Moral Poverty Costs New Orleans

by Frannie Banannie 46 Replies latest social current

• horrible life
    horrible life
    The official NO evacuation plan was "everyone will drive out of here

I have just spent the last hour looking for the thread, the long thread, of the New Orleans disaster policy. Someone who posted on it, please help. I read most of it. I remember thinking that if only they had followed their own policy, nobody would have died.

Thanks HL

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    The mayor should have done more to get people out of there, period. I strongly believe that responsibility rested on his shoulders, not Bush's not anyone else's.

I agree, Soledad. That big parking lot of 200 buses just sitting there useless during the flooding does a lot of damage to his credibility, dudnit?

Frannie

• happyout
    happyout

"it was primarily immoral, welfare-pampered blacks that stayed behind and waited for the government to bail them out"

This kind of blanket statement simply shows the ignorance and bias of the person speaking.

How he makes the judgment that these people were “immoral” is beyond me. The facts prove that it was a small minority of people committing lawless acts like rape, theft, and murder. The stories were completely blown out of proportion, and it this gentleman had bothered checking his facts before going off on this diatribe, he might have known that.

And, since the majority of this city (40%) were living below the poverty level, I sincerely doubt they were “pampered”.

"city's emergency-response plan, which acknowledged that thousands of the city's poorest residents would have no way to evacuate the city."

Well, you can’t have it both ways. Did they have no way to evacuate, or were they just immoral and welfare pampered? The facts show that most of the people who stayed not only had nowhere else to go, but no way to get there.

"I stated that if whites were to just leave the

To insinuate that an entire race of people would behave the same way as one small group is stupid, ignorant, racist (against any race you’re talking about) and should not have been worthy of ink.

I live in a middle income, majority black neighborhood (although the city itself is very diverse) and the crime rate is low, people are neighborly, and we are all concerned with maintaining a safe place for our children to grow up. The crime rates are high within most poor communities, regardless of race. Economics is usually the deciding factor, not skin color.

"rampant immorality of blacks"

HOW CAN ANYONE REASONABLY MAKE THIS STATEMENT???!!!

"All Americans must tell blacks this truth."

We have been told your truth for years. It’s part of the reason some are hopeless, and feel they are nothing. All Americans should tell EVERYONE the truth, poverty breeds crime, and the disparity in educational opportunities for the poor (regardless of their race) will continue to create areas of high crime and lawlessness

To applaud this type of biased material is sad. A few weeks ago someone on the board asked if people thought most blacks thought whites were racist. Well, I don’t pretend to speak for “most blacks”, but seeing someone admire these types of views, and others join in should surely help to explain why SOME blacks think all whites are prejudiced.

Happyout ( really not happy right now)

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

((((((Happyout)))))) What more can I say?

Josie

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I have to agree with happyout on this one. The blanket statements are alarming and ridiculous. I'm neither black, nor poverty stricken and I find these type of generalizations maddening. I don't think Jesse Jackson is the end all be all, by any stretch of the imagination, but this is the opposite extreme. Both do more damage than good.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Well, I'm glad to see it's at least stirring some interest enough to get some comments. We've been having a very lively discussion about the differing viewpoints of Peterson and Jackson on an xdub online email group list to which I also belong. Mainly, we've been discussing what the real problems are that caused the NOLA situation (btw, Beaumont, Tx, is under martial law right now due Katrina's damage allowing for the SAME problems as NO) AND what it could possibly take to resolve those problems. The women on the group have known each other for about 5 yrs and we're comfortable with speaking our minds on such touchy topics as this.

I'd like to share some of our comments, (anonymously, of course) if yall don't mind.

Frannie

• happyout
    happyout

Frannie,

I don't mind at all if you share my comments. I am not so sensitive that I can't recognize that there were definitely issues, and that some of the people in NO used the situation for their own nefarious ends. I just really hate the over-generalizations and the demeaning of an entire culture.

Jesse, Al, Peterson etc - none of these people were "elected" by blacks to speak on our behalf. I think most of them are total idiots, and they embarras the hell out of me and a lot of other black people that I know. In my opinion, it's mostly the media that gives these people a soap box.

Have a great day, everyone, and thanks Billygoat and Josie for the supportive comments.

Smooches,

Happyout

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Happyout, the opening post on this topic, including the first question before the article begins was sent to me in an email. I am sometimes, admittedly, a shit-stirrer and I thought I'd see if JWD posters are as open to discuss such touchy topics as racism and the welfare state, without the menz gettin' all testosterone-charged in a pissin' contest.

I appreciate your letting me use your comments (anonymously) for our xdub group's perusal and commentary, but I'd also like to share (also, anonymously) some of what we've already discussed in the email list group on this subject with JWD posters here on this thread.

If yall don't object.

Frannie

• happyout
    happyout

That's cool, feel free to PM me if you think it's too volatile for public consumption

I'm logging off for the day, so don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't respond to further messages.

Happyout

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    That's cool, feel free to PM me if you think it's too volatile for public consumption ;

I'm logging off for the day, so don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't respond to further messages.

Great! It really isn't too volatile and may spark some interesting comments from other posters here, Happyout.

That's okay, if you don't get back to this right away. It's gonna take a while to C&P the comments from the various group posts.

Hugs,

Frannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit