Herbert Armstrong/WWCOG ??

by Junction-Guy 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• luna2
    luna2

I must have a natural attraction to nutjob religions. I looked into the WWCoG before I hooked up with the JWs. However, since I found the information in their magazines too convoluted, I let it drop. Then the Witnesses and Mormons came to my door...like a few days apart. The Mormons lost out cuz the JWs got to me first and I didn't want to try to study two very different religions at the same time. You really do get the feeling that somebody is directing this sh*t, but it ain't a loving God.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

It's amazing how rumors and misundersatndings get spread in the JW underground and among apostastes. Armstrong was never associated with JWs and his rag "The Plain Truth" only resembled the "Watchtower." This is similar to how people claim CT Russell was influence by 7th Day Adventists, when Russell wrote that he never read nor was familiar of Ellen White's work.

BTW thanks for the call last night, Alan.

Cygnus, of the 'name-dropping' class (been accused of that elsewhere and find it funny, considering I've been "around" for 9 years)

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I actually wrote a letter to Herbert Armstrong Senior in the early 1960's asking him if he had ever been one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and he mailed me a letter back stating that he never had been, although he did get the Watchtower magazine because he wanted to know what they believed. If I looked hard enough, I might be able to find the letter.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Armstrong always denied any affiliation with the WTBTS/JW's. I was raised in the WWCoG cult My parents fell under his spell in 1958. Although I was never baptised by them, I did believe their doctrines until one of the JW's became my friend and the indoctrination began. The doctrines were very similar so it didn't require too much persuasion for me to accept the WT teachings. As far as I know, the only affiliation the WTBTS and H.W. Armstrong have had is they serve the same spirits.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus
    The doctrines were very similar

Except for the Fundamental Doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses, which is that their leadership, the Governing Body, is always right and never to be questioned, even when they're wrong.

• Poztate
    Poztate

Welcome Back Alan

The WWCOG and the DUBS were very much alike. I believe Herbie and Freddy both had a thing about "1975"

The only good thing about WWCOG is that they finally apologised for a lot of their flakey ideas.

You will NEVER see the WT do that. They always blame their mistakes on the rank and file.

• sf
    sf

Today, on DR. PHIL [ http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/591/ ] :

The Family Cult

Dr. Phil goes inside a shocking cult where 9-year-olds were known to have sex with 25-year-olds — on dates set up by their parents. What began as a typical 60s commune became a den of alleged sexual molestation, prostitution and extreme physical abuse … all in the name of God.

Inside the CultDr. Phil gives an update on an abusive religious sect that he and his son Jay exposed last season.

Tortured Memories

Several ex-members of the Children of God have been so haunted by the abuse, they’ve committed suicide. One survivor, Ricky Rodriquez, made headlines earlier this year when he murdered a former cult member and then killed himself.

A Daughter's Dilemma

Kristi says she can’t forgive her father, Jim, for the years of painful abuse she suffered at the hands of this cult. They reunited after 16 years, but she thinks his motives are for financial gain.

The Family’s Legacy China and her husband John, left the group together. Her brother committed suicide last year, and she worries that more ex-members will suffer the same fate.

• sf
    sf

Pardon me, don't forget the messageboard:

http://www.drphil.com/messageboard/topic/534

sKally

• stev
    stev

The webpage below has a fascinating analysis of the WWCOG, and its historical links to Russell and the JWs, due to the common Adventist heritage of both groups, and likely due to Armstrong reading Russell's works. The author displays a deep understanding of these matters by the discussion of the born again doctrine after the resurrection, by linking Adventist George Stetson's teaching to Russell and then to Bible Students groups, which bear a similarity to Armstrong's teachings.

http://www.giveshare.org/hrp/cogsdarusseliteschristadelphians.html

I have also wondered about the similarity of the Armstrong's book title "The Mystery of the Ages" with the Russell's "The Divine Plan of the Ages," which had a chapter on "The Hidden Mystery," and Russell's doctrine of the Church's attaining to the divine nature with Armstrong's doctrine of the God family.

Steve

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

There is an interesting article at http://www.wcg.org/lit/AboutUs/media/forgive.htm entitled "forgive us our trespasses." by the new leader. It shows how the previous teachings, which were very similar to JW's were flawed and they now believe similar to main stream Christianity. They have adopted the Trinity, the Cross, and Christmas.
    I doubt the WTS will ever do the same. Since changing doctrine WCG membership is now just a fraction of what it was under Armstrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit