Well, I handled that amazingly well...

by Joel Wideman 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Andrea Wideman
    Andrea Wideman

Actually the kids would never go with the JW's. They had planned on leaving it at 18 anyway. I think that before our household was divided but that now we are all on same track. It feels really good.

• SamIam1976
    SamIam1976

Good evening Andrea and Joel, :)

Both of you have a lot of courage to stand up for your kids and yourselves. I had to do the same thing with my parents and my children. My oldest is 4 and absolutely loves his grandpa! He will follow him anywhere. Exept to the KH that is. I used to leave him with my parents (before my daughter was born) and each time my husband and I would instruct them that they were NOT to bring him to the KH for the Sunday meeting. We even arranged to pick him up before they were supposed to go to their meeting. But...each time they would ignore us and bring him anyway. It was their excuse to show off their 1st born grandson. After the second time they did this to us we said ok no more babysitting overnight. Since my daughter has been born their visits have been at OUR home at OUR convenience. NOT THEIR'S. And its worked out perfectly well. My father has also stopped talking to me about the goings on at Bethel and the "brothers and sisters" from my home congregation. LOL I guess my half-hearted "uh=huh's" and non-responses clued him in that I really don't care about that part of my old life anymore. I also shared my DA letter with them and they actually hugged me after they read it and told me they were proud of me for sticking to my principals. ?? I am still trying to figure that one out. LOL But my husband says just take what I can get and shut the hell up. <haha> Maybe he's right. :)

I have found it particularly hard to stand up for myself where my "faithful" JW parents are concerned. But its now been 11 years outside of their control and I have had plenty of practice standing up for myself and protecting my children. I love them too much to subject them to such misery.

My hat goes off to the two of you. Keep up the good work God knows its not easy to put up with our families.

Sherry

• doffy
    doffy

Well done Joel (and Andrea!)

"We would love to have dinner with you as a family. Myself, Andrea, the kids, and you."

Brilliant.

My dad told me (after years of my battling to keep in touch with them) that it was a mistake to ever have a relationship with me. Obviously that includes my children then. If they cannot respect me, my husband and my marriage, then they sure aren't having time alone with my children. I have said I will take the children to their house, and they are welcome in my house, but they will not be allowed the children on their own.

That was years ago, and was 'pretty much it'. The only time I have contact with me parents now is if one of my brothers is at their house (eg one of my borthers was sick, and I went to visit him while he stayed with my parents).

You have done the right thing. But you knew that already!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit