Dear Apostates

by wanderlustguy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Well well well, kicking the puppy was fun. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, it is bashing and bitching about the Org, which I was happy to do. Also with it I found an intense sense of a need to help, and to get involved. Involved in “saving” my brother, which I still hope to do, as well as get involved making the forum(s) better.

Now I feel some things that are new. I am beginning to feel at peace with myself and what I came from, as well as where I am going. Maybe all of the sudden the saying that has come to mind so often before is even clearer now. “None of us are as great as all of us”. Even those who claim to be strong and independent and need nothing or no one (yes on these very forums) daily affirm the fact they DO need these places. Even if for the purpose of helping others, there is a need served by these places every time we view them.

Take the “board wars”, of all the fights to have, people choose to have one amongst kindred spirits. At first I was frustrated and couldn’t understand how people with so much in common could have such bitterness between them over things that really don’t mean squat in real life. Then it hit me…another saying.

“I never stole from somebody I didn’t like”

I’m not sure where I heard it (I think Young Guns). Admit it or not, we fight the most with those closest to us. Maybe that is the case even here. In this group of broken people we fit in, and we fit in more completely than many of us will admit. We are more comfortable here, more at ease, and know what to say to each other to get the desired response. If we want to fight, we know exactly what to say to get the desired result, whatever it may be.

I have to believe that at one time or another we all realize there are many people lurking here, wherever this is posted, and perhaps there are some who are just looking around for the first time and see us in the middle of a tiff, and think “the Society was right about those people”, but at the same time, now I think maybe they would see more than that, maybe there would be something in the way we communicate that we don’t even understand which will keep them around. I hope that is the case.

Alongside this however, is the realization that I know nothing. As I learn more and see more and cram my foot in my mouth over and over again, the realization hits me; I have no power or ability on my own to touch a person’s heart, or help them find anything they cannot find on their own or from someone else. Maybe it was disillusionment on my part; perhaps it was simply one of the last things I needed to get rid of, the need to “save” someone.

Then I look around at my life, it is a myriad of undone things, memories to be created for my children, a career to be built for me, a dream home in the mountains that I want to live in and share with someone, and new friends to meet and enjoy. Why am I typing this, hell I don’t know. Like I said, for some reason it just seems right to say. Maybe it’s to say thanks for giving me a new future, for letting me learn from your mistakes and successes. Maybe it’s to let others know what this feels like so they can relate even to this part of recovery.

In any case, thank you all.

WLG

• damselfly
    damselfly
    Now I feel some things that are new. I am beginning to feel at peace with myself and what I came from, as well as where I am going.

I am very happy for you. I wish you luck in the rest of your journey, and for the record you did help me with some of your kind replies to my posts.

Thank you.

Dams

• Kaput
    Kaput

To WLG ---

HEAR HEAR !!

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Thank you, WLG!!!

Growing to not need the place is what its ultimately all about. Hopefully, you'll hang around some out of friendship?

If not, wherever life is taking you from here, happy travels and piss WITH the wind!

OldSoul

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

It is not a puppy. It is a mean old dog that smells and has a maggot infected wound.

But thanks for your post, it was nice and insightful.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Spot on.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Congrats that you can move on ... I rarely take place in bashing sessions (excepting Def'd & Scholar).

I visit this site less and less but it still is great therapy to come back and contribute from time to time - for people that have been in my shoes. As my wife and I move away and begin our fade I will probably need JWD even more.

I do miss people on this site that move on so check on in from time to time. (That means you too IP_SEC).

-ithinkisee

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Having been associated with online JW-related activities for near 9 years, meeting so many people and developing so many relationships, I'm 'fading away' as it were because life has so much more to offer. But I'll never disappear entirely. My email [email protected] will always be there. AlanF, Eduardo, and my other friends can still call me on the old fashioned telephone whenever they want and I'll drop whatever I'm doing for them. But hell, that goes for all of you. :)

• defd
    defd

Also with it I found an intense sense of a need to help, and to get involved. Involved in “saving” my brother, which I still hope to do, as well as get involved making the forum(s) better.

Thats great. In all sincerity you can start by removing the pic or avatar or what ever yall call it that appears on the forum. That is just my opinion and suggestion.

• under74
    under74

Defd, you keep making a jerk out of yourself...over and over. If you're offended, don't look.

WLG- I understand what you mean about the boards....from what I've seen it's died down over here. I wouldn't be able to tell you about the other board since my account there got deleted (not that it matters). I've been a bit bewildered at what's been happening myself....Anyway, I hope you don't make yourself scarce here. I've always appreciated seeing your posts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit