WBTS Loses Recent 2005 Federal District Court Case In Puerto Rico

by West70 25 Replies latest jw friends

• West70
    West70

Has this 2005 Federal Court Decision been previously posted?

Jehovah's Witnesses Lose Facial Challenge To Puerto Rico Controlled Access Law

In an opinion that has recently become available, the federal district court in Puerto Rico last month rejected a facial constitutional attack by Jehovah's Witnesses to the Commonwealth's Controlled Access Law. In Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York v. Ramos, 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 20652 (USDC PR, Aug. 9, 2005), the law that permits residential associations to close off neighborhoods in order to prevent crime was upheld against a series of First Amendment claims. Jehovah's Witnesses believe that they have a Bible-based duty to tell others about the contents of the Bible, and do this by going door-to-door in residential neighborhoods. The court rejected plaintiffs' facial challenge that claimed the law violated their speech, press, associational and religious exercise rights, as well as Fourth Amendment and right to travel claims. However, the court allowed plaintiffs' to present further evidence on their claims that the law was unconstitutional "as applied" to them.

http://religionclause.blogspot.com/2005/09/jehovahs-witnesses-lose-facial.html

• sf
    sf

However, the court allowed plaintiffs' to present further evidence on their claims that the law was unconstitutional "as applied" to them.

But, but WE ARE NO PART OF THIS WICKED [SYSTEM] of Things!!

LOLOL!! The WTBTS boo hoo sessions crack me up.

sKally

• Legolas
    Legolas

Thanks for the post!

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

in high school i remember talks where the brothers would say " the wtbs always ALWAYS wins lawsuits, that is another reason we KNOW jehovah backs us"

hmmm.. wonder if jehovah has turned his back on the society now?

• Jourles
    Jourles

Let me guess. The Holy Spirit() was on vacation when this decision was handed down.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

alt NYAH NYAH!!!

luv, jojo

• Scully
    Scully
    in high school i remember talks where the brothers would say " the wtbs always ALWAYS wins lawsuits, that is another reason we KNOW jehovah backs us"

More to the point, is that the WTS ALWAYS PUBLICIZES the lawsuits they win. The ones they lose, they conveniently never discuss. This is why the average JW has the impression that the WTS "always wins lawsuits".... they just do not know about the ones that the WTS loses.

That actually might be a very interesting dossier to compile: Lawsuits the Watchtower Society has LOST. There would be public records to reference as substantiation of these legal defeats too.

• West70
    West70

Before I leave ...

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Amen! and Resplendant!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

But, you know, even when they win, they are still regarded as asses. Three years ago they took a case to the US supreme court and won. In the ruling, one of the dissenting judges, Antonin Scalia, noted:

"If our free-speech jurisprudence is to be determined by the predicted behavior of such crackpots, we are in a sorry state indeed."

In this Puerto Rican case, it's nice to see that neighborhoods still have some rights, rather than granting all the rights to the crackpots.

If anyone wants, I have the whole article from the Wall Street Journal where the above quote was found.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit