Did God create Adam to Live forever??

by bboyneko 25 Replies latest jw friends

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

As a JW I was taught God created Adam to live forever, but The Genesis account seems to say otherwise:

Well first theres this weird problem, the bible says God created Man and woman on the same day, the sixth day.

Genesis 1:
    So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
    God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

But the Bible in Genesis Chapter 2 says God created only man and then later after the beasts of the field had been brought to Adam did he create a woman.

Oh well, anyway After Adam and eve eat the fruit, god sez this:

Genesis 3:
    And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever."

So God kicked adam and eve out of the garden so that they would not live forever, that means that they were not going to live forever in the first place! It never said in Genesis that God created man immortal to reside on earth forever. When and Adam and Eve ate from the tree, they didn't die like God had claimed. And if they were not going to live forever, but die of old age, then there really was no harm in eating the apple other than that god said not to. Maybe it was a test like when god tricked (lied) to Abraham to sacrifice his son to test his faith.

Also the idea of sin being inherited from Adam dosent seem to make sense in light of these scriptures:

Deuteronomy 24
    Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sin.

2 Kings 14
    Yet he did not put the sons of the assassins to death, in accordance with what is written in the Book of the Law of Moses where the LORD commanded: "Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sins."

2 Chronicles 25
    Yet he did not put their sons to death, but acted in accordance with what is written in the Law, in the Book of Moses, where the LORD commanded: "Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sins."

So each person died for their own sins, not those of their parents....and god commanded not to do so..yet strangely he does it quite alot himself:

Exodus 20
    You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me

Deuteronomy 5
    You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

???????? God is very senile isn't he?? He also punished children for the sins of their fathers during the flood and in 1 samuel chapter 15 where he commands that children and sucklings/infants be slaughtered.

Don't forget the egyptian firstborn slaughter. Was it fair for the firstborn to die because their fathers didnt heed a warning?

Sorry for all the tangents but the bible makes no sense to me anymore.

-Dan

[/quote]

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Yes

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Damnit fredhall thats not fair. I cant refute that argument without reposting my post.

• CordeDeVelour
    CordeDeVelour

Dan,

I've asked myself the same questions. But they're still without a single answer. And I don't think there is any.

The Bible makes no sense at all to me anymore either. If we go by it, God is more evil than the most evil man who ever lived on earth. And we're supposed to worship Him? Nahh..Threat of Hell/Death in oblivion or not I have a conscience, I'll pass.

Scary! lol

• logical
    logical

I asked Kes a while ago about this. It has something to do with them being able to put on their spirit bodies to enter the Garden of Eden, but their fleshly bodies were mortal. Or something. I cant remember exactly, maybe he will post...

• Kent
    Kent

This is just another example of biblical madness. The two "creation" stories in the Bible are a lot different, and as such at least one of them has to be in error (Read: a lie).

But then again, there is little or no evidence what so ever of about 90% of what's written in the "old" testament. Abraham is an imaginative figure, there was no exodus from Egypt, and so on. But it's a good story - written to try to unite a few people living up in the mountains!

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between a fool and the JW legal department is that a fool might be sympathetic ."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

adam and eve not being created to live forever on earth kinda throws a fredhall into the societies argument that god intended man to live on earth forever dosent it.

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    . If we go by it, God is more evil than the most evil man who ever lived on earth

Thats your problem....you concentrate on the negative...reflect on
    the positive qualities of God...

The God that let the Kings have concubines...............................SWEEEETTT!!!

• seven006
    seven006

Bible quote #1: Gods is love

Bible quote #2: Love is not jealous

Bible quote #3: for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God

Conclusion: It's all bullshit!

• Moxy
    Moxy

i believe if i were to argue this point, i would say that god intended to allow them to partake of the tree of life in time. i dont know if thats an official WT teaching but ive heard the speculation many times.

actually i was thinking about this too recently. always had a difficult time understand the difference between man and animals. why should death be a curse and an unnatural abomination on man and perfectly normal for animals when the two processes look so identical. seems like such an obvious thing that i would expect an explanation of it to be a bit more explicit than genesis, from which we are expected to conclude that man was created with everlasting life in view by the abscence of any mention to the contrary. and on the basis of a bunch on other inferences too i guess.

reading genesis (or the book of J) now, i dont think the author intended to convey the idea that man was created without death, but probably meant to describe the possibility of living forever, a possibility that was inevitably to be lost with such an irrascible god in charge of it.

mox

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit