Tropical Storm Tammy (We're Running Out Of Names For Cyclones!)

by ColdRedRain 15 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Atlantic_hurricane_season

Only 2 more names to go until we use Greek letters for hurricane names. Scary.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

CRR, I don't know how Floridians have survived so long with all that stormy weather and flooding you KNOW they hafta endure every hurricane season.

Frannie

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

So I guess there'll never be a Hurricane Xavier or Hurricane Yolanda?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

So, only Vince and Wilma are left. What's wrong with Ursula, Yolanda, Xena, and Zelda? There must be more names. I smell a coverup. Someone is withholding names.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

They can't use those names because there aren't enough names starting with U, X, Y or Z. There's no coverup, if anything, the government is probably preparing us for the days where 26-storm hurricane seasons would be upon us. Look out for Hurricane Alpha!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah, but who wants a dozen Hurricane Alphas? Would get confusing after a while.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

We've had 5 Hurricane or Tropical Storm Ana's, and we'll have another Tropical Storm/Hurricane Ana in 2009. Hurricanes sharing common names aren't that rare.

Also, theoretically, there can be infinate Hurricane Alphas, but it's rare for there to be more than 10 storms in a season. There will be most likley only one or 2 "Hurricane Alphas" in a century. To put how rare it is to have a "Hurricane Alpha", the name "Lee" (Guess why I chose that name for an example;P) for a cyclone would have been either unheard of or be seen as a late November storm 15 years ago. It was a minimal tropical storm in August, with all of its energy and flow being influenced by Katrina. So we won't need to have to worry about another Hurricane/TS Alpha. Hell, we might not even have to worry about a Hurricane or Tropical Storm Alpha this year.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    There will be most likley only one or 2 "Hurricane Alphas" in a century. There will be most likley only one or 2 "Hurricane Alphas" in a century.

Right, so if they are so rare, then why not use a letter like "Y" which has fewer names overall but is still appropriate for the rarity of the storm. Seems to make more sense than having to drag in Greek letters at that point.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

The NHC actually does use Y names for hurricanes in the Eastern North Pacific, but it's just not done for both regions because of the rarity of Y names. There aren't enough Y names to service both coasts and in extremely rare cases, the South Atlantic.

• Scully
    Scully

I suppose they could always go

Hurricane Alpha-1-2005 and if they had to go through another name cycle they could use

Hurricane Alpha-2-2005

Hopefully this year is an anomaly for hurricane activity. People have had more than enough trauma from extreme weather.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit