Service Meeting for Week Starting October 3, 2005

by TheListener 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheListener
    TheListener

Song 54

5 min: Local announcements.

20 min: "Help Others to Become 'Obedient From the Heart.'" * As time permits, invite audience to comment on the cited scriptures.

20 min: Making Jehovah's Heart Rejoice. (Prov. 27:11) Interview two or three long-time faithful servants of Jehovah. Invite each to relate one or two things that have helped them to maintain their obedience to Jehovah. Among the things that might be mentioned are diligent personal Bible study, regular meeting attendance, association with other loyal ones, whole-souled participating in the field ministry, heartfelt prayer, and avoiding unwholesome entertainment. What tests of obedience did they face, and how did they meet those tests successfully? How have they been blessed for their obedience?

Song 170 and concluding prayer.

* Limit introductory comments to less than a minute, and follow iwth a question-and-answer discussion.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Is "obedience" the focus this year? First the "Godly Obedience" DC and now this service meeting. It's sad how it's guised as obedience to Jehovah when in reality it's obedience to a man-made organization. Very sad indeed.
    tp

• minimus
    minimus

I feel bad for the "exemplary ones". They must be in every demo. There's so few of them left!

• TheListener
    TheListener

Yes, obedience. But, we do not follow a written law code. Our law is written on our hearts....and changed with each WT.

• tall penguin
  • Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

There must have been at least five meetings since they had the 20-minute part of helping the sick and the elderly. You'd think by now they would have some sort of arrangement to follow through on this. Guess they've forgotten all about it. Besides, the preaching work takes precedence.

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

Among the things that might be mentioned are diligent personal Bible study, regular meeting attendance, association with other loyal ones, whole-souled participating in the field ministry, heartfelt prayer, and avoiding unwholesome entertainment.

Oh, that's rich. First of all, I like how they use the word "might", as if the guy giving the talk is gonna read that and say, "Well, it says 'might', so I don't really have to talk about that list of things there, I'll talk about something else." If he did that you can bet he wouldn't be doing service meeting parts for a while.

And in view of the "new light" that was just given at the last district convention about not taking for granted that a JW is good association just because he's baptized and regular, pretty soon they're gonna have to post a list of who's loyal and who's not. Otherwise people might unwittingly find themselves hanging out with wolves in sheep's clothing. You know, like the elders.

It really gets to me how Proverbs 27:11 is tossed in as the scriptural punctuation for just about every crackpot piece of "counsel" they throw out. The way they use it basically allows them to say, "Do what we tell you or you're going to prove yourself unwise, and you'll probably make God cry you miserable little ingrate."

CD (of the I'm trying to quit smoking, and am feeling particularly caustic tonight class)

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    Among the things that might be mentioned are diligent personal Bible study, regular meeting attendance, association with other loyal ones, whole-souled participating in the field ministry, heartfelt prayer, and avoiding unwholesome entertainment.

Ah; nothing like heartfelt and sincere comments from the bro's and sisters.

I was thinking of three things that help some elders i grew up with cope:

Johnny, Jim and Jack. And Bud.

One elder I grew up with went from passing out at mexican dinner to elder in 2 short months. His favorite place to go is the brewery; it is like a religion to him.

The day I realized I did not really know him like I thought was when he told his daughter he could not date a black brother. Ya see, his sister had a bad experience with one.

A real hiding place from the wind, eh?

HANG IN THERE WITH THE QUITTING CD; I AM ROOTING FOR YA.

Coffee this week?

• What_is_ur_point
    What_is_ur_point

It's usually the same people on the stage... Same people commenting. .. very controlled. Nothing OFF TOPIC...

• steve2
    steve2
    * Limit introductory comments to less than a minute, and follow iwth a question-and-answer discussion.

This line alone is enough to bring me out in a cold sweat. Talk about having an intrusive flashback experience. Infantile instructions for infants? This is my game and I'm gonna make all the rules!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit