Donald Duck and Jehovah (from the book "Jehovah Unmasked")

by JamesThomas 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Rex,

Believe it or not this was not meant as an insult. And since apparently it could be read that way I apologise.

When I read your last posts on this thread I felt really sad and disgusted. A youth zeal may be an excuse for this type of harshness. I suppose there are other excuses for older people. But less hope still.

Arrogance is an easy attitude when you do not talk face to face.

Indeed.

• Shakita
    Shakita

Rex,

I certainly agree that evil people need to face God's judgment. I am all for the execution of all murderers, rapists, pedophiles, mobsters, gang members, terrorists, etc. These people have made it miserable for the average person that just wants to live their lives without being terrorized by people of their ilk. I am not one of those warm, fuzzy, touchy-feely types that thinks that God should never use his power to execute the wicked.

What I object to is God killing peoples en masse because they happen to be of a particular ethnic group or because they happen to be of a particular culture or of a particular religion. I have no problem with your argument concerning the Amorites that harassed the Israelites and wouldn't let them pass by peaceably over their land. I have no problem with certain peoples being executed because they were involved with or were promoting child sacrifice or pedophilia or some other disgusting practice. The problem I have is that every last person in some of the cities that were defeated by the Israelites was executed without the benefit of a court of law that would determine the guilt or innocence of each individual. If God is a God of justice, then certainly it wouldn't be a problem for him to see to it that the evidence condemning certain people for their disgusting practices would be made publicly available.

What I am concerned about is that the God of the Old Testament is promoting genocide. Rather than go through the process of weeding out the truly guilty and punishing them appropriately, the God of the Old Testament couldn't be bothered with such a nuisance. Just kill them all and it would be so much easier for the Israelites. I am aware of the practices of the Canaanites and I agree that to just let them practice their perverted religion without taking action in some way would influence the Israelites to take up some of those practices also. Unfortunately, time and again the Israelites fell into the disgusting practice of child sacrifice and the ritualistic sex worship of males and females at the temple. I would call that legalized prostitution. I can see why a clean God would be disgusted with the Israelites mouthing that they loved God and yet showed by their actions that they were doing the complete opposite.

As to your reasoning that God decreed that some Canaanites were executed to prevent their evil influence; I see what you are saying. But there is a contradiction here. If the Israelites were to forceably take some of these Canaanite women as their wives, wouldn't they be able to influence their Israelite husbands to take up their religious practices? God doesn't seem to be consistent here. Either kill all of the Canaanites or expect that the surviving Canaanite women that become wives to the Israelite men will influence the Israelite men to take up practices that God condemns. Wouldn't it have been far more merciful for God to teach the Canaanites what he approved and what he condemned? At least, they could have made the choice whether or not to comply. I realize that that takes away ones free will, but at the very least, they may have been able to live for awhile, instead of being summarily executed.

You also made the point that God needed to protect the line that led to the Messiah. I agree. But depsite the waywardness of the Israelites that went on for centuries, the Messiah still appeared. So, in spite of the fact that the Israelites, were for the most part disobedient, the line leading to the Messiah was preserved. So, I would say that there was a minority of Israelites that stayed faithful to God and yet God preserved the line leading to the Messiah.

As for our modern day, JW's expect that God will return and execute all those that reject the Messiah and all those that are living alife of wickedness in defiance of God's laws. Again, I say, did God create us just to destroy us? Can't he come up with another solution rather than destroying practically every human on this planet at Armageddon? I personally do not believe that God will take this drastic action. Consider.

Where you happen to be born is nothing more than the lottery of birth. No one can pick and choose their parents or the place or the culture or the reliogion or the nation that they are born into. So, let me get this straight. God will destroy every person not a baptized Witness, unless they are the minor children of baptized Witness parents. How is that fair? God will destroy every last Muslim because they aren't Christians. God will destroy every last Hindu and Buddhist and Shintoist and every person that claims that they are Christian but they are really not because they haven't attached themselves to the Faithful and Discreet Slave. Shouldn't God be looking at the inside of a person and not the externals to determine the goodness or evil that exists within a person? For God to destroy every last one of the groups that I mentioned just because they belong to those groups would be a worse form of genocide than Adolph Hitler ever dreamed up in that psychotic, evil head of his.

Consider Rex that there is more than one way to look at this issue. If God truly loves mankind then he will destroy those that really are evil and save those that are just trying their best to live and do the best they can in this world. Destroying people en masse because they belong to a particular religion and not the "right one" would be more evil than something Hitler and his henchmen could ever have dreamed up.

Mr. Shakita

• Shining One
    Shining One

Mr. Shakita,
    I am not a JW anymore, have not been for almost six years.

Narkissos,
    I hold nothing against you. I am passionate about the Lord my God because of the amazing grace that He has shown me. In fact I hold nothing against anyone here because it all boils down to the fact that 'flseh and blood' is not the enemy. The enemy resides unseen in 'high places' and is the cause of much of the turmoil and all of the false teachings throughout all ages.
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

Mr. Shakita,
    >So, let me get this straight. God will destroy every person not a baptized Witness, unless they are the minor children of baptized Witness parents. How is that fair? God will destroy every last Muslim because they aren't Christians. God will destroy every last Hindu and Buddhist and Shintoist and every person that claims that they are Christian but they are really not because they haven't attached themselves to the Faithful and Discreet Slave. Shouldn't God be looking at the inside of a person and not the externals to determine the goodness or evil that exists within a person? For God to destroy every last one of the groups that I mentioned just because they belong to those groups would be a worse form of genocide than Adolph Hitler ever dreamed up in that psychotic, evil head of his.
    Eliminate the cult references and this is what we have to go on: What do the scriptures teach, Old and New Testaments, concerning the way to salvation? If we are to be intellectually honest then we will say that Jesus words in John 14:6 are appropriate, "I Am the way, the truth and the life. No one gets to the Father except through me." In context this means exactly what it says.
    Jesus taught that we must be 'born again' even to see the Kingdom of God. God doesn't destroy groups or individuals. He separates them; those who would believe are predestined to do so yet have the free will to exercise a choice; Those who prefer to remain separated from God will get their wish. There is an abode that they will gain entrance to for an eternity. We are all immortal souls having a human experience. Which section do you want, 'smoking or non-smoking'?
    We are assured by Paul's reasoning in Romans 1 that all (no matter where they reside) who first recognize the creation, then that there is a creator, then that their is a savior will find Him. Those who do not will not. The mystery of how this is accomplished in full is just that. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that all who believe in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." I believe that promise and I have seen that prayer being answered, both here and abroad.
    Rex

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Insults are not at all necessary. I am not going to change my tune to seek your, or anyone else's approval.

When you die, you're going to find out God is a lot more loving than you ever dreamt, certainly more so than fundy religionists teach. It's a win win situation. You win, God wins and all of us who are trying to tell you that God is not a bloodthirsty god will win.

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hi Flyinghigh,
    I didn't describe God as 'bloodthirsty', I leave that to the unbelievers. I will no doubt be amazed at who I find in glory and I pray it is everyone that I have come in contact with.
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit