From Jw to born again .................

by vitty 35 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

When I was "in" the borg ( I love that word) I really , really believed that when ppl left it, they became like the undead. With no direction in life and no RELIGION, I felt sorry for them.

I never thought that they became ............born again or heaven forbid CATHOLIC !!!!!!

When I first started looking at sites on the internet I came across www.jwinfoline.com what an eye opener ! I listened to the tapes of exJWs experiences and just couldnt believe it. Hundreds of ExJWs become born again.

Then I thought about it and never in 20 years had I known of a born again becoming a witness, not one. I knew of a very devout Baptist and the scores of Catholics and with the foreign languages, some muslim.

So I dont know if I have a question or if its just an observation, but why??????

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

[1] Great big, beautiful, juicy carrot.

[2] Hidden stick.

[3] "Shiny, happy, people!"

• under74
    under74

Well...my older sister became born again about 5 years after my family left. Right now she's not really going to church although I don't think she's totally let go of it. All I can attribute her conversion to is she was in a hard place when she decided to start attending the church....and she never got over being a JW...she needed something to fill that "god shaped hole" from what I can see. She knows no one else in our immediate family believes so there could be much I don't know.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Define "Born Again".

• If you mean Fundamentalist - they already have their own kind of crazy and don't need another similar.
    • If you mean Charismatic (e.g. Pentecostal) - they would be bored stiff and notice the lack of liveliness.
    • If you mean "born of the Spirit" - they already have Christ and notice His absence from the WTS, even if their own denomination were lack-luster.

Believe it or not I fall into the latter category. Since I was content as a god-loving JW Elder at the time, the "God shaped hole" argument is moot, in my own case. I'm not afraid of God, I rarely think about reward / afterlife, and would suggest that I have none of the usual attractions that are a caricature of someone "getting Jesus".

To know Him is to love Him.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    If you mean Fundamentalist - they already have their own kind of crazy and don't need another similar.

Hmmmmmmm.

Thought twice about asking this but . . . . define crazy.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

LT:
    I resemble that!

• under74
    under74

Just to clarify--For me I guess my sister's case has more to do with fudamentalism. She told me about 3 years ago that if I wasn't born again that I wouldn't make it to heaven. Although I don't believe in heaven, I think that's a pretty sh**ty thing for a family member to say to another...falls too close to JW ideals for me. But don't get me wrong, I have christian friends that I know don't think I'll go to hell just because I don't think the same way they do. And I don't think they're stupid for not thinking the way I do. But at this point I don't know what my sister thinks. She's not attending church that I know of and we don't talk about it...or at least I try not too in order to avoid conflict. BUT she's my sister and I love her even if she was to think God didn't like me for not being born-again.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nic:I simply mean that I would put far-right [Christian / Muslim / JW / Atheist] fundamentalists in a similar camp. The theology changes, but the attitude doesn't

Ozzie:
    Which definition?

• Satanus
    Satanus

If they were drugs, the born again one would be cut to 40% strength, while the wt one would be .000001%. Who would go on .000001 after experiencing 40?

S

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I met an ex-Born Again Preacher who was studying to become an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi. Oddly enough, he said there was an ex-Mormon in his Rabbinical school who was also studying to be a Rabbi.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit