis of Conscience, and have them read it.

Do they know that smoking is a disfellowshipping offense, but that the Watchtower Society owns tobacco stocks? (Philip Morris).

That's a few things you can think about discussing.

Good luck

Hubert

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

And even though you may not have anything to offer them to replace the "answers" that they have now, it will probably be enough for them to see that that the group they're with now is dishonest, corrupt, and criminal.

CD

• Buhdee
    Buhdee

I wouldn't rule out that they could have local Witnesses there too.

Just a thought.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Buhdee,
    Ya, I thought of that. I'm preparing myself for that. The couple that studies with them is an elder and his wife. I can't see why they'd involve themselves with an "apostate" though. I guess we'll see. I refuse to get into it with any dubs so if it gets ugly I will take my leave.
    tp

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ok 3 years studying and they still aren't baptized. I understand the language might have been an issue here but it can work on your side.

I'm afraid too because I don't have anything "profound" to offer them in exchange for the jw beliefs that I now know are incorrect. The true Christian faith as I've come to understand it is a much simpler one than the jw's present. For some, it's not enough. And my fear is that it won't be enough for them to leave the wt for.

You don't need anything "profound". Speak from your heart. That is the simplicity of it all.

I'm quite terrified. I feel like their life hangs in the balance. And it's my job to "save" them from the wt.

I can understand the fear but hang on one minute. Their lives are up to them. All you can do is in the simplest way possible provide information about why YOU no longer want to be part of the WTS.

I guess it's the same kind of "bloodguilty" type feelings I experienced as a jw and they're just transferring over to this.

Yup WTS imposed guilt is very different. At the time you studied with them you gave what at the time was "truth" as you knew it.

Now you have more information and feel responsible to share that information with them. They still get to choose for themselves - just like you did.

Print out some of the info you have found most helpful. Especially focus on issues regarding the false prophesies and that scripture that "if a person utters a prophesy and it does not come true" then they aren't a true prophet. I always forget where that is.

I think I need to tape it to the computer

• garybuss
    garybuss

I just tell my story and answer questions. If people are looking for direction to a new religion, I might not be their guy for that. I've never had anybody who's looking for honest answers unload on me. I've had Witness apologists come at me but I've got so many flips they usually get pissed off and leave . . . never to be seen again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit