When believers attack!

by daystar 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shining One
    Shining One

Kid A,
    >As I have always stated, if I was given unequivocal evidence for the existence of a god, I would most certainly accept this fact at a logical level (regardless of how I felt about it at an emotional level).
    1) If you do not see the evidence in creation, you have no beginning point of reference.
    2) You will find no supernatural in the natural world. If you did you would no doubt say you were seeing things.
    >However, whenever I have debated with theists (and I cant speak for anybody on this board) they have flatly stated that no matter how much solid evidence was presented to them proving the non-existence of god, they would never accept this.
    What does 'solid', 'evidence' and 'proof' mean to you? Can all three be true at once?
    >In other words, my belief system is falsifiable and I have enough humility to accept that I may be mistaken. The theists I have discussed this with, simply reject a priori the possibility of their belief system being in error.
    I don't know about them but I do know that I have a personal relationship with the person of Jesus Christ. He is absolutely more 'real' than any alleged scientific evidence to the contrary.
    Rex

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    What sort of strength and courage might it take to accept such a possibility? What would such a person be like?

I believe that when the internal pain gets larger than the imposed fears many people will make the decision to step into the unknown.

It isn't easy. But for many it saves the essence of the person. Once the cognitive distortion has collaped then the decision to remain with the old imposed beliefs becomes too difficult.

Women who have been abused in their marriages do this every day. Many choose to stay because the fear immobilizes them. But more and more they are stepping out in the unknown hoping they will find a way to survive.

I think leaving the cult is exactly the same process.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Lady Lee I couldn't agree with you more.

• daystar
    daystar
    I think leaving the cult is exactly the same process.

I suspect you to be right. I think these suggestions might be applied to many different scenarios.

I will quote here something that I quote often, as it applies:

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Healthy doses of scepticism...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit