Were there any unofficial predictions in your congregations?

by badboy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I remember 1984 being THE date that ppl were talking about. I half-seriously thought I wouldn't get to finish my first year of high school.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

heathen,

I thought all religions were talking 1999 new years eve not just the j-dubs .

Hello?

The Lutherans, the Jews, the Unitarians, the Quakers...? Hell, the Southern Baptists, the Methodists, the Presbyterians?

Maybe some of the fringe fundy churches and the more "out there" evangelists...but not the mainstream churches.

Or do those not qualify as "religions," somehow?

GentlyFeral

• aniron
    aniron

I was married in 1974 ... was told by a few that meant our married life would start in the New System the following year.

First child born September 1975 ... Told he would not be going to school end will be here before then. Goes to school 1980.

Told he will not finish school end will be here ..... finishes school 1996.

He was told it better to pioneer, rather than a career as end will be here soon. Goes and finds himself good job instead.

He leaves JW's 2000 ..... got married this year now 30 yrs old.

Still being told by his mother that end is near.

• badboy
    badboy

ANY MORE FOR ANY MORE!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Well... I don't know if this qualifies as a 'prediction' or not...

As a youngster, I remember that the powers-that-be decided they needed to renovate the kingdom hall.

They got estimates, got financing, etc. They did the renovations, and the loan they got was for some enormous amount. They were proud of themselves... very clever at financing terms... they got low monthly payments, with a balloon note due in late 1975. That was in the late 60's. There were a lot of 'knowing' snickers in the audience - as most folks believed that 1975 was going to be 'the end'.

I also remember some pale-faced elder announcing from the platform - in late 1975 - that they had re-financed the note - to more reasonable payments... for another few years.

Regards,

Jim-TX

• Ellie
    Ellie

Yeah, everyone predicted that I'd be baptized and be a pioneer by 2000, they were wrong

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I heard of an elder who had claimed that "Jehovah will not allow this wicked nation to celebrate its 200th birthday", (apparantly sometime before 1976). Also, heard of many who had believed that 1984 would be the end, as "the kingdom was established in 1914", plus 70 years for 'this generation' to live. My ex-landlord, a long-time witness (for at least 50 years), visited me in 1999, asking what I thought about approaching Y2K, apparantly thinking that I would attach some significance to the date. I held up my thumb and forefinger to make a "zero", and said "THATS what will happen to this system of things in 2000".

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

I was told as a little girl costantly: You will not grow old in this old system. How cruel! Its like suddenly telling your child there is no Santa Claus!

But I don't want to wrinkle!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit