Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of bible?!

by daystar 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daystar
    daystar

The Gift of Scripture

"The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible."

"But the first 11 chapters of Genesis, in which two different and at times conflicting stories of creation are told, are among those that this country’s Catholic bishops insist cannot be “historical”. At most, they say, they may contain “historical traces”. "

"The Bible is true in passages relating to human salvation, they say, but continue: “We should not expect total accuracy from the Bible in other, secular matters.” "

"Similarly, they refute the apocalyptic prophecies of Revelation, the last book of the Christian Bible, in which the writer describes the work of the risen Jesus, the death of the Beast and the wedding feast of Christ the Lamb.

The bishops say: “Such symbolic language must be respected for what it is, and is not to be interpreted literally. We should not expect to discover in this book details about the end of the world, about how many will be saved and about when the end will come.” "

Full article here from Times Online.

Interesting...

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I put this up a couple of days ago, nobody but me and Ackack seemed to find it too interesting, oh and Rex did comment on it.

• defd
    defd

How different there view is of Gods word than that of Jesus. John 17:17 "Your word is truth...........

But what else can you expect from Satan, Gods Enemy!

• daystar
    daystar
    I put this up a couple of days ago...

Sorry. I obviously missed it.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Not a surprise. All Christian religions rationalize passages in the Bible to make it less hysterically funny. At least the Catholics can accept evolution as a fact. LOL..

GBL

• defd
    defd

At least the Catholics can accept evolution as a fact. LOL..

Now that is funny!

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

No problem Day, I'd love to see some discussion on it.

Derrick, I don't think Jesus was referring to the Bible per se as it hadn't been put in the hotel rooms by the Gideons quite yet.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Defd, as my wife loves to say, we'll see where the JW's are in a couple of thousand years.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

It's been 62 years that the Catholic church officially allows for critical study of the Bible (Encyclic Divino Afflante Spiritu, 1943), which first of all involves determining literary genres (calling a tale a tale, for instance). Hardly a news. But the shocked surprise that such a press release still raises shows that there is a long way from the official stance to the average reader's mind.

• kristyann
    kristyann

Well, I agree with the part about Revelation... I don't think that by reading that book, you can determine how many people will be saved or when this will happen. I believe in the Bible (though not the Apocrypha from the Catholic Bible), but I don't think that everything in it can be taken literally...

From what I have studied about evolution, it's not been proved and there are actually quite a few problems with parts of the theory... obviously I accept that certain things may evolve over time (such as skin color, eye shape, etc, due to climate and such)... but I find it hard to believe that life spontaneously came from non-life... chemicals, or a "warm little pond."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit