When believers attack!

by daystar 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daystar
    daystar

“People often react most defensively when challenged not on their firmly held beliefs but on beliefs they wish were true but suspect at some level to be false...”

- Christopher F. Chabris

* Snagged from an acquaintance's site as I thought it might be of interest here.

I have often found such a thing to be true. I have experienced many times a very violent reaction when cracks are pointed out in one's set of beliefs. I can recall acting the same way when I was a JW to tough challenges. Why do people react this way?

I highly suspect that the main reason is fear of the unknown, of having their rules about life called into question. We, as humans, seem to tend towards order. We need that order to, well, order our lives. We also want hope. We want to believe in some better future. When all of that is called into question, it seems understandable for me that people react in such a way.

But I think, really, it is a sign of weakness as well. The chaos that any real challenge to our beliefs threatens requires strength to maintain within. In the unknown, in that chaos, there is the risk of madness. We've all heard stories of an elder, brother, or sister who had to be placed in a psychiatric ward after being disfellowshipped... perhaps the strain of keeping the threads together was simply too much to bear?

Fear of the unknown, of chaos. Also, fear of our own power and of the responsibility we must take when confronted with the great unknown, all alone.

Perhaps, just perhaps, there is not such a gift of heaven, or everlasting life in store for us? Perhaps, just perhaps, this is all there is. Perhaps when we die, there is nothing else. Perhaps we must make the very best of this life, now.

What sort of strength and courage might it take to accept such a possibility? What would such a person be like?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Excellent quote.. I would definitely agree with it!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Are those comments restricted to religio-spiritual beliefs, or do they hold good for secular ones, too?

Good post

• jgnat
    jgnat

One of my favorites, she made me think long and hard about my own motives. She died young living up to her ideals.

Those who serve a cause are not those who love that cause. They are those who love the life which has to be led in order to serve it, except in the case of the very purest, and they are rare. Simone Weil

• daystar
    daystar

LT

Are those comments restricted to religio-spiritual beliefs, or do they hold good for secular ones, too?

I think it can true of non-religious beliefs as well. However, religio-spiritual beliefs tend to relate to or instruct one's core values and thus are more central to one's entire worldview. When challenged, if those core values run the risk of being falsified, then much, much more is at risk.

• Scully
    Scully
    “People often react most defensively when challenged not on their firmly held beliefs but on beliefs they wish were true but suspect at some level to be false...”
    - Christopher F. Chabris
    I have often found such a thing to be true. I have experienced many times a very violent reaction when cracks are pointed out in one's set of beliefs.

When discussing the JW child sexual abuse issue with a JW relative a while back, I was really taken by surprise by the violent reaction I received. Actually, what happened was that the JW relative started attacking my profession with a lot of hostility and making accusations about people in my profession who were guilty of child abuse and claimed that it would only be fair to paint all of my colleagues with the same brush, since JW child molesters were targeted as "JWs" not just as "child molesters". My JW relative wasn't even able to wrap his head around my profession's mandated responsibility to report "suspicions" and "concerns" about child sexual abuse, even though the WTS advises JW Elders to leave it to the parents' discretion to make the report and do not get involved beyond that.

When it comes to something "dear to the heart" like a belief system, defending it passionately in the face of being unable to defend it logically, is the only way to maintain the façade of legitimacy.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Here is a bumper sticker that's an old goodie...

• kid-A
    kid-A

I think there is an important distinction, however between these two modes of belief.

As I have always stated, if I was given unequivocal evidence for the existence of a god, I would most certainly accept this fact at a logical level (regardless of how I felt about it at an emotional level). However, whenever I have debated with theists (and I cant speak for anybody on this board) they have flatly stated that no matter how much solid evidence was presented to them proving the non-existence of god, they would never accept this. In other words, my belief system is falsifiable and I have enough humility to accept that I may be mistaken. The theists I have discussed this with, simply reject a priori the possibility of their belief system being in error.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

My sense is that beliefs become incorporated within our personal identity, and when the fragile ramparts, those weak spots where even we secretly question are threatened, then the engines of self-preservation are fired up.

j

• daystar
    daystar

JT

My sense is that beliefs become incorporated within our personal identity, and when the fragile ramparts, those weak spots where even we secretly question are threatened, then the engines of self-preservation are fired up.

Very concise. Thank you.

LT

I think, secularly, you might see the same sort of reaction from staid party-liners in the political arena as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit