And the Word was with God

by Narkissos 70 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Ross

Unless you are breaking down the concept of language to the very building blocks of symbol - surely language has more structure than that.

I guess that's what I am doing, following the Lacanian paradigm (the unconscious is structured like a language) rather than the Jungian one (pre-verbal archetypes). It seems to me that a symbol, however graphic (or iconic?), is already an imaginary reflection of things on the surface of at least potential language -- it presupposes our basic (and linguistic) ability to name things.

But I can see the merits of the opposite stance, which is quite consistent with your view of the basic antagonism as being male / female, God / ruach or sophia. Interestingly in several Gnostic texts a very similar approach is found: the logos appears only at a later/lower stage in the chain of emanations from the originally unseparated Father-Mother which stands (or lies) beyond language. It also reminds me of Tillich's definition of God as the Ground of Being, which might be identified to the Ground of Language too. This would leave room for a hope of reconciliation of words and things in some original/ultimate realm. Perhaps this is true, but to us speaking subjects it can hardly escape the suspicion of wishful thinking. Does mystical experience really clear this suspicion away?

You would need to define "reality" for me. If you mean that which is subjectively realised, rather than that which is objective, I can follow that. To a degree I can also follow the idea of a creative Logos, in this context, though the concept of "eternity" complicates it. We can contain this in "time", if you wish, to simplify it.

Again, I was using "reality" in a Lacanian way: not the unspeakable "real," which only reaches the subject punctually (in pain, for instance) but its imaginary projection as worked by a speaking subject (or rather a network of speaking subjects -- a culture). And yes I am wary about the concept of timeless eternity just as I am about the idea of supra-linguistic vision (theoria): they are both very attractive to me but as a delusive temptation, to which I find myself resisting, as a desperate modern Westerner. Lack of faith perhaps? Or healthy reluctance to potential idolatry?

I think I see your perspective, and yet looking at Logos from a vantage point of merely "being" is quite different from being active as a creative principle oneself. I would liken it to the stage of Wu Chi moving into Tai Chi in Taoism. This might be likened to the "Spirit" that gives birth to Logos in eternity.

This sounds interesting. Could you elaborate?

bebu,

The word antagonism conjures up 'conflict', but I don't think this is actually the best word for differences.

In French we use antagonisme ("struggling/working against") in a slightly different way perhaps. For instance, in anatomy we would describe the thumb in the human hand as antagonistic to the other fingers: because they work/move the opposite way we can catch things. The way Luther spoke of the "right hand" and "left hand" of God, referring to salvation and judgement, or providential weal and woe, is similar.

Rambling as it may sound, I think this discussion helps me to understand better where, why and how I tend to differ from both of you -- without any conviction of being right, perhaps just with some obscure faith that my own way of being wrong needs to be expressed too.

Thank you for that.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    We may be bringing forth a reality then, like a creator-god, of sorts.

We?

Well if we're talking about the good bits of reality, I don't mind letting others take some of the credit. I sure don't want to take all the blame though, for the mucked up bits of reality.

Materially speaking, "thoughts" and "intentions" can, in a way, be seen as creative forces in us. They are apparently shaping and influencing one's brain (and so one's mind and "being") continually. There's alot of good evidence that shows how neural pathways can be changed and sculpted by our thoughts. Logos then, as reason, can enhance/elaborate thoughts and thereby impact the mind that is created and recreated. The kinds of "intentions" and "thoughts" of these people in turn shape and affect social and physical realities. I think thats a very old way of seeing how Logos created the world.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

A belated welcome to you, M*A*S*H.

So my real question is, hands up if you believe the Bible is actually inspired and if so, how important an exact understanding of the bible line by line is in your belief system?

<raising hand>I do believe the Bible is inspired, at least in places. This is a new perception for me, so new that it actually surprises me to write that. I don't believe it is inerrant or that other books are not inspired. In fact, I don't believe that scripture is confined to overtly religious writings. As I wrote (elsewhere) a few years back:

Much of the world's true scripture is cleverly disguised as plays, poetry, stories, philosophy, songs and scientific papers. True scripture is scattered throughout the entire body of the world's literature and art.

When I run across a verse of it, it raises an answering shout in the heart; I see a shower of gold, hear cymbals clashing, feel a new path opening for me to walk on -- my life is changed forever even if I forget the words (or tune) of the verse. True scripture consists of those ideas, however expressed, which do not "return empty" -- because they CAN'T.

I don't often participate in deep academic theology threads like this, because I don't have the chops; but I am beginning to find them more valuable than I used to.

I'm not even sure a definitive, incontrovertible line-by-line understanding of the Bible is even possible. To an extent –

Myself when young did eagerly frequent
    Doctor and Saint, and heard great Argument
    About it and about; but evermore
    Came out by the same Door as in I Went.

Thanks for cogitating, everybody! <sly wink at Narkissos>

gently feral

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

GF:You've surprised me, writing that, too

What a beautiful post!

Midget:I concur, especially with the bit about mutual responsibility. As shards of the Divine, having responsibility for our actions and intents, shared Lordship over our own domain, and the ability to do almost anything we can conceive of, I often think we need to look at the number of fingers pointing back at ourselves when we attempt to point a finger of blame at our deity of choice.

Didier:
    Sorry about the belayed answer. I've been busy bumping conspiracy theorists' heads and living real life

I tend to think of concepts in a more Jungian way, but your thoughts on a Lacanian paradigm for sub-conscious thought interests me. Which model do you think best represents dreams?

Are we actually able to "name" things before we've considered them and perhaps turned the crystal to observe it's facets? I suspect that before we apply conscious thought to them, they remain mere symbols, albeit the sub-conscious can do remarkable things with such symbols especially if it has trodden that path before.

I like your comments on antagonism (especially in regard to your elaboration for Bebu). The Gnostic and Kaballistic view that you present is also found in Taoism, which I hope to elaborate on in a moment.

You question the ability of mystical experience to give hope for the reconcilliation of words and things. If we were to take it in isolation I would agree with you. However surely all experience, be it of the five senses, the use of logic and reason, by intuition, or mystical revelation, plays a part in the manner in which we interpret? By stopping the process do we perhaps have an opportunity to re-examine the flow of information, instead of merely being washed down the stream with it, along well worn water-courses?

I think we're on the same page with regards to our definition of that which is "realised", and am happy to set aside eternity, theoria and even theosis, for the time being

And now a brierf elaboration on the subject of Taoism - please forgive me if I repeat that which is already known:

The Genesis concept of Taoism is that :

• Wu Chi is void - pure potentiality.
    • Tai Chi is reality - the result of Wu Chi expressing itself in existence.
    • Wu Chi gives birth to all, creating a universal Oneness (Tao), that is filled with (or is) the combinations of Yin/Yang energies, swirling in a maelstrom of activity, mixing, merging, producing.

Hope that helps some

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Narkissos,

French translations often use the feminine "elle -> la Parole";

Oh, my, now that's an entirely different word-cloud, isn't it? Parole vs. mot - for parole includes "promise", as distinct from mot which is all about speech – right?

I don't really believe in "God" in the common theistic sense.

Do you believe in it in some other, uncommon sense then? A sort of cautious animism, or panentheism, maybe? (I'm taking my cue from Marcus Borg when I bring in panentheism.)

Classical trinitarian theology distinguishes between ontological Trinity (Father, Son & Holy Spirit) and economical Trinty (Father, the God-Man Jesus and Holy Spirit in believers).

Oh my. I've never heard the phrase "economical Trinity" before, but the way you define it is extremely liberating. And it just puts an intellectual imprimatur nihil obstat on the places my experience has been leading me over the past couple of years.

gently feral

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Narkissos,

Someone offers an idea, and whoever feels like it modifies it after its own mind/soul; the first or a third one catches it where it has stopped and pushes it a bit further. Nobody is expected to elaborate on his/her posts. Anybody can develop another's idea. Ambiguity and clarity are equally welcome. An open model of conversation (broken line in a space or irregular spiral) rather than a closed one

Now, Joan Borysenko would say that's a very feminine way of doing theology ;)

gently feral

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

GF,

I'm so glad you came here.

Much of the world's true scripture is cleverly disguised as plays, poetry, stories, philosophy, songs and scientific papers. True scripture is scattered throughout the entire body of the world's literature and art.

When I run across a verse of it, it raises an answering shout in the heart; I see a shower of gold, hear cymbals clashing, feel a new path opening for me to walk on -- my life is changed forever even if I forget the words (or tune) of the verse. True scripture consists of those ideas, however expressed, which do not "return empty" -- because they CAN'T.

A distinct shudder in my spine. Slowing down my pace as I walk. Lightening my eyes and elating my heart. Freude à la Bach.

You've so perfectly defined and expressed the only meaning I can give to authority of scripture.

French translations often use the feminine "elle -> la Parole";
    Oh, my, now that's an entirely different word-cloud, isn't it? Parole vs. mot - for parole includes "promise", as distinct from mot which is all about speech – right?

Old French translations used the technical term le Verbe (masculine as the Greek logos), which is a convenient calque of the Latin verbum (neuter). Of course you're right about the broader scope of parole (including promise indeed: tenir sa parole = keep one's word). However both are about speech ultimately, and both logos and verbum can mean either parole or mot. There is something deep in the humble mot too. Le mot juste ("the right word") has much to do with the authority of scripture which I was referring to, I guess.

I don't really believe in "God" in the common theistic sense.
    Do you believe in it in some other, uncommon sense then? A sort of cautious animism, or panentheism, maybe? (I'm taking my cue from Marcus Borg when I bring in panentheism.)

I would like to refer to "God" in a metaphorical sense (much like modern literature refers to the long-dead gods of polytheism -- meaning what Zeus, Aphrodites, Apollo or Dionysos stand for). However this is impossible in a discussion with hardcore believers who hold that "God" is not a metaphor. In such a context I have come to feel it is more honest to introduce myself as a religious atheist -- an atheist who is still very much interested in "God" (most often that's puzzling enough).

I have been very much attracted to animism and panentheism (especially by Paul Tillich's definition of the latter), provided they are not reduced to nature (as in vitalism) but encompass culture and deal with the radical antagonism which I feel symbolism, or language, introduces into the structure of human reality. This is exactly what I was trying to express in my first post. The Word who was "God" was also with "God" -- there is a basic difference there. "God" may be the Father of beings and the Father of words, the Ground of being (another expression from Tillich) and the Ground of language, but in a very different way inasmuch as words are not reducible to a category of being (or, semantics are not reducible to ontology). The Lacanian "symbolical cut" cuts through "God" it/him-self.

Classical trinitarian theology distinguishes between ontological Trinity (Father, Son & Holy Spirit) and economical Trinty (Father, the God-Man Jesus and Holy Spirit in believers).
    Oh my. I've never heard the phrase "economical Trinity" before, but the way you define it is extremely liberating. And it just puts an intellectual imprimatur nihil obstat on the places my experience has been leading me over the past couple of years.

The nihil obstat here comes from Karl Barth: identifying the two "trinities" instead of separating them as classical orthodoxy used to do is perhaps the epistemological center (or trick, according to his orthodox adversaries) of his deeply inspiring christocentrical Dogmatik. I came across his short treaty The Humanity of God (a late reflection on his work) shortly before entering the theological college and it helped me survive it. I had found how traditional theology could be meaningful to me, at least to an extent.

Someone offers an idea, and whoever feels like it modifies it after its own mind/soul; the first or a third one catches it where it has stopped and pushes it a bit further. Nobody is expected to elaborate on his/her posts. Anybody can develop another's idea. Ambiguity and clarity are equally welcome. An open model of conversation (broken line in a space or irregular spiral) rather than a closed one
    Now, Joan Borysenko would say that's a very feminine way of doing theology ;)

Interesting. I had not heard of Joan Borysenko, but when I wrote those lines I was distinctly thinking of the kind of conversation (so different from Platonic dialectics) which led me out of the WT: my main interlocutor then was a "sister" right in Bethel, and she helped me start thinking differently -- she is still a JW btw.

Ross,

I tend to think of concepts in a more Jungian way, but your thoughts on a Lacanian paradigm for sub-conscious thought interests me. ; Which model do you think best represents dreams?

Of course each "school" would claim it does!

The Lacanian structuralist paradigm may appear somewhat counter-intuitive as to the expression of dreams: images are not just images but point to words and puns -- this is already apparent in Freud's approach of dreams. And to an extent it seems to work.

Are we actually able to "name" things before we've considered them and perhaps turned the crystal to observe it's facets? ; I suspect that before we apply conscious thought to them, they remain mere symbols, albeit the sub-conscious can do remarkable things with such symbols especially if it has trodden that path before.

It seems to me that, from infancy, "things" always occur to us together with "names". What we don't "name" we don't "see," i.e. identify as separate objects. Moreover, to consider a "thing" as a "symbol" seems to imply a linguistical pattern of meaning, by which the "thing" (a smile, for instance) is deemed as a signifier -- the exact definition of a "word". A green light only means "go" to somebody who is basically able to understand the sound "go" as meaning "go" too. It then can work translinguistically (I could understand a green light in Beijing even though I do not speak Chinese), but that doesn't make it pre-linguistic. Maybe Pavlov's dog could be brought in as a counter-example, but I'm not even sure this would be correct. The connection of cause and consequence (e.g. reward and punishment) is not exactly symbolism. At the very least language comes so early to a human mind that it is very difficult to define a non-linguistical relationship to "things".

You question the ability of mystical experience to give hope for the reconcilliation of words and thing; If we were to take it in isolation I would agree with you; However surely all experience, be it of the five senses, the use of logic and reason, by intuition, or mystical revelation, plays a part in the manner in which we interpret? By stopping the process do we perhaps have an opportunity to re-examine the flow of information, instead of merely being washed down the stream with it, along well worn water-courses?

In the Lacanian paradigm, the real (symptom or pain, for instance) does interact with the symbolic and imaginary -- provided we (subjects) accept to voice it (symbolically) and let the subsequent dissonance modify our representation of reality (imaginary).

Every stop of the course eventually develops into a (n only relatively new) dis-course ( back atcha).

The Genesis concept of Taoism is that :

• Wu Chi is void - pure potentiality.
    • Tai Chi is reality - the result of Wu Chi expressing itself in existence.
    • Wu Chi gives birth to all, creating a universal Oneness (Tao), that is filled with (or is) the combinations of Yin/Yang energies, swirling in a maelstrom of activity, mixing, merging, producing.

Hope that helps some

It sure helps, thank you. I have enjoyed some Taoist writings (Lao Tsu, Chuang Tsu) -- in translation, of course -- but have not read any synthetical exposition (or long ago and I don't remember)...

A possible way to push the reflection further: we speak (and write, or draw) to fill a lack in being -- the memory of the missing being who was and isn't there, the desire of what is not yet or will never be... In that way too word and being would be related, though "antagonistically".

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Yee haw, Narkissos! (I think "yee haw" is Texan for a particularly fervent and gleeful triumphant "Ohhhh, la la!" But I'm from California, so I may be wrong.) But anyway:

I would like to refer to "God" in a metaphorical sense (much like modern literature refers to the long-dead gods of polytheism -- meaning what Zeus, Aphrodites, Apollo or Dionysos stand for). However this is impossible in a discussion with hardcore believers who hold that "God" is not a metaphor.
    An American occultist, Francesca de Grandis, writes "The gods personify nature in the same way we do" – as distinct, self-aware personalities. Call them "self-aware metaphors," if you like. It might make an interesting experiment. Besides, it's easier to get "push their buttons" that way.

But then, I've had imaginary friendships since childhood. A valuable social skill for the spiritual adventurer /:)

the kind of conversation (so different from Platonic dialectics) which led me out of the WT: my main interlocutor then was a "sister" right in Bethel, and she helped me start thinking differently -- she is still a JW btw.
    Yeah, anyone who could think like this – sort of carving radish roses with Occam's razor – could function anywhere, I think.

It seems to me that, from infancy, "things" always occur to us together with "names". What we don't "name" we don't "see," i.e. identify as separate objects.
    Reminds me of something I read a few weeks ago, an American book called The Scientist in the Crib : What Early Learning Tells Us About the Mind.
    we speak (and write, or draw) to fill a lack in being -- the memory of the missing being who was and isn't there, the desire of what is not yet or will never be...
    Oooooo, pretty...

gently feral

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    "The gods personify nature in the same way we do"

Regardless of the author's intent this is a wonderfully ambiguous sentence.

One you might construe as "the gods really exist as personal, self-aware, expressions of nature like we do".

One I could interpret as "the gods as fictional characters are literary expressions of nature just as the grammatical and imaginary 'persons' we build our biological selves into".

For the magic (whether religious or literary) to work, maybe the reader/hearer has to suspend his/her judgement and remain in the space of undecision between those two overly explicit interpretations?

carving radish roses with Occam's razor

Some things are just too essential to be taken seriously. What most matters often comes to us like a game, or a dream...

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    ... [Y]ou might construe [this] as "the gods really exist as personal, self-aware, expressions of nature like we do".

... I could interpret [this] as "the gods as fictional characters are literary expressions of nature just as the grammatical and imaginary 'persons' we build our biological selves into".

For the magic (whether religious or literary) to work, maybe the reader/hearer has to suspend his/her judgement and remain in the space of undecision between those two overly explicit interpretations?

Yes, I think so; to keep both the magician and his alleged invisible friends honest! (My conjure teacher describes this state of mind as "sliding between the molecules and calling your allies to you." At least I think it's a state of mind that she's describing... )

carving radish roses with Occam's razor

Some things are just too essential to be taken seriously. What most matters often comes to us like a game, or a dream...

Well, you can take things almighty seriously without being too damn literal about them.

On second thought, maybe you're right: maybe a nonliteralist mind-set is insufficiently elastic for miracles (even just cognitive ones) to happen. For I do believe the Word of the Lord is "What happens when I do this?"
    Just a little more cognitive dissonance to brighten everybody's day...
    gentlyferal edited to add:
    ... I could interpret [this] as "the gods as fictional characters are literary expressions of nature just as the grammatical and imaginary 'persons' we build our biological selves into".

Yes, on further reflection I prefer this version. Being more elaborate, it gives the souls involved more toys to play with. It also makes humans almost as imaginary as gods are, which makes situations more malleable. Thanks again!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit